View Poll Results: Would you like to see periodic updates to the DBR HPR?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

42 77.78%
  • no

12 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Updates to DBR HPR -- a poll

I'm coming under all sorts of attack for having compiled the pocket reference. I want to remind people that I wrote all drafts of that thing before J/B selected me to be a mod on the new board. There's a lot of misinformation going around that a moderator wrote that HPR, and that's not really true. I wasn't a mod when I wrote it, nor even when the most recent update occured, which was on James' software.

That said, I had planned to update the thing over this Thanksgiving.

I'm setting up a poll to see whether the community think I should do that. I see no sense in expending the effort if it's simply going to result in reprisal and acrimony.

Vote away.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Absolutely update it! It is VERY funny, and more often than not spot on

I don't think that any problem associated with the Guide is REALLY a problem with the Guide, per se; I think the only possible problems are when people take the guide to mean that an issue is dead.

throaty, I absolutely loved the HPR when you did it, because I saw it as your providing us with a gentle way of laughing at ourselves and with ourselves. As long as it's used in that spirit and not in an accusatory or condescending way, I say let's keep it and enjoy it. It is seriously clever.

Well I was about to suggest adding an update to cover this latest brouhaha... until i realized it has already been thoroughly cataloged! 14a,b,c,d,e,i,j!

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    throaty, I absolutely loved the HPR when you did it, because I saw it as your providing us with a gentle way of laughing at ourselves and with ourselves. As long as it's used in that spirit and not in an accusatory or condescending way, I say let's keep it and enjoy it. It is seriously clever.
    Agreed.

My main worry is that this is what the HPR is slowly evolving into. Many times, I see references to the HPR in a negative manner, rather than a fun-spirited manner.

When that happens, it seems that the HPR really just becomes a parody of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Agreed.

My main worry is that this is what the HPR is slowly evolving into. Many times, I see references to the HPR in a negative manner, rather than a fun-spirited manner.

When that happens, it seems that the HPR really just becomes a parody of itself.
    What "slowly evolving into?" I wrote 2/3 or the stupid thing on one night in Nov 2005. Since then it's undergone about 50 item additions, none since Jan 2007.

That's the ultimate reader-response theory there, Feld.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

I only say don't update it cuz it's fantastic as is.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    What "slowly evolving into?" I wrote 2/3 or the stupid thing on one night in Nov 2005. Since then it's undergone about 50 item additions, none since Jan 2007.

That's the ultimate reader-response theory there, Feld.
    It's use is slowly evolving into something other than what I understood its intent to be.

It was my impression that it started off as a funny way to say "Go To Hell Carolina" (9F) or sum up another poster's post with one letter and a number. To me, at times it has instead evolved into a way to criticize and belittle another poster's opinion without having to back up that criticism (ie, "Oh, here we go, another 5F")

I find the former amusing and clever. I find the latter contrary to the spirit of what we're currently being taught by the moderation team.

Hm, I think I am detecting some anti-Feldspar here.

Obviously he was not referring to the Guide itself changing; he was referring to the way the guide is referred to. I agree with his point.

Throaty-

I think the HPR is great but and I voted "Yes" but I have two comments:

1.) its pretty long already so maybe editing and updating would be good, but I think you should "cap it" so to speak.

2.) Please add a number/letter combo for "The mods are all egotistical dictators trying to take over the world"

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Throaty-

I think the HPR is great but and I voted "Yes" but I have two comments:

1.) its pretty long already so maybe editing and updating would be good, but I think you should "cap it" so to speak.

2.) Please add a number/letter combo for "The mods are all egotistical dictators trying to take over the world"
    1) Maybe at 200. Good idea. There are about 170some now. In the past, I deleted or refined some items.

2) Evidently.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Throaty-
    Throaty: See what happens when you stop off in Atlanta for a weekend!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I voted yes, if only b/c I'm wondering what Throaty can throw in this time around that would top 15d in terms of coffee-snarfing impact.

(15d - Sweet tap-dancing Moses, did you see what Sylvia Hatchell was wearing?)

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    It was my impression that it started off as a funny way to say "Go To Hell Carolina" (9F) or sum up another poster's post with one letter and a number. To me, at times it has instead evolved into a way to criticize and belittle another poster's opinion without having to back up that criticism (ie, "Oh, here we go, another 5F").
    I see it this way: it started as laughing at ourselves for our reptitiveness and also a funny way to say things like "Go to Hell Carolina". Then the newer posters kept getting peeved and saying "What's this code you old timers are using like 9F to make us new comers feel even more left out", so it had to be repeatedly re-posted then (on the new board) pinned. But pinning it makes it seem official and handed down from above, when really it's just supposed to be funny.

I say update it for sure, but maybe just remove the retired topics this time.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    I see it this way: it started as laughing at ourselves for our reptitiveness and also a funny way to say things like "Go to Hell Carolina". Then the newer posters kept getting peeved and saying "What's this code you old timers are using like 9F to make us new comers feel even more left out", so it had to be repeatedly re-posted then (on the new board) pinned. But pinning it makes it seem official and handed down from above, when really it's just supposed to be funny.

I say update it for sure, but maybe just remove the retired topics this time.
    Well said.

you wrote it....your call

It's really not my call. I've got Feldspar, Watzone, and a few other established posters savaging me. I meant it to be satire, originally, but people have construed it as malice, so I'm worried about anything I do with it.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    It's really not my call. I've got Feldspar, Watzone, and a few other established posters savaging me. I meant it to be satire, originally, but people have construed it as malice, so I'm worried about anything I do with it.
    Savaging?

You asked for our opinions, so I'm not sure what else you want from me.

And, frankly, if I wanted to be "savaging" I would have been banned again. My only desire is to make the board a better place.

You're being "savaged"? You're coming under "all sorts of attack"? Really? What sorts of attack would these be? Air strikes, hit-and-run ambushes, nuclear bombs? I think you need to calm down with the hyperbole.

Thumbs up Hpr

Heck yes! Update it.

I love it when the newbies post asking "what is this 9F you keep referring to?" That's when most of them discover the thing!

When you google "Throaties handy pocket reference" now, here are the first two links that come up. Interesting thing is that they are my most two recent postings about it.

Link to the DBR Handy Pocket Reference [Archive] - DBR Forums
    I was curious so I Googled "handy pocket reference". The right answer came up as the 4th listing. When I refined the search and asked for "Throaty's handy ...
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...php/t-25.html - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

Duke – Notre Dame - Page 2 - DBR Forums
    Please refer to Throaty's Handy Pocket Reference, sticky'd to the top of the board, currently the second thread from the top. ...
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ad.php?p=61660 - 59k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.dukebasketballreport.com ]
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com