Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Charting Duke vs. Illinois

OK, this one was slightly more meaningful in terms of keeping track of +/-, since the main guys played more. Still, K substituted quite often, switching lineups 27 times. He used four lineups more than once: starters (four times); Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas (five times); Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Zoubek (twice); Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Zoubek (twice).

One interesting factoid before we hit the numbers. Duke scored 47 points when Henderson was in the game, and he scored 23 of them. I'm honestly not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Anyway, on to it...

Individuals
    Kyle Singler 53-38 (+15)
    Jon Scheyer 63-50 (+13)
    Brian Zoubek 41-31 (+10)
    Lance Thomas 46-37 (+9)
    Nolan Smith 23-15 (+8)
    Greg Paulus 58-53 (+5)
    DeMarcus Nelson 60-56 (+4)
    Gerald Henderson 47-44 (+3)
    Taylor King 4-6 (-2)

Lineups
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas 21-11 (+10)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Thomas-Zoubek 9-3 (+6)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Zoubek 7-4 (+3)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Zoubek 5-2 (+3)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 3-1 (+2)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Zoubek 6-4 (+2)
    Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 5-3 (+2)
    Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson 1-0 (+1)
    Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Zoubek 4-4 (0)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Thomas-Zoubek 0-1 (-1)
    Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Thomas 1-2 (-1)
    Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas 0-2 (-2)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler 0-2 (-2)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Zoubek 0-2 (-2)
    Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 11-13 (-2)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas 2-5 (-3)
    Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Zoubek 2-7 (-5)

interesting

These stats are really interesting. Right away it jumps out that Singler had the best +/- when on the surface he appeared to have a (relatively) quiet game. From watching the game I would have thought that Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Zoubek would have been one of the more successful lineups, yet clearly that's not the case. More than meets the eye I guess. First reaction is that it makes me more encouraged about Singler more than anything else.

Singler had a good overall game. I have been charting defensive stats for players, and every game Singler is involved in a lot of players, forcing a lot of bad shots, etc. He had a few too many bad fouls tonight and didn't rebound as well as he had been, but otherwise had a good game.

+/-

Thanks Jumbo for compiling these data. I find it difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions. Maybe it's the large number of line-ups. Maybe it's the fact that the data run counter to the impressions I formed watching the game. I.e., both Markie and Gerald had great games, especially on the offensive end. They were the only guys who could generate their own shots. Yet they seem to be close to a wash according to the +/-.

These data will probably become more useful mid-season, when we can compile them over many games (to state the obvious). Anyway, it's great to have this additional filter through which to post-process the game...

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    Thanks Jumbo for compiling these data. I find it difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions. Maybe it's the large number of line-ups. Maybe it's the fact that the data run counter to the impressions I formed watching the game. I.e., both Markie and Gerald had great games, especially on the offensive end. They were the only guys who could generate their own shots. Yet they seem to be close to a wash according to the +/-.

These data will probably become more useful mid-season, when we can compile them over many games (to state the obvious). Anyway, it's great to have this additional filter through which to post-process the game...
    Agreed. There are just so many variables that occur over such a short period of time (especially with lots of substitions) in a single game that can skew these numbers. It's very possible that these numbers are meaningful from a single game, but it's not likely.

The numbers will get a lot more meaningful, though, as they are summed over a sample of 20+ games. That won't account for all the variables in play, but it will help a lot. I do like the +/- approach to analysis, but I think it's going to take a lot more minutes to glean anything worthwhile out of it.

That said, a single game's +/- CAN be useful for generating hypotheses to test. Jumbo has already done so with regard to Henderson. It will be interesting to see if a trend develops in which Henderson has seemingly good performances on both ends of the floor but has relatively low +/-. I suspect it won't hold (either he'll play worse, or his +/- will go up).

In other words, I don't believe he was the cause of his relatively low +/- last night. He could very well be the future cause of a mediocre/bad +/- (if he stops scoring as well as he did last night), but I think last night's numbers are indicative of some other factors that have not been controlled for.

Interesting that Smith was +8 and Paulus only +5.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Interesting that Smith was +8 and Paulus only +5.
    Smith didn't play for long and did seem lost with some of his passes. He also hit a three. Maybe his turnovers didn't result in points because the rest of the team picked up the defense. I just think there are so many variables that charting has limited value in describing what really happened on the floor.

Right. The reason I think it's interesting is that a) it didn't seem like Smith played for long, but the 23-15 represents a significant portion of the game (a quarter or so), and b) it didn't seem like he played that well, but we actually did pretty well when he was on the court.

Obviously the plus/minus is limited, but it still shows how the team did when a certain player was on the court.

Another "issue" with the limited sample size is that Paulus, Henderson and Nelson were all on the floor at the beginning of the game when Illinois jumped out to a six point ead and at the end of the game when they cut the lead from 19 to 13. Thus, those guys were dealt a -12 out of the gate. Take away those two periods of the games, and those guys are at the top of the leaderboard in +/-.

Obviously, you can't do that. But it does show how the effect of such a limited sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    Another "issue" with the limited sample size is that Paulus, Henderson and Nelson were all on the floor at the beginning of the game when Illinois jumped out to a six point ead and at the end of the game when they cut the lead from 19 to 13. Thus, those guys were dealt a -12 out of the gate. Take away those two periods of the games, and those guys are at the top of the leaderboard in +/-.

