Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi,

The TV replay segments showed that Singler was fouled BUT, is it possible that MulletMan saw something in person that occured before the cameras starting filming that exchange? IOW's, how did Singler have such good position when the replay segments started?

If this is not the case, then is it possible for MulletMan to carpool (in order to help the environment) to an eye doctor with the zebras?

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    But he does the exact same thing.
    I very much disagree. K doesn't go after every call, in fact, he's pretty good at just choosing the ones that are REALLY bad. I see him sitting on the bench "smelling his finger" a lot during bad calls.

WRT the foul, I had a very good view of it in person, saw Singler do nothing at all to get that position, except box out like he should. My voice was ragged by that point in the game, but I SCREAMED about it nonetheless. Even the Wisconsin fan next to me didn't quite understand the call.

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    Honestly, all this hand-wringing over the Singler foul is a little silly. Where's the outrage over the foul on the Wiscy guard who had the audacity to be directly in Henderson's path when DeMarcus threw Gerald the alley toward the end of the first half?

The crew missed some plays last night. Some went for Duke, some went against Duke. Nothing to see here.
    True enough. I thought that there were quite a few bad calls in the game (as well as in the GT game before it) and you just have to hope that you get at least your fair share of them. I think that we did have enough of them go our way last night (the one mentioned above seemed an awful call as well that went in our favor). The main thing is that our team played really well.

there were several bad calls for both sides. the call against smith in the first half was bad against us (the charging call). but there was a call that we got when gerald went over the back of a wisconsin guy who had him blocked out and they called the fall on the badger.

i thought it was pretty much a wash in the foul department.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Agree that there were incorrect calls against both teams that largely balanced out. The foul on Singler before the technical was definitely a mistake imho. My thoughts at the time was that the refs. conceeded it to Wisconsin because of the technical and Bo Ryans histrionics.

Dickie V and his partner were babbling on before the play about nothing connected to the game, as usual, and seemed totally unaware that a T had been called or whatelse was happening while the refs. conferred. Dickie was worse than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    the reason the wisconsin player shot the free throws first is because Duke would be receiving the ball after the technicals. If it was a garden variety technical (that sounds so stupid, i mean direct/indirect, not intentional/flagrant), Duke would have shot the free throws and then the game would have moved to the other end in a regular 1+1 sequence for wisconsin as would have normally happened in the course of the game.
    Correct. This happened in a Gonzaga game just the other day I was watching.

The intentional technical made it so Duke got the ball back.

On another vein, I was surprised at the intentional foul called as Singler was driving to the basket in the second half. Looked to me like the Wisconsin player went for the ball. Ref had a different angle, though.

it was the right call. The badger went for his arms (upper arms) to hold singler down before he could start the motion to go up. there was no intent to go after the ball, but also no intent to harm, just keep him from going up.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Honestly, all this hand-wringing over the Singler foul is a little silly. Where's the outrage over the foul on the Wiscy guard who had the audacity to be directly in Henderson's path when DeMarcus threw Gerald the alley toward the end of the first half?

The crew missed some plays last night. Some went for Duke, some went against Duke. Nothing to see here.
    I don't see any outrage over the bad call regarding Singler. There was a question asked, and the question was answered, that's all.

In regards to the other play you reference, yeah, that was a bad call, too. But that wasn't the question asked.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    I see him sitting on the bench "smelling his finger" a lot during bad calls.
    Talk about Too Much Information . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I have a question about the play where Singler was eventually pushed over a Wisconsin player, resulting in a technical. It appeared to me in the replay that Singler had position on the Wisconsin player, who, in desperation, threw his gigantic arm over Singler's shoulder and tried to hold him down, then lost his balance when Singler was too strong for him going for the rebound. How is this a foul on Singler? I just don't understand it. I thought that would be a pretty basic foul for over the back or something on the Wisconsin player.

Thanks.
    I think it's basic psychology. They were going to call the intentional technical on Wisc, so they made the "could go either way" call go against Duke. It's not right. It's probably not conscious. But, that's what happens.
    The Gordog

it was the right call. The badger went for his arms (upper arms) to hold singler down before he could start the motion to go up. there was no intent to go after the ball, but also no intent to harm, just keep him from going up.
    FWIW, ESPN had really, really bad camera angles on a lot of the big plays last night. This was one example. From the angle I saw, it looked like he went for the ball, but if what you're describing is what happened, then it was indeed a good call.

They totally screwed up Markie's big jam in the second half, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    I don't see any outrage over the bad call regarding Singler. There was a question asked, and the question was answered, that's all.

In regards to the other play you reference, yeah, that was a bad call, too. But that wasn't the question asked.
    To be honest, there were a lot of bad calls. However, if you're going to be outraged at one, it should be the one that went against Nolan Smith in the first half when he was called for a charge.

I thought on that one, if the ref doesn't call a block, it should be a no-call. Nolan didn't initiate any contact, in fact, he turned and slid sideways on the layup attempt to try to NOT draw contact.

But I digress...
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post

Fair enough, GV. "Outrage" was certainly a poor choice of words. I think I've probably become a little bit cynical about Duke fans carping on officiating, and I'm becoming decreasingly able to sort the I-have-a-legitimate-question form of complaint from the hmmm-this-looks-awfully-suspicious brand. I concede that I overreacted in this case.

FWIW, I saw two plays last night that I thought were poor, and the Singler tangle was not one of them (that doesn't mean I agree with the ruling). I thought the PC on Nolan was really marginal, as I thought Smith made a fantastic athletic move to slide across the defender's chest without doing much at all to displace him. The other play was the foul against the Wiscy guard on the oop.

I just felt like if we were going to talk plays, we needed to include one that went in our favor. Obviously, though, that's only true if one's hypothesis is that there's something sinister going on. I jumped to a bad conclusion, I've apologized, everybody's happy. Nothing to see here.

Cheers.

To be honest, there were a lot of bad calls. However, if you're going to be outraged at one, it should be the one that went against Nolan Smith in the first half when he was called for a charge.

I thought on that one, if the ref doesn't call a block, it should be a no-call. Nolan didn't initiate any contact, in fact, he turned and slid sideways on the layup attempt to try to NOT draw contact.

But I digress...
    Agreed, and Coach K's reaction was classic - one of his more animated "non-angry" reactions. More of total disbelief.

-EarlJam

Red face That wasn't my intention...

I wasn't outraged or hand-wringing. I was confused. Since the commentators never addressed the foul, I just assumed that Singler had fouled him and that I was somehow missing it. The commentators were just like "there's what Singler did, and there's the shove". I just couldn't find anything Singler did wrong. In fact, it looked more like the other guy had fouled Singler. So, like I said, I was more trying to correct my ignorance than to gripe about the foul. My immediate reaction was "wow, it looked to me like Singler got fouled twice" and I just couldn't see it. I guess I expected the commentators to say something about what Singler did wrong, or how it was a bad call. They're always pointing out hooks that don't get called, and this looked like the king of hooks to me, over the shoulder. Anyway, I figured you guys could point out to me what I was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Agreed, and Coach K's reaction was classic - one of his more animated "non-angry" reactions. More of total disbelief.

-EarlJam
    My favorite was when the crazies started the "I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref" chant, and K applauded". It was at some point during the string of 4 consecutive fouls. Classic.

As far as the intentional goes, from my angle (front row of the grad student section, on the side of the court where the foul occurred), it looked pretty clear that there was no intent to go for the ball, just to keep Singler from elevating. As another said, no intent to harm, but no real try for the ball.

Lotsa Bad Calls

As has been pointed out, there were numerous questionable calls, including the alley-oop call that went against Wisc. But I think it sorta evened out for both teams by the end of the game.

But just to add to the discussion, I thought the foul that bloodied Singler was particularly egregious. I didn't get a good look from the replay but it seemed to me the Wisconsin player basically just took a shot at Kyle's head and didn't get close to the ball. The fact that Singler crashed to floor and rose up covered in blood reminded me of the Henderson smashup of TH that everyone made such a big deal of in last year's UNC game.

No one seemed to think anything of this one though. Maybe it wasn't that bad in "real life" but the end result was pretty severe for Singler. He jumped right back into the game, though, which was fierce. I loved it.

Wisconsin is typical of that league -- big bruising heavyweights who throw punches the entire game. I don't usually like close-called games, but I thought the refs overall did a decent job of keeping the game honest and didn't let it get out-of-hand physically. Which is why (I believe) they called that technical on the Duke layup -- they didn't want it to lead to fisticuffs all over the floor since it was clear the Duke players were getting steamed by the rough play on Wisconsin's part.

It could have been a really nasty game, but it wasn't. A few bad calls on each team were not that big a price to pay for that, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    But he does the exact same thing.
    Not for every foul call against him.

I think if Singler had come down with the ball it would have been a Wisconsin foul. Whosoever had possession won the moment. The technical was proper. The best reaction by the Wisconsin player would have been to catch Kyle with a hug rather than pop him with a forearm shiver.

righto

there were several bad calls for both sides. the call against smith in the first half was bad against us (the charging call). but there was a call that we got when gerald went over the back of a wisconsin guy who had him blocked out and they called the fall on the badger.

i thought it was pretty much a wash in the foul department.
    The officials are definitely in early season form. There must be an initiative to call more because the whistle is blowing a lot. The decisions on charges vs. blocks have been poor in a number of cases. I really hope it shapes up because there have been too many WTF calls in the first few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post

Wisconsin is typical of that league -- big bruising heavyweights who throw punches the entire game.
    I don't think so. They have lots of height, but Butch is far from a bruiser and Leuer looks like he weights about as much as me, despite being 7 feet tall. Stiemsma is about as blue-collar as it gets for them, and even he is not exactly beefy.