Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A-Rod gets PAID...

...to stay a Yankee.

10 years, a record $275 million.

Wow.

According to ESPN, it would have been about $27 million more, but Boras totally flubbed the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    ...to stay a Yankee.

10 years, a record $275 million.

Wow.
    275 units of million.

Man. I just want one of them. Or even half of one of them.

Unreal.

-EarlJam

Given everything that has gone on with the Yankees so far this off-season, I don't think they have improved themselves over this last season. They have re-upped pricey veterans for more years at more money, potentially lost out on $7 million a year in subsidies, and still need front line pitching.

i think i heard he also got ~10 million dollars on opting out of his old contract. Additionally, are there any additional incentives in this K? I was half listening to sportscenter and I thought I heard there might be some incentive based escalators in there.

Yeah - I'm no Yankees fan, but if A-rod wanted to demonstrate some team spirit, he'd have a Schilling-like bonus in there that stipulates he gets extra dough if the Yankees win a World Series with him playing.

Back before the Red Sox won in '04 I thought that was very ballsy of Schill to put that in there, given the Sox history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But he was a man, his incentives were aligned with the team's, and he delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Given everything that has gone on with the Yankees so far this off-season, I don't think they have improved themselves over this last season. They have re-upped pricey veterans for more years at more money, potentially lost out on $7 million a year in subsidies, and still need front line pitching.
    I agree and that was my question about this entire fiasco. Is it the goal of the ownership to resign everyone and bring in a new manager and win the World Series? I think that would certainly be a way of saying that it was Torre's fault that he couldn't win if a new manager can come in and win with the same players.

I know the Yankees aren't finished yet and are still trying to get Mike Lowell to come play first base, but I don't understand why they're not looking for pitching. Maybe they're expecting Pettite to return and they're planning on making a deal for Santana. It's not a huge market for big time pitchers, but the market has never mattered for the Steinbrenner's. They set the market.

they have Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy starting. none were there opening day last year. plus they got rid of an ineffective and expensive Clemens.

they won 90 games last year, and made the playoffs after a lousy lousy start so I am not sure why they wouldn't be better next year, barring injuries. we'll see...

the only "loser" in this is boras. but even he didn't make out too bad. he still gets a nice cut of the contract, I assume. his image as the super agent takes a hit, that's all.

the yanks kept the best player in baseball, a-rod got a raise, the Steinbrenners look like they stood their ground.

as a Yankee fan, I was all for re-signing him as long as he didn't opt out. after that I was fine if he walked. all said and done, I'm neither thrilled or disappointed, but somewhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Yeah - I'm no Yankees fan, but if A-rod wanted to demonstrate some team spirit, he'd have a Schilling-like bonus in there that stipulates he gets extra dough if the Yankees win a World Series with him playing.

Back before the Red Sox won in '04 I thought that was very ballsy of Schill to put that in there, given the Sox history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But he was a man, his incentives were aligned with the team's, and he delivered.
    Actually can't do this anymore. MLB no longer allows team-based incentives.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I'm a Red Sox fan so if you want to take anything I say with a grain of salt, feel free to do so.

This sounds to me like attempts at saving face on both sides. Rodriguez/Boras botched the announcement of his going for free agency making them look bad. The Steinbrenners got on a sanctimonious high horse and were looking at a big gaping hole in the middle of their lineup(which would just make their lineup one of the better ones in baseball, as opposed to the juggernaut that had afforded them playoff opportunities the last few years despite subpar pitching). ARod probably wasn't going to find the money elsewhere in baseball(not for the length of contract he wanted, though all it takes is one fool of an owner), so the Yankees were where he had to come back to. Now he's back, because he always wanted to be a Yankee, the Steinbrenners saved $30 million over what they were going to pay him to extend the contract etc etc etc. I don't really buy any of it honestly. The Yankees wanted him in their lineup, and paid to make sure he'd be there. ARod wanted the money(and to play on a team with a chance to win). End result, ARod is back with New York. I think it ends up being a good move for both sides(unfortunately, as a Red Sox fan). The Yankees can afford it, and the guy carried their squad last year.

