Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Josh McRoberts Play

Tonight we saw the entire gambit of McBob's season in 45 minutes. He had the first half where he disappeared because of getting a few early fouls, the second half and overtime where he had flashes of absolute dominance in the post and he also had the game turning possession in OT where we eventually lost it. The play I'm referring to is where, after scoring every time he touched the ball, he got the ball deep in the post and instead of making a move and shooting, he took 2 dribbles and passed it back out to Paulus. I told my wife the game was over at that point.

I think Josh hasn't figured out how to best use his skills on offense yet. He thinks too much about making a great pass or setting up the rest of the team. What I would like to see him do is to watch a few Boozer/S. Williams tapes and watch them in the post. Now I realize those two were more of the bruising post player types, but what they did when they got the ball in the post was go immediately into scoring moves until the double teams came and then pass. Josh often gets the ball in good position but then seems to try to draw a double team by just waiting. That is less effective than having the team try to react to an offensive move.

By the way, someone posted in another thread that we have terrible defense in the post. I actually think Josh is one of the better post defenders we have had in a while. The problem is that we have very poor helpside defense (especially the 2nd half of the season), and we rarely double team by bringing a guard down from the key. Coach K mentioned that communication is the problem, so I'm not sure if it is Josh not doing a good job talking or the helpside guys not listening.

Just a few thoughts... I love Josh's game and would like to see him come back for one more year. I personally think he's gone and don't really disagree with that decision. The only thing that may keep him is the fact that this years draft is so strong...

I agree.....

He has NO posts moves, except the little running hook shot which is not that accurate. His whole summer needs to be spent in the weightroom and working on his post game ( not his dribbling / point guard game ) and I think he needs to come back another year and iron out those little flaws don't you

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    He has NO posts moves, except the little running hook shot which is not that accurate. His whole summer needs to be spent in the weightroom and working on his post game ( not his dribbling / point guard game ) and I think he needs to come back another year and iron out those little flaws don't you
    I agree that Josh needs to hit the weight room -- I remarked to a friend during last week's game at Carolina that it was interesting that Zoubek has bulked up noticeably over the course of the season and McRoberts hasn't.

Some of it's probably metabolism, and I wonder if the off-season back injury has played a part... but I'd love to be a fly on the wall of one of Wojo's big-man sessions.

I agree totally Dukie. People bash Josh, but can you imagine if he had left after LAST season. It would have been UGLY very very UGLY!

And if he does read what people say about him here, who could blame him for leaving?

"Tonight we saw the entire gambit of McBob's season in 45 minutes. He had the first half where he disappeared because of getting a few early fouls, the second half and overtime where he had flashes of absolute dominance in the post and he also had the game turning possession in OT where we eventually lost it. The play I'm referring to is where, after scoring every time he touched the ball, he got the ball deep in the post and instead of making a move and shooting, he took 2 dribbles and passed it back out to Paulus. I told my wife the game was over at that point."

I'm so glad you said this !!!!!!! When he passed it back to Paulus, I literally let out an expletive in my living room. Him and McCauley were going back and forth and when it was our turn to answer again, McRoberts straight up backed down. I was very, very disappointed in that, because for the first time all sesaon, save the 2nd BC game, Josh was in an offensive rhythm. I too thought the game was over as soon as he passed it out. I know some say we expect too much of this kid too soon, but I think that's the case with Paulus, who has no intentions of testing NBA waters. When you come to college and decide to leave early for the NBA, it's usually after you've been pretty successful or dominated the college level for a full season, consistently. If everyone, including himself, considers Josh a potential lottery pick and he's so regularly mentioned in NBA draft talk, then he has to do something to warrant that discussion...I'm still waiting and thus believe he really needs to stay another year...
    Last edited by Classof06; 03-09-2007 at 11:03 AM.

I agree that Josh does play weak. He doesn't love to bang, and hasn't really developed "big" moves (up and under, etc etc.) He sort of holds it, takes three dribbles, fakes a few times, and then goes up.

However, I am not sure that he will come back. Like Shav, forcing Josh to play inside might help DUKE, but I don't think it will help his NBA prospects. Josh will be a 3 in the league, or maybe a 4, but won't really need to be a back to the basket type of player. So we can talk about him bulking up and all that, but I am not sure it will happen.

Now Zoubs... he better start working!

If Josh is going to be a 3 in the NBA, he better start working on his jump shot. He's no Tayshawn (sp?) Prince. I'd love to see him work on his slow release, arc and accuracy over the summer so he can show us a complete package next year at DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I agree that Josh does play weak. He doesn't love to bang, and hasn't really developed "big" moves (up and under, etc etc.) He sort of holds it, takes three dribbles, fakes a few times, and then goes up.

However, I am not sure that he will come back. Like Shav, forcing Josh to play inside might help DUKE, but I don't think it will help his NBA prospects. Josh will be a 3 in the league, or maybe a 4, but won't really need to be a back to the basket type of player. So we can talk about him bulking up and all that, but I am not sure it will happen.

Now Zoubs... he better start working!
    I think Josh is a 4 in the NBA, he doesn't have the range to play 3. If was was consistantly knocking the "3" down at this level he'd have a chance, but as a right now his outside shot isn't as good as what Cherokee Parks or Eric Meeks had. I think he needs one more year to get stronger and work on his jumper. The biggest thing is he wasn't asked to do much last year, then this year he was expected to be the man. I really think is Josh works on his jumper and strength he could dominate a game the way Laettner could because he'd be to tough to guard on the perimeter for a big man, but if you put a smaller guy on him, he'll take him down low and overpower him.

Just making this little post just reminded me how much I loved #32.

Forget range.

Josh doesn't have the quickness to play at the 3 in the NBA.

