Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doug Gottlieb

Doug Gottlieb

Did anyone hear Doug Gottlieb say that Princeton had absolutely no right to be in Maui? Ouch. Way to throw them under the bus. Sure, they fell down by 30, but they didn't pack it in.

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

More like Doug Gottleib = blithering idiot.

Pay no attention to the man.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post

I agree. He tried to rip the Alabama football team and couldn't even get that right. If you're going to make fun the Crimson Tide for losing on Saturday, make sure you name the right school that beat them. La. Monroe, not Louisiana-Lafayette. Smooth Doug, smooth.

He's right, though. There *are* too many preseason tournaments, and this Princeton team didn't belong in one.

Let them all play!

Who cares who is and is not in the preseason tourneys? When's the last time Princeton went to Hawaii for basketball? Never! That's when. I think that Chaminade proved today that you never know what your going to get.

Maybe because there are so many, teams like Princeton have to play. Or maybe they just didn't forsee having a bad team a couple years ago when they signed up for Maui Invitational...

Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

Yeah, it's not like we're talking about the BCS or the NCAA tournament where teams have to be at a certain level to get in. Too many preseason tournaments? According to what? There are as many preseason tournaments as the amount of money and venues dictates.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post

but he used to be the big 12 assist leader in assists!

well played by our boys. our first time goin 11 deep so i'm pleased.

Doug Gottlieb is an idiot. Has been for a long time, will always be, should not be on the air, and no one cares what he says.

He has no knowledge from which he speaks. He has no experience which warrants him to express any thought or opinion. Let's see what we can do to get this unqualified duffus fired.

I'm glad someone brought this topic up because I was thinking the same thing last night when Gottlieb was saying that Duke was a better team without Paulus. And Brennan basically told him he was an idiot for saying that.

Gottlieb is a blithering idiot and there is no question he has an anti-Duke bias. This goes back a while but I distinctly remember feeling it a lot last season. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the type to cheer when Duke lost to VCU (remember reports of sportswriters cheering against Duke in the press room?).

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I'm glad someone brought this topic up because I was thinking the same thing last night when Gottlieb was saying that Duke was a better team without Paulus. And Brennan basically told him he was an idiot for saying that.

I'm curious as to what Gottlieb's colleagues think of him. It seems like he would not be one that would be highly respected by his peers, especially the guys who have ESPN radio shows. It would say ESPN radio has a number of individuals who are highly opinionated, so Gottlieb tries to play along and throw out his own ridiculous opinions for his show.

I'm all for 2nd chances and against beating dead horses but I will now ignore my principles: this must be mentioned...

"However during Gottlieb's freshman year at Notre Dame, he stole credit cards from a roommate and fraudulently charged over $900 to those cards. Subsequently, he was kicked off the Notre Dame basketball team and eventually convicted of misdemeanor fraud."

Not so sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    He's right, though. There *are* too many preseason tournaments, and this Princeton team didn't belong in one.
    Perhaps there is too much coverage of early season college basketball and Gottlieb has no business getting a stage?

Who is to say which teams "belong" in a tournament. Princeton has one of the more storied histories in college basketball. They have a proven track record of success employing an unconventional strategy. Their inclusion no doubt would provide an interesting conflict of styles. In fact, I had fun previewing their style (and how it so opposed our new approach) for my wife before the game. Based on their pedigree alone, I think they should get a ticket to early tourneys.

Moreover, how can anyone say they are terrible? This was the third game of the season. Yes, our initial burst made them look bad, but so did Illinois' burst against ASU. Did ASU deserve to be there? For 3/4 of the game, Princeton played right with us. I wish them much success this season -- the season is young and there are many games to be played before we can really evaluate them. Maybe we just can be very, very good when we play with great effort and focus (let's do that for 40 minutes tonight).

