Thread: A Few Things

A Few Things

I just wanted to comment on a few things that have come up here lately, primarily involving the ideals we've always been after on a board and what is and isn't acceptable.
    Caveat: we have entrusted the mods to run things and defer to them. Just because I express my opinion doesn't mean I'm going to force them to agree with it. We asked them to do a job and we're going to let them do it unless there is a serious problem.
    Here's the key to the board as I see it: it's okay to disagree and it's okay to criticize, but there's no need to get ugly about it. There are consistent questions/criticisms about Duke basketball and strategy and they come up on a regular basis. Okay, fine. But they can be discussed with good intent, and they can be discussed without ripping someone a new one. What's the point in that? If you have a serious disagreement with someone, please take it somewhere else.
    I also think there's no need to beat a dead horse. When you make a point over and over again, it's just frankly a bore to read it time after time, and that's true no matter how brilliant the point is. If Isaac Newton sat next to you and told you the story of the apple all day long, we're guessing you'd get sick of his genius in a big hurry. If you just want to log on and say the same thing for weeks on end, you might be asked to take a break.
    Our original idea was to have a kind of neighborhood tavern, and that everyone could hang out and have a good time. But that requires a level of civility and good will and a willingness to tolerate differences. And as long as people disagree politely, why should there be any problem?
    Finally, there's been a bit of controversy over what you can and can't say about people's private lives, and at least one poster made an error in judgment (for which he has apologized and that apology was accepted).
    Those sorts of things should be off limits or at least the limits that anyone imposes about their own lives should be respected by the rest of us.
    In case that's not clear: if someone hasn't discussed aspects of their personal life, or if it's not being discussed as a news story, it's probably not right to bring it here.
    But let's put all that aside and let's all get together on what we agree on: college basketball is the coolest sport there is, and Duke is the most fun team to be around! It's going to be a fun year. Those of you who haven't seen the team yet will get your chance next week, and we hope you'll see what the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Our original idea was to have a kind of neighborhood tavern, and that everyone could hang out and have a good time.
    well put. i think this is what you were looking for, merry.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Our original idea was to have a kind of neighborhood tavern, and that everyone could hang out and have a good time.
    And perhaps Julio is being modest, so I'll neither confirm nor deny that we are tracking technology which will install a tap at the side of every DBR user's computer and, through the magic of the Internet, deliver beer.

a few things

Quote Originally Posted by BluBones View Post
    And perhaps Julio is being modest, so I'll neither confirm nor deny that we are tracking technology which will install a tap at the side of every DBR user's computer and, through the magic of the Internet, deliver beer.
    YEESSS!!!!! Fabulous idea. You guys are great. A Bud Light for OZZIE and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for me. Any other takers/orders?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    YEESSS!!!!! Fabulous idea. You guys are great. A Bud Light for OZZIE and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for me. Any other takers/orders?
    Agreed. Of course, I'd be in line behind DukeTaylor for the Bud Light.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

With all due respect...

my fine, good, man, I'd be in line behind you for the Bud Light, with a Smithfield BBQ in hand Includes the slaw and hush puppies!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    my fine, good, man, I'd be in line behind you for the Bud Light
    I beg to differ. When it comes to scarfing down Bud Lights, I am but an amateur compared to you. Of course, perhaps I do need to be in front of you, just to be sure there is some left!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Bud Light?

And here I was, actually thinking you guys liked to drink beer...

a few things

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    my fine, good, man, I'd be in line behind you for the Bud Light, with a Smithfield BBQ in hand Includes the slaw and hush puppies!!
    I am thinking that Julio did not have this in mind when he started this thread but the 2nd post is leading us down this road so here goes-the Smithfield BBQ, slaw, Brunswick stew and hush puppies Mrs. Devildeac and I lovingly carted back from our trip to the coast today was well received and voraciously consumed by Mom, Dad and all the Devildeac offspring upon said return to our proper domicile this evening. We did think about you two(albeit very briefly) as we ingested every morsel. BTW, I think Smithfield BBQ has changed their recipe as the Q appeared to be pulled and not their usual chopped. The Stella Artois and Warsteiner Dunkel were consumed later. I am hoping that the injection of 'cue keeps this on topic .

a few things

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    See the post following yours. OZZIE and Duketaylor have/had the Bud Light, I had the Belgian and German offerings(no offense intended to OZZIE and Duketaylor, but you started it ).

My problem with Bud Light is it's not even good as lawnmower beer goes. Give me Miller Lite, PBR, or Mich Ultra.

I'm watching College FB and drinking Kulmbacher Eisbock. Life is good.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

A tap at every table

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    My problem with Bud Light is it's not even good as lawnmower beer goes. Give me Miller Lite, PBR, or Mich Ultra.

Next time in Atlanta, there's a new place downtown called STATS. It has the do-it-yourself beer tap at each table.

Come to think of it, the beer selection probably doesn't include Duvell. On the other hand, if they have Sweetwater ...

Cheers,
    Lavabe

a few things

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

When folks were talking about EKU, I thought they were referring to Kulmbacher Eisbock(aka EKU 28)

Bud Light?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    My son drank nothing but Bud Light. I took him to County Grill just outside Newport News (good Barbeque and a dozen or so microbrews on tap). I bought him six 4 oz samples. He chose 5 micros and Bud Light "So I'll at least have one I like." He tasted the 5 micros and agreed they were interesting and pretty good. He then drank the Bud Light. "Alright! Who switched my Bud Light for carbonated water? This is just carbonated water! Who did it!" I don't think we ever convinced him.

Man, you guys really hijacked the holy heck out of this thread. Are you guys sure the original thread shouldn't have been left alone?

Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Man, you guys really hijacked the holy heck out of this thread. Are you guys sure the original thread shouldn't have been left alone?
    I'm unclear on that. If, in fact, this a akin to a neighborhood tavern, then should we not be permitted to discuss our favorite libations?

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    I'm unclear on that. If, in fact, this a akin to a neighborhood tavern, then should we not be permitted to discuss our favorite libations?
    Sure, but doing it in a sticky thread gives this discussion a prominence that may not be warranted. Typically, sticky threads are reserved for messages from the mods that deserve the attention of all posters.

Sorry, I can't bring myself to further torture the poor tavern metaphor in pursuit of an analogy for sticky threads. I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.