Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Doug Gottlieb

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Assuming the teams got 16 points for a first place vote and 1 point for a 16th place vote, here's the listing for the poll positions and way the totals appear without Gottlieb's votes:

1. UCLA - 139
    2. UNC - 133
    2. Memphis - 131
    4. Duke - 105
    5. Kansas - 109
    6. G-town - 103
    7. Texas - 82
    8. Washington St. - 83
    9. Texas A&M - 80

Assuming that he voted UCLA first (like almost everyone else) you would take their total to 155. UNC and Memphis both had significantly more points than Duke did and it's safe to think that Gottlieb would have one of the two somewhere in the top 3, but they would have to be two places apart. At the same time, Duke picked up 5 points on Kansas and maintained at least a 1-point lead over Georgetown. It's just a guess on my part (there are obviously several possible permutations) but I think Gottlieb's Power 16 starts out like this:

1. UCLA
    2. Memphis
    3. Duke
    4. UNC
    5. Georgetown
    6. Texas
    7. Washington State.
    8. Texas A&M
    9. Kansas.

Maybe he's not an idiot...
    Can't argue with the math, kudos for the analysis, but just can't believe that Gottlieb would put Duke anywhere close to # 3. I suspect there is a differenent explanation, though I don't have one to offer, other than it's a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    Of course, that was after the flu pandemic of '08. Hardly a fair comparison.
    Well played. *golf clap*

WE NEED TO CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE:

DOUG GOTTLIEB: Closet Duke Homer?

Here's the real list

1. UCLA
    2. Memphis
    3. Duke
    4. North Carolina
    5. Georgetown
    6. Kansas
    7. Texas
    8. Washington State
    9. Texas A&M
    10. Marquette
    11. Butler
    12. Clemson
    13. Tennessee
    14. Michigan State
    15. BYU
    16. Vanderbilt

Gottlieb has us ahead of UNC.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    WE NEED TO CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE:

DOUG GOTTLIEB: Closet Duke Homer?

Here's the real list

1. UCLA
    2. Memphis
    3. Duke
    4. North Carolina
    5. Georgetown
    6. Kansas
    7. Texas
    8. Washington State
    9. Texas A&M
    10. Marquette
    11. Butler
    12. Clemson
    13. Tennessee
    14. Michigan State
    15. BYU
    16. Vanderbilt

Gottlieb has us ahead of UNC.

Now, he'll get angry, well thought out e-mails from Kentucky, UNC-Chapel Hill, and OK St. fans complaining about pro-Duke bias.

Duke, #4 in ESPN Power 16

A lot of respect here. Kind of surprising seeing how they are above Kansas and Georgetown.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerr...on=2008&week=4

lookin at who voted duke where in their personal Power 16... Fran Fraschilla has them at #2!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3131857

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

Gottlieb's rankings have changed

Quote Originally Posted by heath_harshman4 View Post
    lookin at who voted duke where in their personal Power 16... Fran Fraschilla has them at #2!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3131857
    Seems that something has changed. Look at what Gottlieb has Duke at now at this same link (in the quoted text above). #3!

Here's his top 10:
    1. UCLA
    2. Memphis
    3. Duke
    4. North Carolina
    5. Georgetown
    6. Kansas
    7. Texas
    8. Washington State
    9. Texas A&M
    10. Marquette
    Grey Devil

When I first posted this thread, the latest ESPN Power 16 had just been released and it looks like it did not have Gottlieb's updated rankings. Do you think he didn't vote originally or that his personal ranking was just not updated?

In the prior weeks of the Power 16 rankings, Gottlieb didn't have Duke ranked, which i found unfounded. So today, Gottlieb goes from not ranking Duke in prior weeks to now #3 - quite a shift. I wonder if someone at ESPN or his fellow rankers said something to him?

Regardless, I am glad Doug has awakened and smelled the coffee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    When I first posted this thread, the latest ESPN Power 16 had just been released and it looks like it did not have Gottlieb's updated rankings. Do you think he didn't vote originally or that his personal ranking was just not updated?

In the prior weeks of the Power 16 rankings, Gottlieb didn't have Duke ranked, which i found unfounded. So today, Gottlieb goes from not ranking Duke in prior weeks to now #3 - quite a shift. I wonder if someone at ESPN or his fellow rankers said something to him?

Regardless, I am glad Doug has awakened and smelled the coffee!!
    If I had to guess, I suspect that he voted originally and then did not do so subsequently. I think this is his first update of his original rankings (which explains the big shift). As was noted in several other posts, he had many anomalies, including other teams that clearly shouldn't have been there as of last week (such as Kentucky. I think the Duke omission was merely a case of Gottlieb not having entered data at all recently, and not an intended slight at Duke. It would not have been unreasonable at all to have Duke outside the "power 16" as of preseason.

Gottlieb is clearly the anti-Christ. He should be hanged by his lips with fishing hooks from the scoreboard in Cameron and flogged with two-by-fours filled with rusty nails.

Everyone had a slightly different list of hoped for improvements for different players coming into the season, not to mention high expectations for Singlar et al. How many seem to have been met? Pretty remarkable, if you ask me. None, by itself, is particularly surprising (except for the changes in the K man his ownself). But all of them? Together?

Who would have thunk it?

well, even ESPN needs a good douche...who cares what he thinks anyway, he's about as useful as binoculars in Cameron

everyone hates Doug Gottlieb

Don't be silly, not everyone knows Doug Gottlieb

Wow. Those chat questions are obnoxious, but Gottleib's answers are even more childish.

Don't be silly, not everyone knows Doug Gottlieb
    Lol.

Only 54 more posts and I'll be JJ. It's all I ever wanted for Christmas from 2002 to 2005 Maybe this year!

This question nearly made me spew Sprite...

Mike Indiana: How did your mediocre basketball career prepare you for a mediocre broadcasting career?

Awesome.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    This question nearly made me spew Sprite...

Mike Indiana: How did your mediocre basketball career prepare you for a mediocre broadcasting career?

Awesome.

-EJ
    It's too bad they don't allow rebuttals from questioners. I would have been terrifically amused by a Mike Indiana response to the "which one of us works at ESPN?" crack if "Mike" turned out to be like, a VP at Eli Lily & Co. or somesuch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    It's too bad they don't allow rebuttals from questioners. I would have been terrifically amused by a Mike Indiana response to the "which one of us works at ESPN?" crack if "Mike" turned out to be like, a VP at Eli Lily & Co. or somesuch.
    Indeed. What an a&& bag. I've got a friend, by the way, who started off as a Domino's pizza delivery boy, worked his way up, and now owns several stores and is quite successful. Loves his job.

Doug needs to be careful. Statements like that will alert the Karma police to render justice. And you don't want the Karma police to render justice on yo person.

-EJ