Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Press Conference today

Duke has announced a press conference today at 2 P.M. for an announcement concerning the future of the Duke football program.

I'll try to attend.

I suspect we all know what this means.

On 620 the Bull, Morgan Patrick just announced that Roof has officially been fired. His source was Frank Dascenzo of the Herald Sun.

Apparently, there's another ACC press conference scheduled at 2PM, regarding GaTech football coach Chan Gailey.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

So...can we start talking about replacements now? Or do we need to wait until after the presser?

Good Luck Ted...

I know lots of folks are happy to see him gone. The results on the field are awfully telling and hard to deny.

Still, Ted was a good guy by all accounts and represented Duke well (save game day). I appreciate his hard work and dedication and wish him well. Sorry it didnt work out and that the ball rarely bounced your way.

Thanks for your faithful service and Best of Luck

A couple of more conversation topics...

...are transfers and the impact on recruiting. In the article linked on the front page, Vince O states that letting Coach Roof go would be a disservice to all the players. If his sentiments are genuine, and I have no reason to believe they are not, how many other players feel the same way, which raises the question of transfers. Additionally, how does the coaching change affect our current recruiting efforts.
    Bob Green

Players/Recruiting Under New Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    ...are transfers and the impact on recruiting. In the article linked on the front page, Vince O states that letting Coach Roof go would be a disservice to all the players. If his sentiments are genuine, and I have no reason to believe they are not, how many other players feel the same way, which raises the question of transfers. Additionally, how does the coaching change affect our current recruiting efforts.
    My guess is that Roof is liked and respected by the players. I think that was one reason why he was made the head coach. IMHO it was not a good reason then (though I thought otherwise at the time) nor is it a good reason to keep him.

Recruiting will depend on the timing and the selection of the new coach. If we take forever then we may have a very bad recruiting year. If we move quickly with a guy who can recruit then we may do fine.

SoCal

Badly. Of course thats a guess. I hope Alleva has had "THE GUY" stashed in the wings and sworn to silence. The next few days will be telling. I think Duke has to at this point; open the checkbook and go get a football "name" that would command respect and get the players attention and keep the attention of current recruits.

If YOU were a player on the team would you listen to a guy Like say Cower, Spurrier, J. Johnson, Chow, if they were brought in over some no name assistant with no HC experience. Of course you would. I would at least.. I think damage control on this point is largely tied to who they bring in next.

The men on the team, prolly have hopes of playing on Sunday (everyone can Hope) but the longer it lingers the more likely it is that they will take matters into their own hands and transfer.

They have to get it right the 1st time.

That's always the question with a coaching change. Some left when Franks was fired. When Coach G left that was the question.

i don't expect we will lose very many...depending on how long it takes Joe to hire and how many coaches turn him down publicly

Alleva said at the Presser that we need to recruit better. We need to recruit better ACC talent. Hell I thought that Roof was doing a much better job recruiting then his predessor had. Considering where we are and how tough our school is that's a very hard thing to do. One thing to show more committment to our football program is to hire more academic advisors to help our players. I'm not saying we need to lower standards but we do need to offer them more help so they can still perform just as well on the field as they need to do in the classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Badly. Of course thats a guess. I hope Alleva has had "THE GUY" stashed in the wings and sworn to silence. The next few days will be telling. I think Duke has to at this point; open the checkbook and go get a football "name" that would command respect and get the players attention and keep the attention of current recruits.

If YOU were a player on the team would you listen to a guy Like say Cower, Spurrier, J. Johnson, Chow, if they were brought in over some no name assistant with no HC experience. Of course you would. I would at least.. I think damage control on this point is largely tied to who they bring in next.

The men on the team, prolly have hopes of playing on Sunday (everyone can Hope) but the longer it lingers the more likely it is that they will take matters into their own hands and transfer.

They have to get it right the 1st time.
    Cower, Spurrier, J. Johnson, Chow are pipe dreams. Realism needs to rule at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Cower, Spurrier, J. Johnson, Chow are pipe dreams. Realism needs to rule at some point
    i have to agree.

MAR-TY! MAR-TY!

of course they are..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Of course they probably are... but I hope contact has been made on some level to folks cut from this cloth already, but my larger point still stands tho perhaps somewhat convoluted.

Duke needs to buy instant football credibility in its next choice of HC. We cant keep waiting for the heavens to open and have the next up and commer to all into our laps by divine intervention. Thats no different that where we have been. We need to make a stance to break the cycle and show we are serious as an institution about this upgrade. Not a half hearted effort.