He's a perimeter oriented PF and there is nothing wrong with that (except for his complete lack of a jump shot).

Man, I loved Christian too! He just took over the game, willed Duke to win... with lots of help, of course, from Bobby and Grant and Thomas and others. But what everyone thought was obnoxious self-love on his part was really a determination to get every ounce of strength--both physical and emotional--and lay it out on the floor.

This year's team, for whatever reason, just can't even come close!
    DukeDevilDeb

Using Josh and the NBA

IMHO, Josh is a bit of an enigma. I think it must be very challenging to try and
    figure out the best way to use his skills. He has some point guard skills along with the mentality and desire of a PG in the body of a power forward or small center. He doesn't have the outside shot or quickness to play the 3 slot but has he really demonstrated an interior game to play the 4?

I know that the general belief is that he will go to the NBA after this year by those who are far more of an expert on Duke b-ball than me. But he could benefit from another year at Duke to try and figure out what he wants to be when he grows up, which he needs to do emotionally and attitudinally as well.

Interesting that I recently heard Greg Oden say that he doesn't want to go to the NBA unless he thinks he can make an immediate impact. Granted, a lot
    of rookies don't make that impact in the first year, but Josh would make far less of a splash than Oden if they both go after this year, which seems likely.

Oden and Durrant

Both Oden and Durrant are saying they might return- If true, McBob will be even more likely to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Both Oden and Durrant are saying they might return- If true, McBob will be even more likely to go.
    why? it's not like he goes from the 3 to the 1 if they come back (which they won't). if he comes out this year, he's clearly not ready and looking at being picked mid to late first round whether durant and oden are in the draft or not.

Feinstein on McRoberts

In today's article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030902200.html

John Feinstein says this about him:

"These days Duke is symbolized by Josh McRoberts, who simply couldn't defend State's Brandon Costner (career-high 30 points) and spent much of the evening pulling the ball out of the net and screaming at teammates as if it were their fault that he couldn't -- as Bob Knight once eloquently put it -- guard the floor.

"McRoberts puts up nice numbers but appears to believe that playing college basketball is beneath him at times. He's about as ready for the NBA as he is for Broadway, but he may very well depart after the season. If you believe what people close to the Duke program are saying, few tears will be shed in the locker room if that occurs."

Makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Bay Area Duke Fan; 03-10-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Josh

seems most effective playing the post, yet, he floats all over. An enigma is a very good description of his season/game. Never know what you'll get from possession-to-possession, half-to-half and game-to-game. Frustrating being a fan this year. Anything's possible. Such a Jeckyl/Hyde year.
    Let's find a way to get hot and peeve off some folks

McRoberts the post player

Josh strikes me not as a #5 but a #4. He is being asked to do something he really isn't "designed" to do in playing against some pretty rugged #5's on defense who often just push him out of the way.He also has to cover up for the occasional guard who slips past. He can drag the big guys outside on offense which has helped as long as the other team allowed that to happen. Contrary to most people here, I think Z is a pretty good #5 and did well against TH in the #1UNC game. For no real good reason I have a hunch if Z could get the ball near the lane up to 10 ft and turn and shoot as #1 choice instead of feeding as #1 choice we would be singing his praises now. I wished all season that Z would get some significant minutes at 5 along with Josh at 4 with the other guys rotating in at 1,2 and 3 may have been awesome - maybe not but just a wish.

McBob and defense

I think in the right situations Josh is a fantastic defender. He seems to have shortcomings when, a) he's guarding a tall center with good post moves one on one, and b) he has to help on another big man.

Good centers can score over him, and he tends to pick up fouls if the opponents 4 gets around our guy and Josh is there.

Josh's athleticism makes him an outstanding defender, especially when he can guard the other 4. I feel like matching him up on post defense with a smaller McClure and less experienced Lance hurts his potential there. Hopefully next year, if he stays, playing next to Z will really help him.

And if Z and Lance progress and get more minutes, then Josh's foul trouble might be a thing of the past...

I've wondered if some of McRoberts' hesitancy in the paint is his not wanting to get fouled and have to shoot free throws. Wouldn't be the first player that has gotten into that habit. When he goes to the rim strong he can be unstoppable, be nice to see him use his reach and length down low some.

I guess if you shoot 50% from the free throw line, to better that, a player would only need to shoot over 25% from the floor. So why take high percentage shots and draw contact to get to the line when you can just do spin moves and go 3 for 10? Not that a player would necessarily do the math, might just not want or try to get to the line. On the other hand, if you can shoot say 10 for 10 from the floor and go 10 for 10 from the line you can put together a memorable game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    He is being asked to do something he really isn't "designed" to do...
    I certainly cannot fault Josh, or any of the players for that matter, for their development. You can't put a square peg in a round hole, yet the players are forced to adapt to the system, rather than the system adapting to the players. Only one place accountability lies there.

Quote Originally Posted by FewFAC View Post
    I certainly cannot fault Josh, or any of the players for that matter, for their development. You can't put a square peg in a round hole, yet the players are forced to adapt to the system, rather than the system adapting to the players. Only one place accountability lies there.
    I assume you mean that the players should adapt to the "Coach K system". I'm sure they were recruited with that in mind, however all coaches have to tweek their pet system every year to fit the personel (or sit them). It is the effectiveness of the players in the final analysis that produces W's not a "system" as all different kind of systems (actually multiple systems) are used both on offense and defense and should be, for the players, almost interchangeable depending on the game situation. Also teams have won with all different kinds of systems.
    Having a player play 5, however, who is not a 5 dosen't mean he can't do it; it means he can't do it as well as he could play 4. Taking the example to an absudity think of GP playing 5 - he's just can't do it well, no matter how much he may want to or how hard he tries - and GP really tries hard - but he's not just built that way.