Carlos-Place in Duke History/Regard

I am posting this as more of a question than anything else. Do you think Carlos has his proper place in Duke history? He obviously was an NCAA Champion, and he's presently laying NBA foes to waste (hit the Pistons with 36 and 11 today). I may be off on this, but I don't think he's as beloved among Duke fans as he should be. There may be good reason for that, he seemed at times to be a bit aloof and to himself during his time with the Devils. I'm just curious-a guy with his profile and as accomplished as he is should be held in pretty high regard. The only thing I'm thinking may hurt him is the departure from Cleveland. Is he still a member of the family-does he participate in K Academy, for example?

dukemsu

Imo

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    I am posting this as more of a question than anything else. Do you think Carlos has his proper place in Duke history? He obviously was an NCAA Champion, and he's presently laying NBA foes to waste (hit the Pistons with 36 and 11 today). I may be off on this, but I don't think he's as beloved among Duke fans as he should be. There may be good reason for that, he seemed at times to be a bit aloof and to himself during his time with the Devils. I'm just curious-a guy with his profile and as accomplished as he is should be held in pretty high regard. The only thing I'm thinking may hurt him is the departure from Cleveland. Is he still a member of the family-does he participate in K Academy, for example?

dukemsu
    IMO: Boozer is the most under appreciated player by Duke fans in the last ten years for several reasons. While he did win a ring in 2001, the ACC tournament win and the drive to the NCAA title game were done without him. Even in the championship game it was mostly Dunleavy, Williams and Battier who led the way. However it definitely wasn't just Duke fans who never thought he'd be the player he's become as he slipped into the second round in the draft. If the same draft were held today he would definitely be the first Duke player taken and perhaps the top player taken over all. In regard to professional sports draft misses, he has to rank up there with Jerry Rice being taken much later than he should have.

His Reputation definitely took hits when he left Cleveland (which we later found out was due to his agent) and the Jazz thought they had signed another injury prone guy from Duke like Grant Hill. But the way he's played the last couple of seasons with Deron Williams has reminded me a lot of the pick and rolls he used to run with another Williams. Danny Ferry managed to ride the Spurs bench and end the Duke NBA title jinx several years back. (If you believe in that type of thing.) Many of us had high hopes Grant Hill would break the Hall of Fame Duke jinx, but his injuries have taken away 3-4 years of his prime. With all respect to Brand and Maggette at this time he's probably got the best shot at becoming a hall of famer of any Duke player. (Deng is still young and improving however.)

I'll put it this way, this is DBR and not to rag anyone but the focus here and by most of the posters is MENS Duke basketball and not what they do after they are gone. (Quite a few would give Boozer more demerits for leaving a year early.) Duke football gets posted to complain and speculate on coaching changes. Womens basketball is held in high regard but certainly doesn't garner the interest the men do. Baseball is rarely if ever brought up, same for tennis and golf and as for Lacrosse...well you know. A lot of basketball purists don't like the NBA game, but I suspect some of it's due to having our noses rubbed in it by UNC alums year after year. I've met Carlos in person and he was very friendly and pleasant. I just know I wouldn't want to have to guard him in the post unless my medical insurance was paid up.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    IMO: Boozer is the most under appreciated player by Duke fans in the last ten years for several reasons. While he did win a ring in 2001, the ACC tournament win and the drive to the NCAA title game were done without him. Even in the championship game it was mostly Dunleavy, Williams and Battier who led the way.
    To be fair, it's been a while since 2001, but that championship game has recently been put up on youtube, and I encourage you to watch it. What you'll see is that Boozer was essential to our win against AZ, and JW was nothing short of horrendous. You'll also notice an AZ team with Gilbert Arenas (who was playing hurt), Jason Gardner, Luke Walton and Richard Jefferson, with Loren Woods having the game of his career.

JW was 2-11 from 3 and 5-15 overall, with 4 assists and 6 TOs, and was out for a lot of the game in foul trouble. In fact, he could have easily picked up his 5th foul 2 or 3 times with a lot of time left in the game. Duhon played PG for much of the game and bailed us out. OTOH, Boozer anchored us down low while Loren Woods ate Battier up inside. Carlos was 5-9 with 12 rebs, 2 blocks and only 2 TOs.

Having said that, I always thought Carlos was the man and agree he didn't necessarily get his due while in Durham.
    Last edited by -jk; 11-26-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: fix ital tag

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    IMO: Boozer is the most under appreciated player by Duke fans in the last ten years for several reasons. While he did win a ring in 2001, the ACC tournament win and the drive to the NCAA title game were done without him. Even in the championship game it was mostly Dunleavy, Williams and Battier who led the way. However it definitely wasn't just Duke fans who never thought he'd be the player he's become as he slipped into the second round in the draft. If the same draft were held today he would definitely be the first Duke player taken and perhaps the top player taken over all. In regard to professional sports draft misses, he has to rank up there with Jerry Rice being taken much later than he should have.

His Reputation definitely took hits when he left Cleveland (which we later found out was due to his agent) and the Jazz thought they had signed another injury prone guy from Duke like Grant Hill. But the way he's played the last couple of seasons with Deron Williams has reminded me a lot of the pick and rolls he used to run with another Williams. Danny Ferry managed to ride the Spurs bench and end the Duke NBA title jinx several years back. (If you believe in that type of thing.) Many of us had high hopes Grant Hill would break the Hall of Fame Duke jinx, but his injuries have taken away 3-4 years of his prime. With all respect to Brand and Maggette at this time he's probably got the best shot at becoming a hall of famer of any Duke player. (Deng is still young and improving however.)

I'll put it this way, this is DBR and not to rag anyone but the focus here and by most of the posters is MENS Duke basketball and not what they do after they are gone. (Quite a few would give Boozer more demerits for leaving a year early.) Duke football gets posted to complain and speculate on coaching changes. Womens basketball is held in high regard but certainly doesn't garner the interest the men do. Baseball is rarely if ever brought up, same for tennis and golf and as for Lacrosse...well you know. A lot of basketball purists don't like the NBA game, but I suspect some of it's due to having our noses rubbed in it by UNC alums year after year. I've met Carlos in person and he was very friendly and pleasant. I just know I wouldn't want to have to guard him in the post unless my medical insurance was paid up.
    I've been away from the boards for a while, so forgive me if this is old news, but how exactly do we "know" this? If you want to avoid rehashing old news or hijacking a thread, you're welcome to PM me. I've defended Carlos' actions in Cleveland a number of times, but the bold comment above struck me as very decisive and indicative of something I don't know anything about. Thanks.