View Poll Results: Who was the Man of the Match in the Duke-Illinois game?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gerald Henderson

101 61.96%
  • Taylor King

0 0%
  • DeMarcus Nelson

41 25.15%
  • Greg Paulus

9 5.52%
  • Jon Scheyer

8 4.91%
  • Kyle Singler

0 0%
  • Nolan Smith

0 0%
  • Lance Thomas

0 0%
  • Brian Zoubek

4 2.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Man of the Match: Duke vs. Illinois

Who was the Man of the Match in the Duke-Illinois game?

Nelson

I voted for DeMarcus Nelson as he had some key baskets early in the game that made a difference. IMO, DeMarcus set the tone for the game. Obviously, Gerald had a monster game as well and I expect he will run away with the MOTM vote.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I voted for DeMarcus Nelson as he had some key baskets early in the game that made a difference. IMO, DeMarcus set the tone for the game. Obviously, Gerald had a monster game as well and I expect he will run away with the MOTM vote.
    I'm with you on Nelson. Henderson had the flashier highlights but I feel like DeMarcus did more to win the game.

I had to go with Nelson too. Henderson had some nice shots, also had a few forced ones. Nelson was a man tonight, playing hard, and making some big baskets at some big times.

Zoubek!

I voted for Zoubek... he played one of his best games in a Duke uniform tonight... his stat line doesn't show a lot of points or rebounds, but he played great defense and contested shots. Big Z was great!

This was a tough one. I agree that DeMarcus really kept us in it in the first half, especially when Illinois made their run at the end.

But Gerald just had a superb all-around game, and as Jim3K noted in another thread, we probably don't give him enough credit for his defense. It was great tonight.

It was a close one, but I'm going with Gerald. Markie will get plenty of these this year, though.

I voted for Henderson, but Nelson was a very close second. And props to Zoubek, clearly his best game. Lets hope he keeps improving. Scheyer doesn't look so hot in the stat line (except for minutes played), but he made some important contributions that don't show up.

Gerald...

looked absolutely awesome. Nelson was impressive, but Henderson's game was solid in every way.

half vote for Nelson, half for Henderson.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    half vote for Nelson, half for Henderson.
    Does DBR approve of half-Nelson's ?

I voted for the senior. I agree with Bob Green that DeMarcus set the tone early and then had one of his best all around games. Gerald was fantastic.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Agreed on both Nelson and Henderson. I voted for Gerald, mostly because he was really fun to watch last night. But y'all are right, DeMarcus did more than anyone to set and maintain the tone, especially after Illinois came out like gangbusters early.
    As for Zoubek, if he could be a Dikembe Mutombo-type player, it could go a long way toward rounding out this team and making us a real threat. That is to say, don't necessarily be a stat sheet filler: 8 or so points and 8-10 rebounds a game, but just stay in there, compete (but don't foul), and mostly just be a big nuisance to the enemy.

I voted for Gerald but in every game I'm pulling for D to be that player. He deserves it! I wonder what MJ thought of Gerald's performance? Indirectly, we beat the holes last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Yes. Duke looked a bit lost early on and DeMarcus led them out of the funk. Henderson had a great, great game, but without Nelson's leadership, we may not have won the game.

-EarlJam

Motm

Quote Originally Posted by dukediv2013 View Post
    I voted for Zoubek... he played one of his best games in a Duke uniform tonight... his stat line doesn't show a lot of points or rebounds, but he played great defense and contested shots. Big Z was great!
    I did not know you were related to Big Z, dukediv . Seriously, I agree that BZ had a nice game with no TO, a few altered shots/points/boards and not fouling out. Good progress. Can't wait to see him continue to develop over the season and he gains confidence and conditioning.

Motm

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I voted for Henderson, but Nelson was a very close second. And props to Zoubek, clearly his best game. Lets hope he keeps improving. Scheyer doesn't look so hot in the stat line (except for minutes played), but he made some important contributions that don't show up.
    Led the team in boards last PM according to the N&O this AM, in addition to minutes played. Pretty good for the 6th man. Good plan by Jumbo, err, K, and the others who thought Jon would be excellent off the bench. He was interviewed after one of the early games/exhibitions and he said it was an adjustment but he was very happy with his role.

Henderson

He hit the shots when we needed them. And not just the highlight-reel breakaway dunks/layups. The kid was nailing beautiful 15-ft jumpers to stop Illinois spurts.

I voted for Henderson and although I appreciate the effort of all our players tonight, for me it wasn't even close. More importantly, I really like watching this Duke team and if "team defense" was available I'd vote for that over GH.

I also voted for Markie even though G will win this poll; Markie is closing very well at the hoop, and he's turning the corner on his drives and going to the hole very aggressively.

So this vote for him is a more of a vote of confidence in the improvement that I see in his game. It's a great testament to working through adversity and persisting; we should all be proud to have DeMarcus Nelson as our team captain this year!

All hail Markie!!

dth.

I voted for Nelson because he seemed to be the only productive player in the early goings. He also had a great FG% and PPS and was among the team leaders in rebounds. I could also accept Henderson as a choice, given he led the team in scoring and had a big second half. Scheyer and Paulus both had solid, understated games, but it would have to be one of those first two for me.