Thread: Project Runway!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Project Runway!

It's back and I couldn't be happier. Life is much better with a little Tim Gunn in it.

If only the Wildcats could have scored 5 more points last night would have been perfect.

What? No takers on a discussion? OK, I'll start. I'm glad Elisa is still around because I want to see the crazy. She seems more likeably crazy than some of the past crazies although that could change in an instant. Rub that fabric in the grass, girl!

Simone deservedly sent home, that dress was an ill-fitting badly sewn mess. Simone Le Blanc. I thought, really? You're going with that? Are we supposed to believe it's your real name? I figured she wasn't long for the competition but I'm sorry about that because she seemed less diva like and you always need one that's going to help everybody else keep it together. Jillian is going to grate, I can already tell and I hated that coral poof skirt number, well I liked the color, but still shades of Angela.

I loved Jack's dress, the black and white with a touch of blue, yummy. Rami's winning dress was beautifully draped but I hated the color and I have to say, that model didn't do him any favors. I think this season more than ever before the models really seem to be amateurs.

Am I the only one around here who watches PR? I know I'm the only one who follows figure skating but PR too? I feel so alone.

Not alone

Oh your never alone,
    My daughter and I watch every week. Personally, I thought Rami's dress was predictable, I've seen the same thing on red carpets for a few years. Elisa will stay for a few weeks. If she were really that spiritual she wouldn't be in a televised competition, now would she. I liked Chris right off. Hope he can design.

Since I KNOW there's a burning desire to be updated on the goings on at Project Runway . . . this past week fashion icon Sarah Jessica Parker was the guest judge. Contestants were challenged to design a two-piece outfit with a total budget of $15! There were a couple of nice looking outfits but the Pocahantas inspired ill-fitting brown burlap poncho designed by Marion was the loser. Again, the right decision but I kind of liked Marion (a guy from Texas! pronounced MARion). Oh well. The winning design, not my favorite but it did look great considering the $15 budget. I'm just not that into flowers tied around my neck. Victorya seems to be doging criticisms for her flowers because she's two for two with them now. I don't see how there are all that different from fleurchons (Season 3 reference for you newbies.)

Me three for being a Project Runway and Tim Gunn fan; I just usually end up watching the show 3-5 days after airs (have to find time to watch when the husband's not around.)

A couple thoughts --

Hippy chick is clearly still around after the first show, due to being a 'producer's favorite.' Question is, will she turn out to be a Malan (sp? crazy international guy) and gone in the next couple challenges, or a Santino, and make it to Bryant Park?

All the designers seem to be of a much higher caliber, from top to bottom, than Season 1 or 2. That will make it much more difficult for any one to stand out consistently. I think some decisions really will come down to a question of style as ruled on by the judges, rather than a more objective measure of design, sewing, following the rules, etc. This happened on the most recent season of Top Chef too.

Overall, the first 3-4 episodes I don't enjoy as much, because everybody's interactions are so overedited, and the show is much more formulaic, to fit in everything in an hour. As the pool of designers get smaller, we get to know more of each of them, and that's when it gets fun to watch.

Ok, Ok, Ok, you got me. I watch it with my wife. While I could easily say that, as perhaps the only male willing to admit it, I just watch it for Heidi, I am actually intrigued by the social interactions and the design creativity. As an attorney on the other side of the left brain-right brain scale, I must admit that the creativity is really interesting and fun to watch.

I missed the first season, but became a fan in Season 2. Maybe this is politically incorrect, but it seems that this season has many more homosexuals than last year. I'm not a homophobe, but the show is just more enjoyable to me if there are more than one or two straight males added to the mix. Granted, I'm certainly NOT the target audience, and maybe it's hard to find straight males who are talented at designing clothes, but the show seemed more fun to watch last year when there was a greater variety of contestants.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I'm enjoying it more this year for one simple reason, no Jeffrey. I could not stand that guy. I know it was probably editing that made me dislike him so much but how he made it through after some of the atrocities he put on the runway (the mothers, that god awful Madonna look, the first challenge, ew). Then when he actually won I was flabbergasted. Yes, he had a couple of amazing looks in his Bryant Park show and yes, he had an interesting theme, but he sent the single worst dress in any collection (an ill-fitting blue monstrosity) down the runway and I still can't believe he won. Yuck! This year, although I find a couple of them annoying already, it won't upset me to see anyone of them win. They all seem to just be better at making clothes this year.

Which brings me to a short recap of last night's episode. I always feel bad for the designers who get sent home on a menswear challenge. Making clothes for men is quite different, it takes longer, and if you don't have experience it's really hard. I don't sew but I do knit and men's sweaters are a different breed (and they take twice as long to knit). You can't just slap a halter dress in a great fabric on a guy. Three pieces! Those designers should have been given three days, really, one piece a day. I know some got it done but none of the looks came across as truly finished. And even the winner had planned a jacket, give him one more day to finish it! I would have loved to have seen Jack's jacket. Poor Carmen. And you know, this was the time for a team challenge instead of last week, two women's sportswear pieces is, timewise, a lot easier than three men's pieces.

That said, I agree with the winner, I like Jack's the best by far, it was interesting and fun and just a bit different. I liked Kevin's too but it would have looked nicer with the originally planned jacket. See, even the winners ran out of time. Boo, PR, not a good challenge.

Don't feel bad about hating Jeffrey. Apparently, after he won last year he dumped his girlfriend pretty darn quick. Guess he didn't need her anymore to make him look human on TV. I agree that a lot of the contestants seem to be well-skilled. But as one of them said, he'd done a lot of designing, but not much making. Last night I loved Heidi's comments about Tiki Barber's butt!

Hey Boston, please put Spoiler Alerts in your posts! I TIVO'd the show last night when I read your post. Many thanks!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Sorry Rich. Will do in the future.