Play-by-play (or lack of)

Enjoyed the game immensely, and was surprised how well Duke did against a big and talented Illinois team, but I was disappointed in the play-by-play. It seems that the broadcast crew is getting the "Dickie V" syndrome" of talking about fluff and extraneous matter while forgetting to cover the game. I hope this is an aberration. By the way Bilas seems to be growing a "Mohawk"

Andy from Hillsborough

Quote Originally Posted by homebre View Post
    Enjoyed the game immensely, and was surprised how well Duke did against a big and talented Illinois team, but I was disappointed in the play-by-play. It seems that the broadcast crew is getting the "Dickie V" syndrome" of talking about fluff and extraneous matter while forgetting to cover the game. I hope this is an aberration. By the way Bilas seems to be growing a "Mohawk"

Andy from Hillsborough
    I agree on the play-by-play, but I think that when the right announcing team is in, ESPN has some of the best color men in the biz. Bilas, for example, did a good job last night of cutting through the other guys' inanity to provide his usual incisive commentary (and he was oh-so fair and balanced, too). The problem arises when ESPN has some shrill, hammy play-by-play guy (*cough* Dick(brain) Vitale *cough*) and the color guy can't get a word in edgewise.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Bilas

I thought Bilas tried to get the other two commentators back into game on multiple occasions, no small task for Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I agree on the play-by-play, but I think that when the right announcing team is in, ESPN has some of the best color men in the biz. Bilas, for example, did a good job last night of cutting through the other guys' inanity to provide his usual incisive commentary (and he was oh-so fair and balanced, too). The problem arises when ESPN has some shrill, hammy play-by-play guy (*cough* Dick(brain) Vitale *cough*) and the color guy can't get a word in edgewise.
    Dick Vitale is the color guy. Whoever's with him usually does the play-by-play (last night it was Schulman)
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I enjoy the banter and chemistry among the three. I can follow the ball on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I enjoy the banter and chemistry among the three. I can follow the ball on my own.
    When they show the action you can, but last night they missed several seconds showing a taped interview of Weber telling some inane story.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Agreed. Also consider that it's in Hawaii and these guys are wearing goofy tropical shirts. I'm surprised they managed to even pay attention to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    When they show the action you can, but last night they missed several seconds showing a taped interview of Weber telling some inane story.
    Yeah, that was maddening. They're starting to produce these games like they think it's the Olympics. Who do they think is watching at 11pm EST? Someone should tell them it's only the folks who are interested in BB, not Bruce Weber's dog...

But, that being said, I don't mind the announcer's talking about a few extraneous things; as long as they keep showing the game...

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    Yeah, that was maddening. They're starting to produce these games like they think it's the Olympics. Who do they think is watching at 11pm EST? Someone should tell them it's only the folks who are interested in BB, not Bruce Weber's dog...

But, that being said, I don't mind the announcer's talking about a few extraneous things; as long as they keep showing the game...
    The producers just wanted to get to Hawaii a few days early to, uh, work. Yeah, that's it.

-jk

Agreed.

The Weber segment was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    You leave the picture of Bruce Weber's daughter out of this!

Bruce Weber

That Bruce Weber Segment reminded me so something they would do on the "Battle of the All-Stars" show back in the 80's