Obviously, you can't do that. But it does show how the effect of such a limited sample size.
    Correct. Similarly, the spurt of offense by Illinois near the end of the half can skew the data as well. Sometimes the opponent just catches a few breaks, and sometimes the opponent happens to hit a few shots that they weren't hitting at other times. Good defense doesn't always result in good outcomes, and bad defense doesn't always result in bad outcomes. Because of this, it's hard to tell whether the +/- indicate a causal effect of a player or a coincidental result when the sample size is just one game.

These issues do tend to wash out (somewhat) with a larger sample size, so I hope the +/- is summed over the course of the season. It will be very interesting to see those numbers. If used correctly, they can be a very valuable tool for evaluating an individual player or particular lineup with respect to their value to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Correct. Similarly, the spurt of offense by Illinois near the end of the half can skew the data as well. Sometimes the opponent just catches a few breaks, and sometimes the opponent happens to hit a few shots that they weren't hitting at other times. Good defense doesn't always result in good outcomes, and bad defense doesn't always result in bad outcomes. Because of this, it's hard to tell whether the +/- indicate a causal effect of a player or a coincidental result when the sample size is just one game.

These issues do tend to wash out (somewhat) with a larger sample size, so I hope the +/- is summed over the course of the season. It will be very interesting to see those numbers. If used correctly, they can be a very valuable tool for evaluating an individual player or particular lineup with respect to their value to the team.
    Obviously, sample size is a key issue. I'm not saying otherwise. But the "spurt" argument is silly -- should Duke's players not get credit for a positive spurt?

Zone

Hey Jumbo, does any of your data indicate how much we played zone last night? I watched the game . . . didn't tape it or chart it . . . so I only have impressions. And my impression is that, in the first half, we went zone for a few minutes (2 to 3). It was successful for 4 to 6 possessions, then they hit a 3, and we got out of it for the rest of the half. Is my impression correct? Any empirical data available?

Second half . . . used it sparingly to protect players and for a change of pace. Again, just an impression.

Points of inflection

A more useful measurement may be to chart differentials before and after a player enters the lineup to see what points of inflection show up in the data. Call it the player's "spark" potential.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    A more useful measurement may be to chart differentials before and after a player enters the lineup to see what points of inflection show up in the data. Call it the player's "spark" potential.

I have the full chart which shows the score every time a lineup change was made. Should I post the full game log?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I have the full chart which shows the score every time a lineup change was made. Should I post the full game log?
    Alternatively, anyone interested in the full game log can just look at the box score on GoDuke. It provides the full play-by-play, including who subbed in for whom and when. It gives a box score for each half of play at the bottom.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Interesting that lineups giving away -3 and -5 were our smallest lineups last night. This may have to do with Illinois getting offensive putbacks, therefore the numbers could be indicative of the opponent we faced. Illinois was already a very strong offensive rebounding team. Will be interesting to see what the next sample give us.

In regards to the comment about Henderson being most of the points when he was in, I did get the feeling that every time Gerald got the ball it was going up. Good thing for us last night was that it also went in. But if this indicative of his play it could be a possible issue in the future because defenses will start keying on him and he is still not the strongest ball handler. He does need to be more comfortable with dishing out when his drive is cut off or if he doesn't have a decent look.

Obviously, sample size is a key issue. I'm not saying otherwise. But the "spurt" argument is silly -- should Duke's players not get credit for a positive spurt?
    You misinterpreted me. Obviously players should get credit for spurts (both Duke and opponent). My point is that spurts can be random events. Therefore, within a single game, +/- may reflect random spurts. These spurts are likely to trend toward the mean over time, which is why sample size matters.

My point was simply to say that making conclusions based on +/- from a particular game can be lead to some faulty conclusions, due to the fact that within game variability is so great. I wasn't trying to discredit the fact that the spurt happened - it happened. My point was that it may not have been influenced by anything other than random chance, whereas over time that random chance should be distributed more evenly across lineups.

Don't get me wrong: I'm a big proponent of +/-, provided it's used correctly. I just think it's much more useful over the course of a season than from a single game because in-game variability can skew results in a manner over which a player may have little/no control.

Now here we go--what we need is a sabremetric for quantifying spurtability.

Bobby Hurley had a hi SPRT, I know that.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 11-21-2007 at 09:55 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

charting

Agree that this another nice addition to our post-game analysis. Takes a lot of effort and time to keep up with all these numbers and then share with us. Don't know whether Jumbo mentioned previously, but this kind of format is utilized in the NHL and helps managers, coaches and the fans keep track of who does well/poorly both individually and as part of the team. I know when the Raleigh Hurricanes play(I refuse to call them the carolina Hurricanes as I refuse to refer to the NFL team in Charlotte as carolina Panthers), and the N&O posts their +/-, it helps me understand the game a bit better.

Hi,

You guys seem to find more conclusions (even over longer periods) from this info. than I. Does this data cross-measure the opposing team's line-up? For example... if the opposition's best bigs are not in the game the majority of the time that Zoubek is going +10 in this measure, then what is the measure actually revealing? Wouldn't Weber have awakened to Gerald's great game and put his best defender on him? And wouldn't Weber have also rested his best defender when Gerald came out? IMO, that would completely skew this data to the point of little true value. No offense Jumbo, just my view.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey