Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Anyone else think J-Will was a little braggy tonight ?
    I agree, but I think he was set up to do that - with the Dickie V clip and all. I have no inner knowledge, but I get the feeling that the pre-production meeting involved some focus on him. Since it's not a regular issue, I give him a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    At times I found him insufferable and reminded me a bit of Cory Alexander (not a compliment). At other times I thought he was providing really interesting, relatively unique analysis.
    That was my take as well

I did think he got better overall as the game went on, and don't see any reason why he can't be very good in the role

My recollection is that both Bobby and Jay were struggling as pros when they got hurt due to their lack of size. I think Jay would have settled in but Hurley would have had a tough time. Would have liked to see him have a chance though, which of course he never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    My recollection is that both Bobby and Jay were struggling as pros when they got hurt due to their lack of size. I think Jay would have settled in but Hurley would have had a tough time. Would have liked to see him have a chance though, which of course he never did.
    Bobby played just 19 games before his injury. Not sure you can draw conclusions there.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Anyone else think J-Will was a little braggy tonight ?
    I love J-Will as a player. As a media personality, he aint my cup of tea. But, he has read the media room properly, fully embraced hot take culture, and can bloviate with the best of them. I am not sure of the exact timing, but he was running with the "K may come back to coach the team" narrative last year, which had no basis in fact. Last night, he said Mintz should be taking 15-16 foul shots per game. I guess on and off the court, HE GOES BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I love J-Will as a player. As a media personality, he aint my cup of tea. But, he has read the media room properly, fully embraced hot take culture, and can bloviate with the best of them. I am not sure of the exact timing, but he was running with the "K may come back to coach the team" narrative last year, which had no basis in fact. Last night, he said Mintz should be taking 15-16 foul shots per game. I guess on and off the court, HE GOES BIG!
    I really didn't like Jay with the ESPN morning group, but he settled into that role over time. Here's hoping he does the same on broadcast.

I was also appalled by the "Nolan Smith is leaving so K might come back for another season" story that he put out there, but I was assured that he wasn't on an island with that report.

I guess I wasn't as upset with Jay as I was at the idea that it was a possibility - felt like it would have been a massive mistake made for emotional reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    As a media personality, [J-Will] ain't my cup of tea. But, he has read the media room properly, fully embraced hot take culture, and can bloviate with the best of them.
    I agree with this. J-Will is nowhere near as irritating as CA, but he and O達rien spent much of the game chatting about things other than the basketball game on the court below them. I suppose it痴 that ESPN is in the entertainment business. I prefer the announcers call and comment on the game. Not much of that last night from O達rien and J-Will. O達rien is a major offender, too, when paired with, serving as straight man to, CA.

I am sure that J-Will can be an expert comentator. Not last night, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    Bobby played only 19 games before his injury -- 26 mins, 6.1 assists, 7.1 pts. IMHO (where thecH disappeared during the 1991 celebration on yhe Quad) not exactly struggling at what he was drafted to do.

Watching parts of a Big East doubleheader on Fox. Big Seton Hall upset on the road vs. Providence (Go Pirates!) and now Xavier at Villanova. I know the Big East isn't everyone's cup of tea as it can be a little ugly, but it's still a lot of fun.

They have great announcers. Dave Sims and Donny Marshall did the first game. Sims has been around forever and is very solid. Donny Marshall is a really excellent analyst.

Brando and Raftery on the late game. Legends.

And they play Roundball Rock going to commercials. What more can you ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Watching parts of a Big East doubleheader on Fox. Big Seton Hall upset on the road vs. Providence (Go Pirates!) and now Xavier at Villanova. I know the Big East isn't everyone's cup of tea as it can be a little ugly, but it's still a lot of fun.

They have great announcers. Dave Sims and Donny Marshall did the first game. Sims has been around forever and is very solid. Donny Marshall is a really excellent analyst.

Brando and Raftery on the late game. Legends.

And they play Roundball Rock going to commercials. What more can you ask for.
    Totally agree. Watching Xavier and Villanova and both teams play hard, high quality defense and share the ball well. Add in the announcing and it is great viewing.

JWill was bizarrely obsessed with McCain痴 fingernails last night. Give it a rest man.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I agree with this. J-Will is nowhere near as irritating as CA, but he and O達rien spent much of the game chatting about things other than the basketball game on the court below them. I suppose it痴 that ESPN is in the entertainment business. I prefer the announcers call and comment on the game. Not much of that last night from O達rien and J-Will. O達rien is a major offender, too, when paired with, serving as straight man to, CA.

I am sure that J-Will can be an expert comentator. Not last night, though.
    I turn down my sound until I can still hear some crowd noise but the announcers
    are illegible. It greatly improves my viewing experience.

the mute button has been my remote's MVP for about 30 years now...i'll turn up the sound briefly if something good happens, but I'm a happier person not listening to the blather.

Arizona with a total blowout of Colorado, but the announcing team of Bill Walton, Dave Pasch, and Frank Caliendo were (IMO) hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    the mute button has been my remote's MVP for about 30 years now...i'll turn up the sound briefly if something good happens, but I'm a happier person not listening to the blather.
    I literally don't understand why folx here complain about the announcers. It is so very rare that an announcer adds anything valuable to the conversation. I either don't listen to them or have them on mute.

On the rare occasion that I need something explained (weird call, potential injury update) I can turn it up. Mostly nothing is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I literally don't understand why folx here complain about the announcers. It is so very rare that an announcer adds anything valuable to the conversation. I either don't listen to them or have them on mute.

On the rare occasion that I need something explained (weird call, potential injury update) I can turn it up. Mostly nothing is lost.
    As analysts go there aren't many that I really enjoy listening to. I think Jay Will can be insightful at times. Same with Alexander. Dan Bonner and Jay Bilas are the gold standard for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    As analysts go there aren't many that I really enjoy listening to. I think Jay Will can be insightful at times. Same with Alexander. Dan Bonner and Jay Bilas are the gold standard for me.
    I like Bilas. I like Doris Burke. I really liked Bobby Knight.

If the analysts are telling me things about basketball I don't know, I'm interested. That why I never liked Vitale. His enthusiasm is great, but the next time he gives me insight into basketball will be the first time.

I like Bilas. I like Doris Burke. I really liked Bobby Knight.

If the analysts are telling me things about basketball I don't know, I'm interested. That why I never liked Vitale. His enthusiasm is great, but the next time he gives me insight into basketball will be the first time.
    I like Dickie V in that I think he was good for college basketball during the'80s and 90s when it flourished. I think most young analysts go more his Direction because it's easier to be excited than to provide actual analysis. But I agree with your list.

Red face

yep...I also DVR all the games to zip thru the ads and blather, and time it to end when the game ends. It's a skill.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I like Dickie V in that I think he was good for college basketball during the'80s and 90s when it flourished. I think most young analysts go more his Direction because it's easier to be excited than to provide actual analysis. But I agree with your list.
    I know only a Sith deals in absolutes, but anyone who doesn't like Doris Burke's call can't be my friend.