Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanksgiving feasts

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/he...ml?ref=science

Indigestion, flatulence, heart attack, gallbladder pain and dangerous drowsiness on the drive home..

Have a nice Thanksgiving!
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

Indigestion, flatulence, heart attack, gallbladder pain and dangerous drowsiness on the drive home..

Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Sounds like a Thanksgiving Day card.

Great article! Will definitely be watching what goes on my plate on Turkey Day.

Man, that's a downer. (Probably smart to be aware of those things, but geez...)

Here, I was hoping this thread was going to be a standard OT exploration of each of our Thanksgiving feast traditions, like best way to cook a turkey; or giblets vs. no giblets in the stuffing; or whether pumpkin pie was more of a tradition than pecan pie. I mean, this is a rich off-topic conversation starter here.

I get to eat candied yams once a year and I relish the opportunity. I cannot wait!!!!

(also looking forward to some sweet cornbread muffins . . . mmmmm)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Man, that's a downer. (Probably smart to be aware of those things, but geez...)

Here, I was hoping this thread was going to be a standard OT exploration of each of our Thanksgiving feast traditions, like best way to cook a turkey; or giblets vs. no giblets in the stuffing; or whether pumpkin pie was more of a tradition than pecan pie. I mean, this is a rich off-topic conversation starter here.
    I didn't really expect anyone to actually take heed of this article. Certainly not me. Turkey, dressing, cranberry chutney...
    ~rthomas

This seems like as good a time as any to share our standard Thanksgiving menus. Mine is the sort of family who enjoys things exactly the same every year. We always eat:

-turkey
    -dressing (not "stuffing")
    -homemade giblet gravy
    -homemade rolls
    -sweet potato souffle (with marshmallows on top)
    -cranberry sauce
    -creamed onions
    -rice
    -sweet peas
    -macaroni and cheese casserole
    -pumpkin, mincemeat, and pecan pies

And now I officially can't wait.

When I was a kid, I hated pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce with turkey.

Now, I love it.

Anyone else make similar taste transitions?

-EarlJam

Thanksgiving bores me. I'm getting out of the country. Suckers.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

Now, I love it.

-EarlJam
    Cranberry sauce is definitely an acquired taste. I have undergone a similar evolution over the years. As for the pumpkin pie, I have always loved it. Consider yourself a reformed Communist.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Thanksgiving bores me. I'm getting out of the country. Suckers.
    And you, my friend, are definitely a Communist. You don't deserve to be in 'Merca on Thanksgiving. Every time you express such sentiments, the terrorists win.

y'all taliking about real cranberry sauce or that congealed thing in a can? after i thought it'd be nice to make real cranbery sauce one thanksgiving i can't go back to the canned stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This seems like as good a time as any to share our standard Thanksgiving menus. Mine is the sort of family who enjoys things exactly the same every year.
    Amen to tradition. My menu:

Turkey & Country Ham
    Cornbread Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes
    Corn Casserole
    Green Bean Casserole
    Macaroni & Cheese
    Rolls/Biscuits
    Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, Pecan Pie

In recent years my family has this tradition of going to the K&W cafeteria for Thanksgiving lunch. It is, from what I figure, a matter of convienience to prevent mom from cooking all morning (plus she is not the best cook), cuts down on the clean up detail after all the cooking and eating too.

I am still going to cook a turkey and a few side items like stuffing & gravy, a few rolls and not sure about dessert.
    But all for me and maybe a friend or two. Ya'll are welcome to come on over too!

Mmmmm...gettin hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This seems like as good a time as any to share our standard Thanksgiving menus. Mine is the sort of family who enjoys things exactly the same every year.
    Us too. We always eat:

-turkey
    -Stuffing (not "dressing")
    -homemade giblet gravy
    -rolls (homemade, if I do it)
    -sweet potato souffle (with pecan streusel on top)
    -baked potatoes (we like starch!)
    -cranberry sauce, the congealed stuff
    -cranberry sauce, the homemade stuff for which I still haven't acquired a taste
    - raspberry jello with jellied cranberry and crushed pineapple
    -steamed green beans/broccoli if everyone's on a "diet," green bean casserole if we aren't
    - a healthy salad my sister-in-law invents
    - Desserts change every year. Sliced pumpkin pie is a favorite, as are the first batches of Christmas cookies.

Is it Thanksgiving yet??

Our family's traditional menu meshes pretty well with Devil84's, though we do a 5-cup ambrosia salad instead of jello and mashed instead of baked potatos.

It's also a requirement to have a relish tray of mounds and mounds of black olives (and a few green ones for us weird folks), plus little sweet pickles and dill pickles. Carrots and celery optional. I don't know what it is about Thanksgiving for my fam, but I've never seen another situation where so many cans of black olives get consumed in one sitting.

Man, I'm hungry now!

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    y'all taliking about real cranberry sauce or that congealed thing in a can? after i thought it'd be nice to make real cranbery sauce one thanksgiving i can't go back to the canned stuff.
    Hey, Hey! My mother used to stay up all night carving cranberry sauce into the shape of a can.

Turducken?

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

Now, I love it.

-EarlJam
    I used to like chopped liver & schmaltz (chicken fat).
    Now I can't stand them.

I have yet to try turducken, but am thinking about it after T-giving. Can anyone verify the turducken phenomenon?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

turducken

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Now I can't stand them.

I have yet to try turducken, but am thinking about it after T-giving. Can anyone verify the turducken phenomenon?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Seen pictures, never tasted, probably never will unless you cook it for us over the holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Now I can't stand them.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    turducken is a wonder to behold. but just like stuffing a turkey with dessing you run the risk of either undercooking or overcooking due to the variations between the individual constituents within the turkey.

Thanksgiving feasts

Marriott buffet this year-it is the father/mother-in-law turn to host the meal and their plan is to treat the NC folks/family to a feeding frenzy at one of the fancy hotels of their or our choosing. Let the gorging begin!(sorry you can't join us Lavabe-have a great time in DC). Next year, Mrs. Devildeac and I will host the same group with the usual suspects of veggies, meats, salads, starches and a couple sweet endings, washed down with a California chardonnay for the grape worshippers and a pumpkin ale or other seasonal brew for the hop lovers.

the regulars . . .

two turkeys, one oven-baked, one smoked on the grill
    gravy
    two types of dressing, one with sausage
    jellied cranberry sauce (can)
    whole-berry sauce (can)
    homemade cranberry/orange relish
    potato salad
    creamed onions
    marinated carrots
    collards
    turnip greens
    sweet potatoes w/cinnamon & brown sugar
    rolls
    lots of pickles, olives, pepper jelly, etc
    sweet potato pie, cranberry-apple pie, pecan pie, cherry pie, mincemeat pie, pumpkin pie

We have a big family and we eat all weekend long. Kind of a rolling Thanksgiving. And we have to roll home afterwards.