Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kyle Singler is Iron

There are no words for Kyle Singler. I just – have the utmost respect for him. He has an iron core. You knock him down – and he just keeps coming at you. 1 minute after being knocked to the floor, nearly unconscious, from that ridiculous, WWF-type smackdown under the basket as he tried to make a drive – he’s stitched up by the miracle doctor from Duke, and he’s running up and back into the game without a second’s hesitation.

It seems like every game, he’s been the target of brutality simply because he is too quick and too strong to guard. Tonight, for instance: what was that swipe as he stole the ball along the baseline and drove to the basket? What the hell was that massive, WWF-type body slam as he drove the lane to the basket – resulting in him crashing head-first hard onto the concrete floor and cutting his eye open? And what was that pushing him off, when he just accidentally bumped into Flowers as he was tripped/pushed/mauled off that fight for the rebound?

It all seemed to have started with that Illinois game, when Frazier made those buggy eyes at Singler after their collision for the loose ball. Then in the Marquette endgame, Fitzgerald slams into Singler all the way from across the FT line, as if he actually had a chance at the rebound, while throwing an elbow out intentionally to try to hurt his face, as Kyle comes crashing down hard onto the floor on his back, shielding himself best he can. And now this game (THREE TIMES). Yes, we need a day off from practice, Coach K. We need to give Kyle some rest!

If anyone’s at Duke and sees him after this game – please give him my shout out. He has a heart as big as a mountain – and I can almost see him, after the national title game on April 7, 2008 – flashing that gorgeous, toothy smile to the cameras after being voted NCAA tournament MVP.

Call it. Duke, 2008. For the national crown.

Q:What is an antoymn of Kyle Singler?

A: Josh McRoberts

Q. What is an antoymn?

Q. Why are you bashing McRoberts?
    ~rthomas

*whew* thought it was a Rocky IV reference (Drago: He's like a piece of iron.)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Q. What is an antoymn?

1. I'm guessing that you're referring to the (mis)spelling of "antonym"?

2. Agreed. Can't we finally give the McRob bashing a rest, and just savor the fact that Singler looks to be an upgrade and the team as a whole looks to be a different (improved) animal than last year's squad? If things were looking WORSE than last year (due to McRob's departure), I could understand it. Personally, I always liked Josh and wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Q. What is an antoymn?

funny.

i wonder if kyle doesnt do some a little trash talking. havent seen it, and this is pure speculation, but i agree that people seem to kinda come after him.

then again, maybe its cause he's the good white guy at duke...

A-C-C! A-C-C!

Kyle Singler does not sleep. He waits.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Freshman

Singler has been an absolute joy to watch. Its amazing that he is a freshman. Duke has had some great ones throughout the years but not as freshman, they're not supposed to play this way. Its like he was created for basketball, down to his haircut and pale complexion, IE. gym rat. There are just so many intangibles to his game. And then when you think about how he led the team in the timed mile in the off-season (under 5 minutes) at 6-8, words are hard to come by. I'm going to appreciate watching him while he is at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Its like he was created for basketball, down to his haircut and pale complexion, IE. gym rat.
    I always assumed his haircut was Coach K's influence. Didn't he have an Adam Morrison-style do in high school?

Unhappy Kyle Singler and the Crystal Ball

I LOVE watching Kyle Singler play for Duke. I LOVE this team. But I also am thinking about the rest of the season, and I think that Singler is going to hit the freshman wall. Hard. He's a natural 3 - can knock down the three, drives to the basket well, and all the other things you'd like a small forward to do. Unfortunately, he's playing the 4 and 5 for us. He's got an incredible body for a kid his age, but I just don't see him holding up at the end of the season playing down low - especially on defense - when we need him to. This makes me worried about February and March, because I don't think all this abuse he's taking is going to be good for the team.

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

Quote Originally Posted by grc5 View Post
    Kyle Singler does not sleep. He waits.

... with his eyes closed to conserve energy.

And yeah, he had serious floppy hair. I think K makes them cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I LOVE watching Kyle Singler play for Duke. I LOVE this team. But I also am thinking about the rest of the season, and I think that Singler is going to hit the freshman wall. Hard. He's a natural 3 - can knock down the three, drives to the basket well, and all the other things you'd like a small forward to do. Unfortunately, he's playing the 4 and 5 for us. He's got an incredible body for a kid his age, but I just don't see him holding up at the end of the season playing down low - especially on defense - when we need him to. This makes me worried about February and March, because I don't think all this abuse he's taking is going to be good for the team.

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana
    He may be a natural 3, but he was also a football player, and comes from a family of really good football players. I think he understands, and even relishes, punishing physical play. And mentally, well, let's just say the last guy who seemed this tough mentally wound up as the leading scorer in NCAA tournament history.

Kyle Singler may very well be made of iron.

Quote Originally Posted by delfrio View Post
    I always assumed his haircut was Coach K's influence. Didn't he have an Adam Morrison-style do in high school?
    It is Coach K's influence. McRoberts had to cut his hair and Lance had to get rid of the cornrows upon arriving as freshmen. They don't play around at West Point.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgenDukie View Post
    He may be a natural 3, but he was also a football player, and comes from a family of really good football players. I think he understands, and even relishes, punishing physical play. And mentally, well, let's just say the last guy who seemed this tough mentally wound up as the leading scorer in NCAA tournament history.

Kyle Singler may very well be made of iron.
    No doubt about it. If anything, that hit and resulting blood likely fired him up more. He's living the dream...a star at Duke and shedding blood while doing it. Kids like that love a good fight, physical play, and it's EXACTLY what this Duke team needed/needs.

-EarlJam

folks,

one word for Singler: warrior.

dth.

I wonder if there is anybody on this forum who would argue that last year's team was better than this year's team? What are the differences? Plus - Frosh are now Sophs, new Frosh are pretty darn good, injured players fixed up. Minus - McBob. I am not in anyway trying to diss McBob, but I do believe the plusses far offset the minus.
    Downside - no McBob's mom at the games. Upside - Singler's mom at some games.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I am not in anyway trying to diss McBob, but I do believe the plusses far offset the minus.
    You just did. It's just time to let go of last year. It's this year. We've had great years, good years, less than good years. We've had great players, good players, less than good, but they all are Dukies.
    ~rthomas

Rocky IV?

This string reminds me of Rocky IV where the Russian says "He's like a piece of iron," and his corner says, "Then bend him like a piece of iron." I can just picture Bo Ryan saying the same thing to his big men.

Singler's mother is a looker, indeed. She is welcome in Cameron.

And so is IRON MAN.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    This string reminds me of Rocky IV where the Russian says "He's like a piece of iron," and his corner says, "Then bend him like a piece of iron." I can just picture Bo Ryan saying the same thing to his big men.
    In Soviet Russia, the iron bends you.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine