Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Star Trek Question

On the episode where Kirk faced off against Lord Garth, and Garth turned himself into an image of Kirk then tried to beam up to the Enterprise but couldn't because he didn't know the proper response to "Kings to Queens Level Four," well, why did Kirk and company initiate that little plan anyway?

I can't recall even one other occassion where Kirk or anyone else instructed members of the bridge to request a response to "Kings to Queens level Four" before beaming up to the ship.

But on this certain mission, for whatever reason, they just had the good fortune to decide to implement this little tactic. It worked, and I'm glad. Otherwise, Garth would have taken over the Enterprise, Kirk would have been stuck on the planet with the green chick (no wait, Garth blew her up) and all hell would have broken lose.

Anyone have any insight why that particular command was given for that particular mission?

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    On the episode where Kirk faced off against Lord Garth, and Garth turned himself into an image of Kirk then tried to beam up to the Enterprise but couldn't because he didn't know the proper response to "Kings to Queens Level Four," well, why did Kirk and company initiate that little plan anyway?

I can't recall even one other occassion where Kirk or anyone else instructed members of the bridge to request a response to "Kings to Queens level Four" before beaming up to the ship.

But on this certain mission, for whatever reason, they just had the good fortune to decide to implement this little tactic. It worked, and I'm glad. Otherwise, Garth would have taken over the Enterprise, Kirk would have been stuck on the planet with the green chick (no wait, Garth blew her up) and all hell would have broken lose.

Anyone have any insight why that particular command was given for that particular mission?

-EarlJam
    I would think that Kirk must have known *beforehand* that Garth was going to pose as him, thus the command to ensure that only the genuine Kirk would be beamed aboard.

How did he know? Given his legendary Academy antics with the Kobayashi Maru scenario, methinks the Captain stole a copy of the script!

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    I would think that Kirk must have known *beforehand* that Garth was going to pose as him, thus the command to ensure that only the genuine Kirk would be beamed aboard.

How did he know? Given his legendary Academy antics with the Kobayashi Maru scenario, methinks the Captain stole a copy of the script!
    Thanks Shammrog. Quick follow-up: Was Kirk aware that Garth possessed this ability? I know they spent some time together at the academy, so perhaps Kirk new how the mind of Garth would work and hence, gave the command. I mean, Garth WAS brilliant, if misguided, not like the Gorn (who got his reptilian arse kicked by Kirk) who had to rely mostly on physical prowess.

But if memory serves, Kirk and his landing party thought Garth was "on the level" when they beamed down. In fact, Kirk was really talking Garth up just prior to beaming down. They were baskically making a pit-stop, right?

Something here just doesn't add up. Like you said, maybe Kirk just stole the script.

-EarlJam

Thanks Shammrog. Quick follow-up: Was Kirk aware that Garth possessed this ability? I know they spent some time together at the academy, so perhaps Kirk new how the mind of Garth would work and hence, gave the command. I mean, Garth WAS brilliant, if misguided, not like the Gorn (who got his reptilian arse kicked by Kirk) who had to rely mostly on physical prowess.

But if memory serves, Kirk and his landing party thought Garth was "on the level" when they beamed down. In fact, Kirk was really talking Garth up just prior to beaming down. They were baskically making a pit-stop, right?

Something here just doesn't add up. Like you said, maybe Kirk just stole the script.

-EarlJam
    I am sticking with the script-stealing theory. He hid it under his hairpiece.

I am sticking with the script-stealing theory. He hid it under his hairpiece.
    Kirk wouldn't steal. He had too much integrity for that. Are you being serious? And what's with the "hairpiece" comment? I get the feeling you are making fun of Captain Kirk. That's not cool man.

-EarlJam

Kirk wouldn't steal. He had too much integrity for that. Are you being serious? And what's with the "hairpiece" comment? I get the feeling you are making fun of Captain Kirk. That's not cool man.

-EarlJam
    Just kidding. I am an avowed TNG fan. But I love William Shatner. And, he supposedly - ahem - "dated" Heather Locklear.

he supposedly - ahem - "dated" Heather Locklear.
    You sure it was "dated" and not "baby sat"?
    But then again, younger chicks usually dig older guys anyway, so it would stand to reason either way.