If we were to by some miracle find that hidden gem of a coach on the rise to make a consistent winner out of Duke Football, would Duke pony up and keep them?

If the answer is No, they why are we talking about this anymore? It becomes so what... why bother..
    If the answer is Yes.. then skip the time lag and go straight to it.

Pony up, buy the Coach with credibility and get the guy you want /need the 1st time.

Best Line

I love when someone asked Joe "You keep saying a proven coach and a proven leader, what makes you think anyone like that would come here?" Joe says "BECAUSE THIS IS DUKE UNIVERSITY, ENOUGH SAID". I love it!

The TDD FB thread is pretty detailed on the presser:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167#s...1093&t=1511599

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Key points from my point of view

Alleva made it clear that w/l record was the deciding factor. "Just didn't see enough improvement on the field to warrant his return.

JA said the decision was made Sunday and communicated to TR this morning. Admits that he had been leaning in that direction since the ND game.

Search committee, lead by JA. Would not mention names but two former players, two faculty, one or two administrators.

Wants a winning D-1 head coach. A proven leader. Will go to 1-AA but seems to prefer D-1. No firm timeline but hopes to have it done by Christmas. Prefers offensive-minded coach. Doesn't see Duke winning games 10-7 but does see Duke winning games 40-39. No age limit. Expects new coach to help with promotions and selling tickets.

Highest priority is improving recruiting. Duke isn't keeping up with ACC in that area. Roof has improved Duke's position in that area but not enough. Coach is the key. New coach "has to attract ACC-caliber student-athletes."

No compromises on academic integrity. Seems to think academic requirements are where they need to be. Promises improved WW, maybe new building, scoreboard on other side of field, removing track being considered. Renovation will take place in stages over four or five years.

Duke stands for excellence and has a tremendous committtment to the football program. Duke expects to compete for championships. Duke football "doesn't live up to Duke standards and we have to change that."

Duke has the resources and the contacts to find the best candidate and attract them to Duke. No need for a headhunter. JA seems to place a premium on Duke's name as far as attracting top candidates is concerned.

JA and the staff will continue to contact recruits prior to the hiring of a new coach.

Roof talked to media two hours later in diffferent building. Roof confirmed that he was told this morning and broke the news to his team.

Roof took the high road. Spoke highly of Duke and the team he was leaving behind. Duke and he agree on core values, education, citizenship, and winning. Says that Duke won national championships in the first two areas.

When asked if he would do it over knowing what he knows now, he responded "maybe not." Implied that he was promised more time and indicated that he wished he could coach Duke next season.

Expects to stay in coaching. "That's what I do."

Duke is "in better shape than when I came in. We just didn't win enough games."

Handled a difficult situation well.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Key points from my point of view

JA said the decision was made Sunday and communicated to TR this morning. Admits that he had been leaning in that direction since the ND game.
    Jim,
    I'm curious about this little tid bit given that it was reported elsewhere and last week that TR would be fired. What are your thoughts on what was reported last week and stated at today's presser?

Thanks,
    Tilly

JA emphatically stated that media reports from last week that indicated the decision had been made were incorrect.

I suppose there's a gap between making a tentative decision and finalizing a tentative decision.

FWIW, Roof stated that he thinks a win Saturday would have made a difference so he seems to think that the decision was still up in the air last Saturday.

Damn classy guy!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ...When asked if he would do it over knowing what he knows now, he responded "maybe not." Implied that he was promised more time and indicated that he wished he could coach Duke next season.

Expects to stay in coaching. "That's what I do."

Duke is "in better shape than when I came in. We just didn't win enough games."

Handled a difficult situation well.
    I was/am a big Ted Roof supporter and was all for giving him one more year until... the decision to play for the field goal in the UNC game. That was just plain stupid. More stupid than the decision, at the last UNC game in Kenan, to put in an ice cold Mike Schnieder (sp?) because "he can run the two-minute offense better than Zack."

Say what? With all due respect to Mike, he was always terrible and Zack deserved the opportunity to win, or lose, that game. He was the one who had gotten us into position to win.

Then while watching this year's cluster#$@* unfold, my wife says "it's going to come down to a field goal" to which I replied: No f'ing way! Our kickers can't make it from the extra point stripe! Then, well, the rest is history.

I believe it was Jim that said in the "Duke v. UNC" thread that we should have "been playing like we were down four points. Touchdown or nothing."

Ted, I know you won't read this but, damn man, what the #$^% were you thinking!?!