Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SI and perception about the declining strength of Duke's program

I received my SI college hoops preview issue yesterday and each capsule of their top 20 preseason teams (Duke is #12) contains an analysis of the non conference schedule. My interest is not in their analysis of our schedule, which has been discussed recently on this board, but on a comment attached to that assessment...see below:

"Indiana and Michigan State are tops in the Big Ten; the Blue Devils get Wisconsin in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Georgetown and Louisville are Big East powers; Duke will play Pitt and St. John's. There's no must-see TV here, just more fodder for those who believe this It program is slipping."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...orts/duke.html

WOW - that's a pretty strong statement. I am assuming last year's performance and losing out on Greg Monroe are fueling speculation that we are in decline? I haven't seen that much discussion that we are slipping...is SI just trying to stir things up here?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I received my SI college hoops preview issue yesterday and each capsule of their top 20 preseason teams (Duke is #12) contains an analysis of the non conference schedule. My interest is not in their analysis of our schedule, which has been discussed recently on this board, but on a comment attached to that assessment...see below:

"Indiana and Michigan State are tops in the Big Ten; the Blue Devils get Wisconsin in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Georgetown and Louisville are Big East powers; Duke will play Pitt and St. John's. There's no must-see TV here, just more fodder for those who believe this It program is slipping."

WOW - that's a pretty strong statement. I am assuming last year's performance and losing out on Greg Monroe are fueling speculation that we are in decline? I haven't seen that much discussion that we are slipping...is SI just trying to stir things up here?
    I heard Steve Shapiro (sp) on Atlanta's 790 The Zone say something to the same effect this morning. Something like, "...and Duke will be in the top tier of the ACC but certainly not as loaded as they have been in the past....that program may be in decline."

Idiots. Fools. Let them believe that way. We benefit from it. It's certainly not true. Duke just went through a transitional period last year. With Duke's coaching and recruiting talent, those looking for or predicting a Duke death or decline will be greatly dissapointed.

-EarlJam

P.S. I usually down play expectations for the season. Not this year. This team will be much, much better than most people currently believe.

I don't agree with people saying the program is on the decline; first, it's way too early to say that (we were in the Final 4 just three years ago), and two, it's just a way for fans to try and dismiss Duke because they're tired of seeing the program succeed. Saying Duke is on the decline is a Duke hater's way of trying to make last season live on forever. It won't.

That being said, I have been a huge critic of our schedule since it was released. I didn't like last year's schedule and I like this one even less. The Pitt and Wisconsin games are a year late (though the Wisconsin game isn't Duke's fault), and we really do lack a big-time out of conference game. There's really no way around it. Losing out on Patterson and Monroe definitely didn't help either, especially the fact that Monroe didn't even visit. It also doesn't help that while the program hasn't been as strong as before the past over the past few years, Carolina has emerged from the Doherty era as the hottest college basketball program in the country.

Stuff like that (right or wrong), does perpetuate the "Duke is on the decline" talk. And that's what the SI guy said; he didn't say he personally believed the program was on the decline, he just said that this invigorates those that do think that. And I wholeheartedly agree.

I say bring it on (it being the media hype around the supposed "Duke decline"). Last year's barrage of criticism and grave dancing (along with the very positive Team USA experience) seems to have really motivated K, and he and the team appear to be entering the season with pretty large chips on their shoulders and determination to prove the detractors wrong. Things like the SI article only add fuel to that fire IMHO.

And if you've seen the print edition, that isn't Billy Dat's typo-it's exactly like that in the magazine.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    And if you've seen the print edition, that isn't Billy Dat's typo-it's exactly like that in the magazine.
    What typo?

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    What typo?
    ra cheer:

There's no must-see TV here, just more fodder for those who believe this It program is slipping."

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Any rumor of a Duke decline is merely wishful thinking the haters. Sure we went a whole season without being ranked #1, but our freshman and sophomore classes hardly scream "program in decline".

I'm pretty sure they're using "It program" like "It girl."

It's sorta confusing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    Any rumor of a Duke decline is merely wishful thinking the haters. Sure we went a whole season without being ranked #1, but our freshman and sophomore classes hardly scream "program in decline".
    Yeah, I was looking at last year's polls and noticed that we were #5 nine weeks into the season (January). The season really took a turn for the worse, but we did beat the Georgetown team that knocked off UNC. I believe they were at full strength (injury-wise), though they hadn't really hit their stride yet.

Oh I see, good call.

In which case, it's even more of a dig on Duke. You can't be an It girl for over two decades, can you? Maryland in the early 00s seems more It girlish.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

I have a different theory.

The SI writer who more than likely hates Duke was screwing around when he was typing the article and wrote, "...thinks this sh*t program is slipping."

Of course knowing better, he then went to delete the "sh*t" word but missed the "it." He submitted it to his editor and the typo was never caught.

Or better yet, maybe it's an inside joke with the SI people. Those on the "inside" left it there on purpose to leave the "S" word in the copy in a more subtle fashion.

-EarlJam

P.S. Oh yeah and JFK? I DID IT!!!!

Jay?

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Carolina has emerged from the Doherty era as the hottest college basketball program in the country.
    Aside from that school down south that just won 2 consecutive NCAA titles. Is this yet another post from Jay Bilas?
    Last edited by -jk; 11-15-2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Jay works for the Mouse, not for the CNN.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    You can't be an It girl for over two decades, can you?
    I think the closest anyone came was Raquel Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I think the closest anyone came was Raquel Welsh.
    Leonardo DiCaprio may be giving her a run.

This begs for some sort of off-topic poll, hmmm.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

And here I thought Micheal Jackson was the IT girl.

Slipping Tipping Point

Not to go all Malcolm Gladwell on the board, but for SI to publish a statement like they did points to a new anti-Duke tipping point. People have hated Duke for years, but rarely have respected national publications chosen to try and highlight that we are slipping. One mediocre year and a couple of recruiting losses and suddenly we are slipping? I don't remember a lot of "UNC has lost it" talk after 8-20, and I am not hearing a lot of similar UConn talk after last year. We ARE ranked in the top 10. Trust me, I am not losing any sleep - it's just curious. If anything, I think that recruits watching our up-tempo style this year will salivate (which is why we better keep it up). K is taking more then one tip from D'Antoni - not only is Phoenix fun to watch, but guys want to go and play there (could also have something to so with Steve Nash). This style should help recruiting, which will keep us IT.

We ARE ranked in the top 10.
    Good post and agreed.

Also, we will be ranked in the top three when Duke first plays UNC.

This is a very, very, very good Duke team.

-EarlJam
    Last edited by -jk; 11-15-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

We have a very good team that will excite recruits. We are looking very good with 2 outstanding recruits in 09 and good (as far as I know) with others in the class. No need to be worried, but its needless bad press.