-EarlJam
    My only theory to this would be, in Kirk's infinite wisdom, he saw it coming.
    Maybe he was more like Garth than Garth of him.
    But I suggest all the same, he knew it was coming. How so?
    Just the same way as there always seems to be a new crewman at the beginning of the show and you knew he or she was gonna die by the half hour mark!

So then with that my only question is, What IS the proper response to "Kings to Queens Level Four"??????

You've forgotten one key component.

-EarlJam
    In this particular episode the Enterprise was visiting a Penal Colony (That's a prison EJ, not the other thing but, that green chick was smokin' hot!).

The planet that hosted the prison was completely uninhabitable and the prison itself was protected from the environment by some type of dome shield. Anyone who escaped onto the planet would die within moments (i.e. the green chick prior to Garth blowing her to bits). Thus the only practical escape would be by transporter to a spaceship. Therefore, the command was issued in the event of an escape attempt.

There were other episodes where Kirk issued just such an order but, right now, they titles escape me.

I think it is more basic than he stole the script. I think he READ the script before they shot the scene.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    In this particular episode the Enterprise was visiting a Penal Colony (That's a prison EJ, not the other thing but, that green chick was smokin' hot!).

The planet that hosted the prison was completely uninhabitable and the prison itself was protected from the environment by some type of dome shield. Anyone who escaped onto the planet would die within moments (i.e. the green chick prior to Garth blowing her to bits). Thus the only practical escape would be by transporter to a spaceship. Therefore, the command was issued in the event of an escape attempt.

There were other episodes where Kirk issued just such an order but, right now, they titles escape me.
    Awesome, thanks!

I loved the reaction of the Enterprise crew to the explosion that blew the green chick to pieces. You could see the explosion. It was no bigger than Nissan Maxima. Big enough to completely destroy the green chick, but not that big overall. The crew's reaction was one similar to, "Sweet Jesus in a chicken basket! Did you see the size of that explosion! It must of wiped out everything!"

Somewhat of an overreation in my opinion coming from a crew that had faced The Doomsday Machine, along with Commodore Decker, God rest his soul.

-EarlJam

No problem EJ, glad to be of service.

Awesome, thanks!

I loved the reaction of the Enterprise crew to the explosion that blew the green chick to pieces. You could see the explosion. It was no bigger than Nissan Maxima. Big enough to completely destroy the green chick, but not that big overall. The crew's reaction was one similar to, "Sweet Jesus in a chicken basket! Did you see the size of that explosion! It must of wiped everything out!"

Somewhat of an overreation in my opinion coming from a crew that had faced The Doomsday Machine, along with Commodore Decker, God rest his soul.

-EarlJam
    Yeah, the explosion was something. IIRC, the issue at hand was that someone had developed a new "super" explosive and ol' Garth baby, that crazy f*&k, decided to demonstrate it on his unfaithful, green hottie.

Wasn't it in/on her necklace or something?

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Yeah, the explosion was something. IIRC, the issue at hand was that someone had developed a new "super" explosive and ol' Garth baby, that crazy f*&k, decided to demonstrate it on his unfaithful, green hottie.

Wasn't it in/on her necklace or something?
    Yeah. On her neck. And he made Kirk watch. Cruel, sick bastard.

I AM LORD GARTH!!!!

I think it was mighty big of Kirk to help Garth get back to "normal" after what he did.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I think it is more basic than he stole the script. I think he READ the script before they shot the scene.
    Heather Locklear read it to him. In the sack.

Here's a question: What was one of your all-time least favorite Star Trek (Kirk version) episodes?

For me, it was the one with the dudes that had the black and white faces. I know Rodenberry was making a statement on bigotry and racism, but still, that episode sucked.

-EarlJam

Heather Locklear read it to him. In the sack.
    Word play:

Heather Locklear, while on his sack, read it to him.

-EarlJam

the gangster episode.

The worst...

...was called "The Conscience of the King".

It was the one with the traveling troupe of actors and Kirk suspected the leader of the troupe was the genocidal govenor of some planet from which Kirk had barely escaped.

It was (in best Bill Walton voice) h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e!

Fans often list "The Trouble with Tribbles" as one of their favorite episodes.

I hated it. H-A-T-E-D it.

-EJ

Agreed.

Fans often list "The Trouble with Tribbles" as one of their favorite episodes.

I hated it. H-A-T-E-D it.

-EJ
    Very stupid episode.