Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Two great memories from 1986--

1. JD blocks David River's shot at the buzzer. It is not often a dramatic game-winning shot is blocked at the buzzer, but JD did it.
    That was a Sunday afternoon game and Al McGuire did the TV color. After watching in Cameron, I raced back to watch the tape of the TV coverage of the game. I can still hear McGuire's words as they showed slow mo replay of the block, "all ballllllllll, all balllllll"

That was my favorite Duke BB weekend ever. The night before, Duke played NC State and Chris Washburn in Reynolds coliseum. I somehow had tickets to that one also and JD won a fiercely fought game when he was fouled on a shot with 2 seconds and hit the winning free throws. Very unusual in the regular season to have a Saturday night road game and a Sunday afternoon home game. And then JD wins both at the buzzer, one with offense and one with defense.

Billy King's job on Mark Macon.

The 1968 triple overtime victory over Carolina. I was the happiest little boy in the World on that Saturday afternoon.
    Bob Green

Fred Lind. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The 1968 triple overtime victory over Carolina. I was the happiest little boy in the World on that Saturday afternoon.
    When did Heyman (was it Heyman?) punch out Larry Brown (was it Brown?) in Cameron? This was obviously before EarlJam's time. But what an awesome moment. I can't cite seeing it as one of my all-time great Duke memories, but I can cite reading about it as one of my favorite Duke memories.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    When did Heyman (was it Heyman?) punch out Larry Brown (was it Brown?) in Cameron? This was obviously before EarlJam's time. But what an awesome moment. I can't cite seeing it as one of my all-time great Duke memories, but I can cite reading about it as one of my favorite Duke memories.

-EarlJam
    February 1961. I was only 18 months old so I can't cite it either.
    Bob Green

Hi,

If we can't win but one game a season, I want it to be against UNC. IMO, this is even more important for a home game. I will never forget Mr. Capel keeping hope alive on February 2, 1995. Sure we ended up losing the game 102-100, but Jeff's shot showed that even at our lowest points we still have a chance of beating UNC!

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    February 1961. I was only 18 months old so I can't cite it either.
    I was -7 at the time. I wonder where my energy/soul was at that time. It's hard to imagine "not being."

-Deep thoughts, with EarlJam

1. Gone in 48-seconds at Cole, January 2001
    2. The close win against Maryland in the '01 ACC Semis and the subsequent destruction of Carolina by 26(?) the next day
    3. Beating Carolina in CH after Boozer's injury when everyone outside of Durham (and even some in Durham, like the Chroincle) stuck a fork in the Devils.

1. Banks jam over Ralph Sampson
    2. Meagher's reverse jam in the 84 ACC tourney as Duke finally beat Jordan and the Toolies
    3. Grant's jam against Maryland, IIRC, even more incredible than the jam against Kansas
    4. Grant and Hurley embracing after beating UNLV in the 91 semis
    5. Duke's blowout of St. Johns in Louie C's final season, possibly the most dominating performance of the Laettner-Hurley-Hill era. If you were a fan of Louie C that one was tough to watch toward the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    5. Duke's blowout of St. Johns in Louie C's final season, possibly the most dominating performance of the Laettner-Hurley-Hill era. If you were a fan of Louie C that one was tough to watch toward the end.
    Oh, Snap! Good one! I remember it well...now...but had forgotten!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Hi,

If we can't win but one game a season, I want it to be against UNC. IMO, this is even more important for a home game. I will never forget Mr. Capel keeping hope alive on February 2, 1995. Sure we ended up losing the game 102-100, but Jeff's shot showed that even at our lowest points we still have a chance of beating UNC!

Best regards,
    Jeffrey
    this is one of my favorite moments also

Front row, center court, tent #1 and 3rd or so guy in the door for Capel's shot vs UNC. Watched the AP guy throw his notes in the air as part of the celebration. AWESOME.

Gone in 54 seconds was pretty good too, tho there was so much heartache leading up to it in that game it was almost overwhelming.

Beating Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    4. Grant and Hurley embracing after beating UNLV in the 91 semis
    Very close to mine. My favorite is K coming on to the court after Hunt's missed three and calming everyone to emphasize that they knew they were going to win. As much as I loved The Shot, the UNLV win was a lot more satisfying.

I only went to a handful of games my senior year, but I picked some good ones.

1. The Dockery shot

2. JJ scores 40 on 13 shots

3. JJ breaks JD's record

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    1. Gone in 48-seconds at Cole, January 2001
    It was 54 seconds.

"They need a miracle... there's one."

In no particular order:

a) our upset of Carolina in the tournament in 1984. This is the first Duke game I remember well.
    b) 1986 ACCCG
    c) Wojo hugging coach K in 1998
    d) Women's upset of UNC in 1995 and of UTK in 1999

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Loved this one (my senior year):
    -Chris Duhon going coast-to-coast in the Dean Dome to beat UNC with a buzzer-beating reverse layup in 2004

Also the comeback vs. kuralonna in Cameron in '98(?)...the "Roshown McLeod glare" game

I know I don't have many facts for this moment but I can remember being glued to the ACC Tournament one year when there was not a Duke player who played alot of minutes that was over like 6'6 and they made it deep in the ACC Tournament.
    I'm pretty sure Langdon was a freshmen. Sorry I couldn't give much more info but I'm sure someone here will remember.

In addition to the many already mentioned above:

1978 East Regional finals: Duke had been referred to as a bunch of slow footed elephants. We came out and rang up about 24 points before Rollie M and 'Nova knew what hit them.

In the same game, Kenny Dennard had a break away and show boated with something I had never seen before... a backwards slam (keep in mind, the "Lew Alcinder" rule against dunking had only recently been lifted)

Chanting airball (for the first time?) after "Chic" Yonaker tossed an airball in the famed 7-0 first half of the 1979 finale against the heels.

Outlasting Kelly Tripuka and the Notre Dame team in St. Louis in '78 in the Final Four. Especially enjoyed the odd pairing of the Duke pep band next to the ND pep band. Lets just say their "buttoned down" demeanor, blazers, and band director who was a priest did not appreciate our version of their fight song as vociferously sung from the DUMB hymnal.