At the risk of being chastised for being overly critical by the DBR powers that be I have a plea for anyone close to the football program. For the love of God please go out and get someone who can kick a football! I realize this is the United States and most of us grow up shooting hoops, catching and passing a football or swinging a bat. But there is an entire world out there full of teens who have used their feet in soccer more than they have ever used their hands in athletics. Having played both football and soccer growing up I know full well there is a difference in the shape of the ball and technique in kicking both. But a good leg is a good leg and this season has almost made me laugh at the notion Duke got sued because it supposedly wouldn't let a female kick field goals. (Where is she now and is she still eligible??!!)

If schools are now looking the world over for height and athleticism in basketball why are there few if any schools looking for a powerful if not accurate leg that can kick a ball a mile? In third world countries kids are too poor to afford an actual soccer ball yet most all can kick a home made ball twice as far as most ACC punters. I can understand that the top rated kickers in high school are likely to go to Ohio State, USC, Florida etc. But there are foreign kids with good grades, that speak English who can kick a ball so hard the threads come off that would love a scholarship. Forgive me for sounding sarcastic, but with the state Duke football is in over all, the guy would get as much playing time as anyone on the team. Imagine knowing every kickoff was going through the back of the end zone. Imagine a punt so high and so long that if and when the receiver caught it he was surrounded by guys in Duke blue. Imagine feeling confident in field goal attempts under 40 yards and like your chances beyond that range.

I'll take it one step forward, Jay Heaps was used quite a bit as a basketball walk-on though he was a soccer star at Duke. Throw some pads on one of those guys and let him practice the summer getting used to kicking a football. (If his soccer eligibility is up let him go to grad school playing football!) It's not my opinion that Duke's kicking game in ALL aspects really hurt Duke this year, it's fact. I realize these are just kids in many respects and players tried their best. But there were so many times Duke was in a decent situation where the kicking game put them in a hole it's ridiculous. A good leg on a kicker is a weapon on the football field just like a great arm is for a QB. In a time where Duke football is searching for answers I suggest they look beyond the Rivals top 100 and get ahead in a deficient area.