The Lowell bit makes no sense to me. The only reason I can see the Yankees signing him is explicitly to ensure he isn't with the Red Sox. He is a very different hitter away from Fenway, and the significant extra bonus you get with him is quality defense. Except if you put him at first, you get just a good hitter and a big question mark on defense since he's spent his entire MLB career at 3rd. A four year deal at the terms being bandied about(for a 33 year old coming off a career year who had never hit over .300 before) would be worse than the Sox JD Drew signing - paying a good player as if he were an top flight all star.

As mentioned by others, the Yankees need to look at their pitching. Yeah they've got some good young arms, but if they expect Kennedy, Chamberlain, and Hughes to be their 3 of their top 4 starters in the rotation, that's asking a whole lot. I think only Chamberlain has the capability to be a top of the rotation starter, and before annointing him in that type of role, I need to see him face a lineup more than once in a game, there's a big difference between starting and relieving. He's capable of it, but I don't take it for granted that he'll be as good as he appeared in 1 inning stints. Having the young guns is another reason I think the Yankees do need to get a stud #1 at the top. Basically as a leadership function to bring the young guys along. I think Beckett is/has really paid dividends for the Sox beyond his pitching with his work with Lester and Buchholz. Petitte might be able to fill that role, but I think the Yankees will be looking to do whatever they can to get Santana or someone else. They'll have to give up at least one of those arms to do it, along with significant other talent, but they've been doing a good job of developing talent of late, so they've got the pieces to deal for a good, and not over the hill arm.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out, including what the Red Sox do at 3rd base now - I think Theo will stand pretty firm on the offer to Lowell, so if he wants to be a Red Sox, he can be one, but it will be a sacrifice on his part, as he'll get significantly more money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    As mentioned by others, the Yankees need to look at their pitching. Yeah they've got some good young arms, but if they expect Kennedy, Chamberlain, and Hughes to be their 3 of their top 4 starters in the rotation, that's asking a whole lot. I think only Chamberlain has the capability to be a top of the rotation starter, and before annointing him in that type of role, I need to see him face a lineup more than once in a game, there's a big difference between starting and relieving.
    I do think they are expecting that and as a Yankee fan who has watched every game in which those three have pitched, I am extremely confident that all three will be front-line All-Star caliber pitchers. Chamberlain was obviously dominant in a relief role but he was equally dominant as a starter at each level in the minors. Kennedy was outstanding in every game he started and Hughes started out nearly pitching a no-hitter before getting injured and then pitching extremely well in September. I actually think the Yankees would have been better off starting Hughes or Kennedy than Clemens in the playoffs. The thing that is amazing about them is how poised each one is and how well they handled pitching in New York in the midst of a pennant race. I actually would hate to see one of them go for Santana, but it's hard to pass up one of the best pitchers in baseball - a lefty in Yankee Stadium no less. I think Pettite will come back and between him, the three young guys and Wang, they would have the most complete rotation in the American League. They also have a number of other young guys who have showed promise - Clippard, Karstens, DeSalvo - and additional strong talent in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    I'm a Red Sox fan so if you want to take anything I say with a grain of salt, feel free to do so.

This sounds to me like attempts at saving face on both sides. Rodriguez/Boras botched the announcement of his going for free agency making them look bad. The Steinbrenners got on a sanctimonious high horse and were looking at a big gaping hole in the middle of their lineup(which would just make their lineup one of the better ones in baseball, as opposed to the juggernaut that had afforded them playoff opportunities the last few years despite subpar pitching). ARod probably wasn't going to find the money elsewhere in baseball(not for the length of contract he wanted, though all it takes is one fool of an owner), so the Yankees were where he had to come back to. Now he's back, because he always wanted to be a Yankee, the Steinbrenners saved $30 million over what they were going to pay him to extend the contract etc etc etc. I don't really buy any of it honestly. The Yankees wanted him in their lineup, and paid to make sure he'd be there. ARod wanted the money(and to play on a team with a chance to win). End result, ARod is back with New York. I think it ends up being a good move for both sides(unfortunately, as a Red Sox fan). The Yankees can afford it, and the guy carried their squad last year.

The Lowell bit makes no sense to me. The only reason I can see the Yankees signing him is explicitly to ensure he isn't with the Red Sox. He is a very different hitter away from Fenway, and the significant extra bonus you get with him is quality defense. Except if you put him at first, you get just a good hitter and a big question mark on defense since he's spent his entire MLB career at 3rd. A four year deal at the terms being bandied about(for a 33 year old coming off a career year who had never hit over .300 before) would be worse than the Sox JD Drew signing - paying a good player as if he were an top flight all star.

As mentioned by others, the Yankees need to look at their pitching. Yeah they've got some good young arms, but if they expect Kennedy, Chamberlain, and Hughes to be their 3 of their top 4 starters in the rotation, that's asking a whole lot. I think only Chamberlain has the capability to be a top of the rotation starter, and before annointing him in that type of role, I need to see him face a lineup more than once in a game, there's a big difference between starting and relieving. He's capable of it, but I don't take it for granted that he'll be as good as he appeared in 1 inning stints. Having the young guns is another reason I think the Yankees do need to get a stud #1 at the top. Basically as a leadership function to bring the young guys along. I think Beckett is/has really paid dividends for the Sox beyond his pitching with his work with Lester and Buchholz. Petitte might be able to fill that role, but I think the Yankees will be looking to do whatever they can to get Santana or someone else. They'll have to give up at least one of those arms to do it, along with significant other talent, but they've been doing a good job of developing talent of late, so they've got the pieces to deal for a good, and not over the hill arm.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out, including what the Red Sox do at 3rd base now - I think Theo will stand pretty firm on the offer to Lowell, so if he wants to be a Red Sox, he can be one, but it will be a sacrifice on his part, as he'll get significantly more money elsewhere.
    agree pretty much all the way around. the lowell signing would not be a prudent move by the yankees. also, dont underestimate hughes - he has #1 stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    i think i heard he also got ~10 million dollars on opting out of his old contract. Additionally, are there any additional incentives in this K? I was half listening to sportscenter and I thought I heard there might be some incentive based escalators in there.
    Someone on ESPN this morning said something about an incentive linked to his potential breaking of Bonds' home run (non-)record.

Also, I agree with whoever said the Yankees still aren't demonstrably improved. Clemens or no, their pitching still basically sucks butt. And FWIW, many of the folks who talk about this stuff for a living agree.

So does this get Texas off the hook with their money obligations to ARod in the previous contract?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    So does this get Texas off the hook with their money obligations to ARod in the previous contract?
    Yessssssssss.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I do think they are expecting that and as a Yankee fan who has watched every game in which those three have pitched, I am extremely confident that all three will be front-line All-Star caliber pitchers. Chamberlain was obviously dominant in a relief role but he was equally dominant as a starter at each level in the minors. Kennedy was outstanding in every game he started and Hughes started out nearly pitching a no-hitter before getting injured and then pitching extremely well in September. I actually think the Yankees would have been better off starting Hughes or Kennedy than Clemens in the playoffs. The thing that is amazing about them is how poised each one is and how well they handled pitching in New York in the midst of a pennant race. I actually would hate to see one of them go for Santana, but it's hard to pass up one of the best pitchers in baseball - a lefty in Yankee Stadium no less. I think Pettite will come back and between him, the three young guys and Wang, they would have the most complete rotation in the American League. They also have a number of other young guys who have showed promise - Clippard, Karstens, DeSalvo - and additional strong talent in the minors.
    Chamberlain's minor league starts consist of 1 start at AAA Scranton-Wilkes Barre, and a grand total of 7 at AA Trenton. His 1 AAA start went very well, I seem to recall his line being something like 1 ER and 10 Ks in 5 IP(though I might be wrong on that). His AA starts were fine, but not knock your socks of stuff. He had a mid to upper 3s ERA. Again, not bad, but not something that has clear #1 Ace written all over it.

Kennedy has a little more of a track record, but its still not exactly a set I feel comfortable projecting from. 3 major league starts, 6 at AAA, and 9 at AAA. And his numbers for his starts were more impressive than Chamberlain's, so I do feel more comfortable projecting him to be a #2/3 starter.

Hughes had 13 major league starts, but wasn't exactly overwhelming posting a 4.46 ERA. Not bad or anything, but for comparison I'd say Lester for the Sox appears a better prospect(is that the right word for guys already playing in the majors?), since he basically has the same numbers, but was coming off the whole chemo thing. And hey, if you want to continue comparing, I'll take Buchholz's performance over Kennedy anytime(both with 3 starts, the whole no-hitter with a better ERA and all). But in both cases I think its just too early to tell how they'll be as a full season guy.

