Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Separate Postseason Basketball Tournament

One could probably see this coming after the NCAA took over the NIT and cut the number of teams from 40 to 32. The Post reports that there will be a separate 16-team postseason event. I wonder whether there will be competition for teams between this tourney and the NIT.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111402156.html

gw67

I have always wanted to know who the 98th best team in the country was.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    One could probably see this coming after the NCAA took over the NIT and cut the number of teams from 40 to 32. The Post reports that there will be a separate 16-team postseason event. I wonder whether there will be competition for teams between this tourney and the NIT.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111402156.html

gw67

I saw this scrolling across the screen last night during the UNC-Davidson game. Who's playing in this thing? I mean honestly... are they going to throw a ton of loot out there to get teams to play in this Invitational over the NIT?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    I saw this scrolling across the screen last night during the UNC-Davidson game. Who's playing in this thing? I mean honestly... are they going to throw a ton of loot out there to get teams to play in this Invitational over the NIT?
    My question exactly...I mean, they don't exactly get a lot of mileage out of the "Who got snubbed?" portion of the NIT selecion show, do they?
    I would love to hear the official explanation of this tournament. Fan interest, it seems, will be terribly slim, tempering the usual "$$$" rationale.
    Why, oh why do we need this?

Are we sure this didn't come from The Onion?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Fan interest, it seems, will be terribly slim, tempering the usual "$$$" rationale.
    Why, oh why do we need this?
    Maybe it will be some kind of fusion between basketball and American Gladiators, with trap doors that open randomly on the court and pillars of fire that shoot from ceiling downward, scorching any and all in its path.

If they added elements such as those, I'd watch it.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Maybe it will be some kind of fusion between basketball and American Gladiators, with trap doors that open randomly on the court and pillars of fire that shoot from ceiling downward, scorching any and all in its path.

-EarlJam
    Holy crap, that would be awesome. I would pay a lot of money to watch Wichita State vs. Nitro. The "Assault" event would have to be involved though...that one was always clearly the best.

If you want a good idea, have a 16 team -- or maybe just 8 teams -- tourney that is done with the teams that lose in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tourney. All those clubs that got upset but have high profile players and programs would jump at this.

It would sorta be like a "losers bracket" for the NCAA tourney. That is a great ide!!

--Jason "hmmm, maybe I need to look into this" Evans
    Last edited by JBDuke; 11-15-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: having to fix typos of a journalism professional is just so sad...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If you want a good idea, have a 16 team -- or maybe just 8 teams -- tourney that is done with the teams that lose in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tourney. All those lcubs that got upset but have high profile players and programs would jump at this.

It would sorta be like a "losers bracket" for the NCAA tourney. That is a great ide!!

Would any post-season tourney be permitted by the NCAA - relating to the issue of limitation on # of games per season?

If you want a good idea, have a 16 team -- or maybe just 8 teams -- tourney that is done with the teams that lose in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tourney. All those lcubs that got upset but have high profile players and programs would jump at this.

That is a MUCH better idea than having teams #98 - #113 play...

If those mediocre teams play and no one watches, did the tournament ever happen?

No way man. You lose, you're done, period. I love that about the tournament. I don't want to see Kansas being rewarded for getting upset all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    No way man. You lose, you're done, period. I love that about the tournament. I don't want to see Kansas being rewarded for getting upset all the time.
    Favorite Chronicle headline of all-time:

Duke Kicks Kans-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

-EarlJam

-EarlJam
    did you ever play the old NES game "Arch Rivals"? . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Rivals

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post

Also, let's not forget the short-lived "Slamball" on TNN:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamball

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post

I didn't. Looks like fun though. Of all the sports to play as a video game, I find basketball to be the most difficult.

Of course the game you allude to is more about the shenanigans, and thus would be fun to play. I said shenanigans.

-EarlJamigans

Of course the game you allude to is more about the shenanigans, and thus would be fun to play. I said shenanigans.

-EarlJamigans
    With respect to a previous thread...that's a pretty good band name, no? The Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    With respect to a previous thread...that's a pretty good band name, no? The Shenanigans.
    Agreed, but it's already taken by this meddling group of Canadians:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=72799260

-EarlJam

Agreed, but it's already taken by this meddling group of Canadians:

-EarlJam
    We could've won a Grammy if it wasn't for those meddling Canadians.

Playing in Two Postseason Tournaments

This was even before my time but back in the early days of the NIT, it was viewed as a great opportunity to play at Madison Square Garden and I seem to recall reading that it was scheduled before the NCAA and that it was common for teams to play in both the NIT and NCAA.

The proposed 16-team tourney seems like a bad idea to me but I could see them competing against the NIT for teams.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    This was even before my time but back in the early days of the NIT, it was viewed as a great opportunity to play at Madison Square Garden and I seem to recall reading that it was scheduled before the NCAA and that it was common for teams to play in both the NIT and NCAA.

The proposed 16-team tourney seems like a bad idea to me but I could see them competing against the NIT for teams.

gw67
    So the NIT was the Golden Globes of basketball tournements?