Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hehehe UNC fans are funny

There is no less than 14 threads on the front page alone at the inside carolina board that are Duke related. There are several posters there that want a seperate section for duke related threads... Wow .. their fascination with Duke is flattering

Quote Originally Posted by cbfx3 View Post
    There is no less than 14 threads on the front page alone at the inside carolina board that are Duke related. There are several posters there that want a seperate section for duke related threads... Wow .. their fascination with Duke is flattering
    What is the gist of their conversations?

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by cbfx3 View Post
    To that point, can we close this thread now, please!

:0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest, I'm more interested with IC's Duke obsession than I am with the Carolina team itself. It is pretty extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    To be honest, I'm more interested with IC's Duke obsession than I am with the Carolina team itself. It is pretty extraordinary.
    Maryland's Duke obsession actually scares me!

Straight of the board:

The darkness has returned
    ladies and germs, ^$%^$%^$%^$%iedom is back and if mr lawson does not take it to the next level when his wheel gets better we are going to be the worse for it..

There are two types at inside carolina from what I can tell;

The few smart fans who hate Duke as they should, but who give the devil his due (no pun indended.)

and then

The HUGE amount of moronic masses who are COMPLETELY OBSESSED with Duke to the point that they talk more about Duke than Carolina. Seriously, they are CRAZY, and to be honest really embarassing. You would think being a fan of such an amazing program would give them more self-esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Maryland's Duke obsession actually scares me!
    Your avatar scares me. It looks like a cross between the wicked witch of Oz and Lee Harvey Oswald. And the gun is pointed at me!

-EarlJam

P.S. Not a serious criticism. Just making light. But it does intimidate me a little. I always found "The Wizard of Oz" to be creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Your avatar scares me. It looks like a cross between the wicked witch of Oz and Lee Harvey Oswald. And the gun is pointed at me!

-EarlJam

P.S. Not a serious criticism. Just making light. But it does intimidate me a little. I always found "The Wizard of Oz" to be creepy.
    Dont be scared of Les Diables Bleus!

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Dont be scared of Les Diables Bleus!
    The Duke Shooting Club used that picture for our shirts, with the caption "The Original Blue Devil". I get weird looks from people when I wear it (at Duke or otherwise).

Is Taylor King the President of this year's Duke Shooting Club?

Not "real" UNC fans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    There are two types at inside carolina from what I can tell;

The few smart fans who hate Duke as they should, but who give the devil his due (no pun indended.)

and then

The HUGE amount of moronic masses who are COMPLETELY OBSESSED with Duke to the point that they talk more about Duke than Carolina. Seriously, they are CRAZY, and to be honest really embarassing. You would think being a fan of such an amazing program would give them more self-esteem.

Being born and raised in the state of NC, and choosing Duke as my "school" during elementary school, and later attending Duke, I can tell you that UNC is like most other state schools in this nation. The vast majority of the "fans" have no affiliation with the school They didn't go the school, none of their relatives did, and few of their friends did. It is "the" state school, so you support it. Period.

Not having attended UNC, they have no true appreciation for either Basketball, or the rivalry. They rarely watch any game that isn't UNC, unless it is to check up on Duke. The only Duke games they watch are "big" games, be it non-conf or conf. rivals. Duke is the only measuring stick for their program, other than the NC.

I beleive that for every fan who has some affiliation with his school, there is a grudging respect for that schools rival. It may be wrapped in vitrolic hatred, but there is respect. Fans with no affiliation never really experience the rivalry, thus all they have is hatred and fear. Large schools have tons of these type of fans. Schools like Duke have very few, as the vast majority of our fans, at least those passionate enough to follow a board, have some connection with the school (or chose the school to follow due to sympathetic views on the importance of education, something many non-affiliated fans of state schools shun entirely). In other words, a Duke fan who didn't go to Duke is likely to have matriculated at a quality school somewhere. For UNC fans, many of their fans aren't smart enough to obtain a application to UNC, much less fill it out and get accepted.

Thus, at the sites for large state schools, the most vitrolic fans weren't smart enough to get into the school, and thus their opinions are basesless and unsupported. It's fun to gawk at, but those boards have no real merit.

Patrick Yates

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    What is the gist of their conversations?

-EJ
    Wow, IC is truly scary. There are 7 Topics with "Duke" in the subject line, and 5 topics with "D***" in the subject line on the FRONT PAGE. And the moderators have had to lock 3 of them b/c people are so obsessed. I have never actually looked at IC before, and I don't plan to again! Most of them are pretty senseless with nonsensical ramblings about how we're overrated, how our opponents have been overrated, Dukie V, DSPN, how K is a rat, how UNC would destroy us, how we rely solely on the 3, how Roy has more national titles than k since 2002, how Duke's PG stinks, how to correctly spell "D***", and then the occasionally thread that's started by somebody who says something that Duke does well, and then proceed to get ripped to shreds for saying that any player on our team did anything reasonably well....whoa

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post
    Being born and raised in the state of NC, and choosing Duke as my "school" during elementary school, and later attending Duke, I can tell you that UNC is like most other state schools in this nation. The vast majority of the "fans" have no affiliation with the school They didn't go the school, none of their relatives did, and few of their friends did. It is "the" state school, so you support it. Period.

