Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question The G foul rule?

I watched some of the Gardner-Webb/UConn match last night. There was an occasion in the second half where a shot blocked by GW's center was called an intentional foul because of the force of the block. He did make contact and a foul was justified, but I did not see anything that spoke of any intent to do anything other than block the shot. Contact was first made with the ball and the continuing motion of the defender's hand made contact with the shooter's arm. No blood. The announcers mentioned this was a new rule, relating to the force of the foul. Certainly the officials have yet to read the player's mind to discern intent.

Just curious if anyone else saw this, or knows if a new rule has been installed/related to the Frog Face unfortunate injury of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I watched some of the Gardner-Webb/UConn match last night. There was an occasion in the second half where a shot blocked by GW's center was called an intentional foul because of the force of the block. He did make contact and a foul was justified, but I did not see anything that spoke of any intent to do anything other than block the shot. Contact was first made with the ball and the continuing motion of the defender's hand made contact with the shooter's arm. No blood. The announcers mentioned this was a new rule, relating to the force of the foul. Certainly the officials have yet to read the player's mind to discern intent.

Just curious if anyone else saw this, or knows if a new rule has been installed/related to the Frog Face unfortunate injury of last year.
    I heard that during the game and was wondering the same thing too. Of course, that game was completely unwatchable because there was a foul every half second, but that's besides the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I heard that during the game and was wondering the same thing too. Of course, that game was completely unwatchable because there was a foul every half second, but that's besides the point.
    The foul count was outrageous. And in many cases, unjustified.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Anybody that has ever played knows that players get frustrated at the end of a game that is lost. The problem was not that the players were still in the game, but that Roy had his players lined up on the free throw line trying to rebound with 10 seconds left and the game over. Hansborough was still playing hard as he always does. When a game is over the coaches should pull the team back to avoid this type of situation. I think Ole Roy deserves some heat for what occurred which will not be a popular opinion in Chapel Hill.
    I can't believe I'm agreeing with a UNC fan, but Coach K's criticism of who was in the game was in poor form, IMO. He should have just let it go, or stuck to criticizing himself for leaving his starters in at that point. His comments, coupled with the statement later that Henderson was the victim, only poured gasoline on the fire.

Let's face it, if the situation was reversed, and it was Hansbrough who broke Gerald's nose at the end of a decided game, and Roy had the audacity to criticize K for having Gerald in the game, we'd all be beside ourselves with rage. However, I think a handshake at midcourt between the two would go a long way towards putting this whole incident behind us. I hope they do it.

I think it's better to just admit that K should have stuck to an apology.
    "There can BE only one."

Good post, Highlander.

It is my hope that we can quit arguing about this.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by mepanchin View Post
    My favorite post was some guy saying that if he played a pick-up game with Henderson, he'd elbow him in the face. I would love to see some sniveling, pasty nerd try to elbow a very strong, very fit 6'5" man in the face and live to tell the tale.
    Yeah I saw that one! Argh. I hate InsideCarolina. I don't even know why I look over there, except I keep hoping I'll see a halfway intelligent post. So far I am like 2 for 14,680.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    this whole thread just reminds me how much it ticks me off to see our own fans constantly remind G of the incident with the stupid "G" (raise your elbows up) cheer. Can someone who writes the cheer sheets (if any of you are reading this) PLEASE make a note that this practice needs to be stopped. Its embarassing.

Sure, its ok to enjoy to yourself (and keep it quiet that you enjoy it) the replays of Hansblablah smearing blood on his face to cover his tears, but we shouldn't be glorifying it publicly, nor should we be so stupid as to think that this is what G should be known for.
    I'm part of the student section and I have not seen this cheer. It's definitely not in the cheer sheet.

That being said, I think Duke dodged a bullet in that there were apparently no reporters at Cameron during the game, when students watched the game on big screens. The raucous cheering each time the play was shown would have been worse publicity than either the incident itself or K's words afterwards. I'll admit that a part of me enjoyed seeing that play, but another part of me found the whole episode, especially students' reactions, embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post

Your best course of action when listening to the commentators about anything related to officiating is to, first and foremost, assume that they are full of crap. That's going to set you in the right direction 9 times out of 10.