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'm curious as to what Gottlieb's colleagues think of him. It seems like he would not be one that would be highly respected by his peers, especially the guys who have ESPN radio shows. It would say ESPN radio has a number of individuals who are highly opinionated, so Gottlieb tries to play along and throw out his own ridiculous opinions for his show.
    I remember seeing an ESPN News piece a little while back when Andy Katz and Doug Gottlieb were giving opinions on various college basketball issues. This was before Gottlieb was getting as much face time on ESPN. Anyhow, Doug just dominated the discussion, and Andy could not get a word in edgewise. Andy was visibly frustrated. I thought it was kind of amusing, and that's my first memory of Doug Gottlieb. I'm not sure how Andy Katz feels about him now, but he definitely seemed annoyed by him on that day.

Power 16

Duke is ranked from 9th to 13 on all the ballots for ESPN's Power 16 poll, with the exception of Dougs ballot. He doesn't have Duke ranked at all, but does have Davidson and NCSU. I guess according to him, were number 4 in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post
    Duke is ranked from 9th to 13 on all the ballots for ESPN's Power 16 poll, with the exception of Dougs ballot. He doesn't have Duke ranked at all, but does have Davidson and NCSU. I guess according to him, were number 4 in NC.
    Yes, he also lists Kentucky at 15, after the Gardner-Webb tragic unmasking. The more blatant a bias, the easier it is to be discredited. I regard him as purely provocative. No real substance, just shock jock attitude. Unfortunately, its contagious at ESPN.

Everything about Gottlieb is odd and off-putting. He's consistently and aggressively dumb. As a player, he was perhaps the worst shooter ever to play guard for a D-1 program. He couldn't shoot at bit, yet somehow managed to be a decent guard. He also used to wear shoes that were two sizes too small; he liked the feeling of pain in his feet while he played. Just a weird dude.

I don't generally join with the "their out to get us" crowd, but it does seem like he dislikes Duke. If so, it may be because his career ended at the hands of Duke in a game that had some crucial controversial calls. He seems like someone who would still be noticeably bitter a decade later about something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sundown View Post
    Everything about Gottlieb is odd and off-putting. He's consistently and aggressively dumb. As a player, he was perhaps the worst shooter ever to play guard for a D-1 program. He couldn't shoot at bit, yet somehow managed to be a decent guard. He also used to wear shoes that were two sizes too small; he liked the feeling of pain in his feet while he played. Just a weird dude.

I don't generally join with the "their out to get us" crowd, but it does seem like he dislikes Duke. If so, it may be because his career ended at the hands of Duke in a game that had some crucial controversial calls. He seems like someone who would still be noticeably bitter a decade later about something like that.
    Where have you been? Haven't seen a post from you in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Where have you been? Haven't seen a post from you in ages.
    Elsewhere on The Internets, mostly. I'm excited about this team, though, and have decided to start posting here again. I also like the new board (well, it's new to me).

I've been lurking for a few weeks, though, and am glad to see you're still at it.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post
    I was going to make the same observation but the above poster beat me to it. Al Featherston's new book arrived last night and in the chapter on Wojo he mentions the Duke win over Gottlieb's Ok. State team in the 1998 NCAA tournament You think that might be influencing his attitude toward Duke? Hmmm.

Buy Al's book by the way. What a great trip down memory lane expressed, in part, in the words of many of the players who made Duke basketball what it is.

Doug Gottlieb is just one of many really bad things about ESPN basketball coverage - many have been mentioned previously.

Last night, for example, there was not enough time between the end of the UCLA-Md game and the beginning of the Duke game. We had to watch free throws and our game was basically over by the time they switched over. Fox Sports Net games on their ACC coverage take into account that games last mmore than 2 hours. How many years does it take for ESPN to learn that college basketball games usually take more than two hours? Apparently, they will never figure it out.

The second thing we found out last night while having to watch the free throws of the Md game is that Dick Vitale is no better this year than the previous years.

So IMO, ESPN should get rid of the Dicks (Vitale and Gottleib) and give games more time.
    ~rthomas