Not having attended UNC, they have no true appreciation for either Basketball, or the rivalry. They rarely watch any game that isn't UNC, unless it is to check up on Duke. The only Duke games they watch are "big" games, be it non-conf or conf. rivals. Duke is the only measuring stick for their program, other than the NC.

I beleive that for every fan who has some affiliation with his school, there is a grudging respect for that schools rival. It may be wrapped in vitrolic hatred, but there is respect. Fans with no affiliation never really experience the rivalry, thus all they have is hatred and fear. Large schools have tons of these type of fans. Schools like Duke have very few, as the vast majority of our fans, at least those passionate enough to follow a board, have some connection with the school (or chose the school to follow due to sympathetic views on the importance of education, something many non-affiliated fans of state schools shun entirely). In other words, a Duke fan who didn't go to Duke is likely to have matriculated at a quality school somewhere. For UNC fans, many of their fans aren't smart enough to obtain a application to UNC, much less fill it out and get accepted.

Thus, at the sites for large state schools, the most vitrolic fans weren't smart enough to get into the school, and thus their opinions are basesless and unsupported. It's fun to gawk at, but those boards have no real merit.

Patrick Yates
    Good point. Definitely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Yates View Post

Patrick Yates
    I'm a NC native and Dukie as well, and I've heard this meme several times over the years (Wake fans also like to point to all the uneducated UNC fans who buy all their tacky gear at the local Wal*Mart, etc.). There's an elitist undercurrent to it, I guess reflecting how we're all adept at tweaking our rivals with whatever "weapons" we can fashion out of the differences between our schools.

I do feel, however, that the student population at Duke is a little more good-natured about the rivalry and about UNC in general. My very first visit to Duke as a HS student, I overheard a debate b/w Duke students re: the relative beauty of the 2 campuses, with several favoring UNC. I would be very surprised to overhear something similar in CH, and definitely not among the UNC alums I've known over the years. Been to several "UNC" weddings where toast after toast has been prefaced with references to shared time at "the greatest university in the world" --- said, unbelievably, without a hint of irony. In a way, I found all the hyperbole sweet, but not something I've ever witnessed among my Duke friends.

My explanation is that most UNC folks hail from NC and have grown up on the Duke-UNC rivalry; their Duke hatred has been boiled down through several generations. However, a large swath of incoming Duke students need an orientation on all of this when they get to campus; sure, they develop a certain amount of real hatred for our rivals, but at times it seems much more like a hat they've tried on just be be part of the fun...

To say that all (or even most) of the irrational posts on the IC board come from degree-less UNC fans is to severely underestimate the disgust many UNC alums feel for Duke...

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    However, a large swath of incoming Duke students need an orientation on all of this when they get to campus; sure, they develop a certain amount of real hatred for our rivals, but at times it seems much more like a hat they've tried on just be be part of the fun...
    My freshman year, someone on my hall asked me in all seriousness, "Now is it Carolina... or State that we have the big rivalry with?"

True Story.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    My freshman year, someone on my hall asked me in all seriousness, "Now is it Carolina... or State that we have the big rivalry with?"

True Story.
    Good Lord.

Did he/she finally come around? That's on the verge of being hopelessly lost.

-EarlJam

I'm going to agree with Patrick Yates and tux there. In the same vein (NC native and Dukie). most everyone i went to HS with were either state or carolina people. some because of family ties (my uncle and 2 of my cousins went to state, some people's parents went to state and/or carolina) but most because you either liked state or carolina. only a handful were duke fans. I didn't care then, don't really care now. most of the ones that were state/carolina fans didn't even go to college outside of the community college if at all so no skin off my astebula as far as the comparisons of the campuses (give me the gothic wonderland any day).
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    ...how Roy has more national titles than k since 2002...
    Wow, did they really narrow down the range like that? Reminds me of Steve Martin in The Jerk, telling a carnival patron which prizes were available...

Carnival Rube What'd I win?

Navin Uh, anything in this general area right in here. Anything below the stereo and on this side of the bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtrays and the thimble. Anything in this three inches right in here in this area. That includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers.

The Jerk had some of the best lines EVER.

I totally agree about the no affiliation thing; there are SO many Carolina fans who have no connection to Carolina. I have no respect for that at all. Sorry.