Rennie's retiring very soon, hire Bruce Arena!

Forget football, mens soccer coach John Rennie won Duke's first national championship and is retiring soon at the end of this season. Bruce Arena won 5 national titles with UVA, 3 championships with DC United, and has the most wins of any USA national team coach. He recently left New York Red Bulls with 2 years left on his contract after 16-16-10 record. Duke has the most potential in the nation in college soccer and best recruiting draw with its academics and ACC is the best in soccer. It's time for Arena to get back to his glory days in college soccer. If he won't come, Wake Forest's coach has been #1 recently for a while, what other coaches can win championships for Duke mens soccer?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
    Forget football, mens soccer coach John Rennie won Duke's first national championship and is retiring soon at the end of this season. Bruce Arena won 5 national titles with UVA, 3 championships with DC United, and has the most wins of any USA national team coach. He recently left New York Red Bulls with 2 years left on his contract after 16-16-10 record. Duke has the most potential in the nation in college soccer and best recruiting draw with its academics and ACC is the best in soccer. It's time for Arena to get back to his glory days in college soccer. If he won't come, Wake Forest's coach has been #1 recently for a while, what other coaches can win championships for Duke mens soccer?
    Dunno much about the soccer coaching world, but I second the Bruce Arena rec. He'd be an excellent hire for the team and exciting for the university in general. Does anybody know of the potential of this actually happening?

long-shot

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Dunno much about the soccer coaching world, but I second the Bruce Arena rec. He'd be an excellent hire for the team and exciting for the university in general. Does anybody know of the potential of this actually happening?
    I'd be really surprised if Duke could get him. After the 2006 World Cup he was a top candidate for many national team jobs. One typically doesn't go from that to the NCAA. That said, he was just let go by the NY Red Bulls so if it were going to happen now would be the time.

Duke has perhaps the most qualified assistant coach in the country.

I would be absolutely stunned if said assistant coach wasn't the next head coach of the Duke soccer team.

There's no way Duke could get Arena. His resume is way too strong for him to go back to coaching college kids.

I would be shocked if Duke's next head coach doesn't come from within the Duke family. Smart money says that Duke will hire either current associate head coach Mike Jeffries (former player of the year at Duke, head coach on both college and MLS levels) or current Harvard head coach John Kerr (also former player of the year at Duke). Either of these guys could win national titles at Duke.

My personal choice would be Tim Vom Steeg at defending national champion UCSB, but I don't think he would leave his alma mater to come to Duke. But I do think any coach would have to at least consider a head coaching job in the ACC as it is by far the premiere conference for college soccer.

Didn't the LA Galaxy, with a small investment in an International player, just let go of its coach? Hmmm.

Everyone assumes that Krzyzewski's replacement will come from within the family.

I think the assumption is even stronger for Rennie's replacement.

JD's gonna coach the soccer team!!

Associate head coach Mike Jeffries isn't the answer, he took the Dallas Burn backwards and to their worst record in franchise history: overall 23-36-16 record (4-16-4 record in 2003 when he was fired). Alleva's hire in womens soccer took that program backwards too from the previous coach Hempen who took Duke to the national championship game a few years after starting the program from nothing. Duke didn't do too well with Jeffries and Rennie this year, started the season ranked #2 and will probably finish unranked with first round losses in both the ACC and NCAA tournaments. For those who don't know Duke's great soccer history, Duke should be winning championships not getting bounced in the first round. Duke is the best job by far in college soccer in the best conference with the best academics and recruiting ability. Wake, UConn, Santa Clara, Brown, SMU, are the top 5 teams, each of their coaches should be easy to get for Duke:

http://www.nscaa.com/seniorRes.php?it=672

http://www.soccerratings.com/index.p...Soccer_Ratings

Hire Tarintini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is easily the most entertaining coach in the ACC. I remember one game when they were playing Duke...

A state player came in and slid and took one of Rennie's players down, he was hurt right inbetween the two benches around half field... Rennie yells,"Thats not a card?!?!?? The guy broke his leg!!!!"

Tarintini replies "What? Excuse me, what are you?!?!? A Doctor??!?!"

another fond memory of Tarintini... at NC State vs. Clemson I believe about 5-6 years ago or something like that...

he was yelling at his right mid-fielder non stop during the first half of the game... on this players *** so bad I thought the guy was going to break down. Before I realized he was gone, all the sudden over the PA you hear

"There will be a substitution, Thank God, for # 14. # 14 would you please exit the field immediatly and have a seat on the bench."

and then finally, I remember when he was kicked out of a game once for yelling at his own team by the referee. I was sitting in the corner stands, and I see him sneak around the bleachers in front of me and climb up into one of those trees state has placed around their soccer field. All the sudden when one of his players got near the tree, you hear George's voice comming strangely from a tree directed at his own player," YOU SUCK, you are horrible, you call that football?" etc...

yeah, he isn't the classiest coach out there but he is emotional and he knows his stuff. of course the reccomendation to coach at Duke is satire, but just thinking about all the ACC soccer I used to watch brought back those memories and I thought I would take the opportunity to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    There's no way Duke could get Arena. His resume is way too strong for him to go back to coaching college kids.

I would be shocked if Duke's next head coach doesn't come from within the Duke family. Smart money says that Duke will hire either current associate head coach Mike Jeffries (former player of the year at Duke, head coach on both college and MLS levels) or current Harvard head coach John Kerr (also former player of the year at Duke). Either of these guys could win national titles at Duke.

My personal choice would be Tim Vom Steeg at defending national champion UCSB, but I don't think he would leave his alma mater to come to Duke. But I do think any coach would have to at least consider a head coaching job in the ACC as it is by far the premiere conference for college soccer.
    Vom Steeg has done a fantastic job with the Gauchos, but my God, they play butt-ugly soccer.

If we're going outside the Duke "family" for a new coach, I think we would do well to take a long look at one of Arena's former players at UVa and DC United, and a former assistant to Arena at Red Bull -- Richie Williams. God, I hated that little pest as an opposing player, but he knows the game and I suspect that he will be really good at motivating college players. Only question is whether he can recruit, and as many others have noted, recruiting soccer players to Duke is not the hardest thing in the world to do.