Baseball is littered with guys projected to be the up and coming staff ace who were out of baseball within 5 years. Maybe the Yankees are fortunate and all 3 turn out, but relying on that to happen seems well, desperate for a team with the Yankees resources. If the Yankees were willing to say that 2008 and perhaps 2009 aren't going to be their years, but that they will be dominant in 2010 and beyond, I think the Yankees could do that and get it done(with the talent that's percolating up, and the money coming off the books in the next 2 years), but I don't think the organization is willing to not go for it each and every year. And with how things are right now, I don't see them as any more of a threat to the Red Sox next year as they were this year.

Yankees

As a lifelong Yankee fan, I can't say I'm thrilled by the A-Rod signing. Great player, but he ties up a lot of money and I'd rather see that money go to a pitcher or to Cabrera, who is a lot younger (although he does seem to have a bit of a weight problem).

But for all those saying the Yankees haven't done anything to get better ... well, I'd suggested that it's just November and there will be quite a few more moves before the first pitch next season. The first order of business is to lock up the returning talent -- Posada, Rivera and Pettite are the big three free agents ... and even if the Yankees did overpay (especially in terms of length of contract), they apparently nailed the first two and (according to the ESPN talking heads) are likely to keep Pettite too.

Seriously, getting Posada resigned was huge -- I know he's getting old and probably won't hold out for the length of his new contract, but he's coming off his best year at the plate and there's not another catcher close to him in the system (or on the free agent market). As for Rivera, if he had walked, we'd have had to make Chamberlain the closer and the hope is that he'll be a stud starter.

I'll be interested to see what the Yanks do to shore up their starting staff -- I know they have dreams of getting Santana (and with one more year on his contract before he walks, the Twins are receptive to a trade), but it will almost certainly cost one of the big three young arms (Hughes, Kennedy, Chamberlain).

Not a lot of free agent arms out there ... based on past Yankee history, you'd think they'd sign Tom Glavine (in keeping with their recent theme of signing great pitchers a year too late -- as in Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson and most recently Roger Clemens ... personally, I think Glavine just had his last quality year and even that involved his blowup in the crucial final game). Also curious to know what's going on with Jared Wright and Carl Pavano, two big-money hires who broke down, but have actually shown some promise in coming back over the last year. I honestly don't know where they stand.

Mussina was on-and-off last season, but I'm not sure he's done. We do have one solid, proven young starter in Wong (two straight 18-win seasons).

So today, our rotation looks like:
    No. 1 Wong (although he should be a No. 2 starter)
    No. 2-4 Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy (all three are top flight prospects -- okay, here's my theory: one of the three will emerge as an all-star quality pitcher; one of the three will become an average run-of-the-mill starter; one of the three will be a bust or get hurt -- just don't ask me which is which)
    No. 5 Mussina

Possibilities: Pettite, Clippard, DeSalvo (I'd like to see them as setup men in the bullpen); Wright? Pavano?

At any rate, it's not over. And last year's team did come heartbreakingly close to overcoming a devastating start (thanks to an incredible slew of injuries). I love our everyday lineup ... if we add a couple of proven arms, I'll be fine.

The prospect of the Yankees signing Lowell to play first base leaves me cold, but it would be better than signing him to play third. Anybody else think Lowell in 2007 is the Johnny Damon of 2004? (A very good player having a craeer year to help the Red Sox win a title, then signing with the Yankees on the downside of his career???)

To me as a Yankee fan, the only negative this off-season has been the swap at manager. I don't have a problem with the Girardi hire, but I hate losing Torre -- I thought he was the best possible man to run the Steinbrenner zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yessssssssss.
    Huh. So ARod got very little raise (percentage-wise) and the NYY got to foot a portion of the bill they wouldn't otherwise have had to foot. Everybody wins.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Huh. So ARod got very little raise (percentage-wise) and the NYY got to foot a portion of the bill they wouldn't otherwise have had to foot. Everybody wins.
    A-Rod messed this up pretty bad. He cost the yankees 27 million (by opting out they lose the TX money). This was translated into a lower contract. He basically cost himself that money by opting out, thinking 20 other teams would come to him. Which they didn't.

The Yankees seem to have bid against themselves here -- no one else was offering similar years or money.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    Actually can't do this anymore. MLB no longer allows team-based incentives.
    If that's true I'll bet it is b/c of the ever-helpful MLBPA.