There is no new rule "relating to the force of the foul" in men's college basketball this year. Excessive contact is a Point of Emphasis, but it has been for the last 11 years, so it's not like it's anything new.

Unfortunately, not having seen the play you a referring to, I can't really comment on it, other than to say that, according to Rule 4-29-2-d-1 (yes, that's real rule reference ), excessive contact of any kind, even while playing the ball, can be ruled intentional.

Tying this back into the whole G-Hansbrough incident, IMHO it should have been called an intentional foul.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    I'm part of the student section and I have not seen this cheer. It's definitely not in the cheer sheet.
    Its a small group of students in the undergrad section, over by where the "baby" usually is. It usually doesn't spread, thankfully, but I'd say theres a group of 20 some students who participate in it sometimes. Its right in front of me b/c I'm in the front of the grad student section, and I really want to just run over and tell them to stop, cuz its in a place where you know K and G can see it, which is the most embarassing part about it all. They chant "G, G, G, G" and raise left elbow, then right elbow, then left, etc. I wasn't trying to imply that the cheer sheet started it at all, just asying that perhaps it can be used as a means to stop it, sort of like stopping the "you can't do that" chant. This chant, IMO, is far worse.

Henderson

I think this is still being discussed now(a bit early I will admit as we don't play kerlina until next year) because my/our memories are still painfully aware of the incident and statements like this:

"By rule, this is a flagrant foul for combative and confrontational action. It is ruled a fight. By rule, it is an automatic ejection. By NCAA rule,[Henderson] must sit out the next game." (Joint statement issued after the game by officials Les Jones, Karl Hess and Jamie Luckie). This is from the Raleigh N&O a day or so after it occurred-I did not save the date.

Discuss this statement by these officials.

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    That wouldn't be too unusual. They were teammates at Oak Hill and started together in the same backcourt.
    Not too surprising at all. If I remember correctly, McCants and Redick had a semi-friendship coming out of high school. That was surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    Its a small group of students in the undergrad section, over by where the "baby" usually is. It usually doesn't spread, thankfully, but I'd say theres a group of 20 some students who participate in it sometimes. Its right in front of me b/c I'm in the front of the grad student section, and I really want to just run over and tell them to stop, cuz its in a place where you know K and G can see it, which is the most embarassing part about it all. They chant "G, G, G, G" and raise left elbow, then right elbow, then left, etc. I wasn't trying to imply that the cheer sheet started it at all, just asying that perhaps it can be used as a means to stop it, sort of like stopping the "you can't do that" chant. This chant, IMO, is far worse.
    I haven't been to a game this year (graduated '06), so I haven't seen this, but what you're describing sure sounds like it's a play off of the Lee Melchionni chant. Not that that makes it a particularly good idea, given the history, but unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't think this is a reference to the Hansbrough incident...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think this is still being discussed now(a bit early I will admit as we don't play kerlina until next year) because my/our memories are still painfully aware of the incident and statements like this:

"By rule, this is a flagrant foul for combative and confrontational action. It is ruled a fight. By rule, it is an automatic ejection. By NCAA rule,[Henderson] must sit out the next game." (Joint statement issued after the game by officials Les Jones, Karl Hess and Jamie Luckie). This is from the Raleigh N&O a day or so after it occurred-I did not save the date.

Discuss this statement by these officials.
    I don't necessarily agree with it, but I can certainly understand how they arrived at that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by gethlives View Post
    I agree that it was bad word choice to say that K though Tyler brought it upon himself. I do think however that it was even poorer word choice to suggest that there was any problem with Carolina and Duke starters being in the game at that point.
    All he was saying is that, as a factual matter, it was too bad starters were out there. The game was over. They weren't needed. If they had not been out there, neither would Henderson have been suspended nor would Hansborough have been injured. I mean--that's just a fact. Right?

I do agree with Highlander that it would have been better if K had not gone there; however, I don't want to see any pregame handshake. Gerald should just ignore the situation and focus on the game.
    Last edited by RepoMan; 11-17-2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: to agree, in part, with Highlander
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little