Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

UNC vs. Davidson

UNC is not at the top of their game tonight. They have 9 turnovers I think, and Ty Lawson has picked up 3 fouls, only about 10 minutes into the game. Davidson is looking good!

Dav 19 vs. UNC 12. 9:11 first half.

Heels starting to take control now. They look pretty darn good on defense, and Hansbrough is starting to get Davidson into foul trouble.

Lets not jinx this okay? No "Potential upset brewing" posts unless a team is up by double digits please.

Also, davidson is a solid team with bad shooting right now. They will be a serious challenge for us to play. It's not a game we can take for granted.

Well, duh. When does Duke ever take a team for granted? Especially a solid tournament team like Davidson. That said, Davidson strikes me as perimeter-reliant, especially wrt outside-shooting, so Duke would seem to be a poor matchup for them.

If Davidson can start hitting their shots (they're right around 30% for the half IIRC), they can win this. Chapel Hill is shooting about 50%, so if they cool off a bit, anything can happen. Go Cats.

Right, I never said "potential upset brewing"; I just thought other people here might be interested in a game that features 1. two teams that we'll play, 2. two North Carolina teams, and 3. two teams that are really good. And UNC sure looked "off" in the first 10 minutes. I wouldn't be a Duke fan if that didn't make me crack a smile, at least!

And UNC has gotten a rhythm going by now, with Psycho T and Ellington leading the way. And Frasor is doing quite a nice job in Lawson's place. But it's still competitive, with the score 38-31 UNC at the half.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    If Davidson can start hitting their shots (they're right around 30% for the half IIRC), they can win this. Chapel Hill is shooting about 50%, so if they cool off a bit, anything can happen. Go Cats.
    UNC has a lot to do with that poor shooting percentage. Their ball pressure has been good which has caused Davidson to shoot out of rhythm. And I don't believe UNC shooting well is anomalous. Davidson seemed to get worn down towards the end of the half.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    Right, I never said "potential upset brewing"; I just thought other people here might be interested in a game
    Don't worry, I understood.

I'm watching now, has UNC tried to run much? Davidson thrives on the half court game, which is something Duke will try to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    I'm watching now, has UNC tried to run much? Davidson thrives on the half court game, which is something Duke will try to avoid.
    They have and when they have theyve gotten easy points. Still davidson has been good at slowing em down.

Yeah, UNC has pushed as usual. Davidson actually likes to run as well (they were really high in the national rankings in pace last season).

Davidson again has played better at the beginning of the half but I wonder if they'll wear down again towards the end of the half and get into foul trouble again via Hansbrough.

Right now UNC has an interesting lineup with Danny Green playing the 4. I suspect Duke will see some of that when we match up with them as well.

Huckleberry Hound is fuming.

No surprise this game is tight. Davidson is a legit tournament team who could go far. Curry is a total bad-^$%^$%^$%.

We should be very concerned about playing this team. This will be as tough a game as we have all year.

They're playing A LOT of Danny Green at the 4. This is Roy's adjustment for versatile forwards for this season.

My wife is watching Pushing Daisies. I encourage this behavior b/c I'm convinced if I tune in, Carolina will go on a 20-0 run.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Davidson is a team that could go something like 26-5 this year, and get a very scary 10 or 11 seed with a team that could make the Sweet 16 if they get the right draw.

UNC is obviously rusty at this point, and Hansbrough is the only guy on that team that has any inside presence at this point. Perhaps they're going to miss Brandan Wright more than they thought they would.

Stephen Curry can play some ball, every coach in the ACC missed the boat on him. I'd be shocked if he doesn't win the So-Con player of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    We should be very concerned about playing this team. This will be as tough a game as we have all year.
    Yeah, this has definitely convinced me that I have to see this game. I had been on the fence before because there's an event I am supposed to go to, and want to go to, on December 1, and I was trying to decide whether to just go to the morning half and skip the afternoon half so I can see the game. I feel kinda bad doing it, and people sometimes give me sort of a weird look when I say I'm skipping something for a basketball game, but . . . that should be a great game!

Tied at 52!

That's a good choice. Life ain't worth living if you can't do what you want to do. Watching bball is something I wanna do.

And Danny Green has basically played this entire 2nd half at the 4. The first sign that they might miss Brandan Wright a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    Davidson is a team that could go something like 26-5 this year, and get a very scary 10 or 11 seed with a team that could make the Sweet 16 if they get the right draw.

UNC is obviously rusty at this point, and Hansbrough is the only guy on that team that has any inside presence at this point. Perhaps they're going to miss Brandan Wright more than they thought they would.

Stephen Curry can play some ball, every coach in the ACC missed the boat on him. I'd be shocked if he doesn't win the So-Con player of the year.
    Davidson was a 13 last year, should have beaten Maryland in the Tourney, and has everyone back. I think they're much closer to being this year's Butler than a 10-11 seed (this has nothing to do with tonight's game -- I've felt this way about them since last year). Davidson will be ranked in the top-25 for much of this year, and could be looking at a seed as high as a 5 or a 6.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Just returned to the game to hear the commentators refer to a double foul on Psycho including a technical. Anyone see what happened?