Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Favorite moments in Duke history

Obviously a lot of people are going to mention certain April nights in 1991, 1992, and 2001, as well as Laettner's shot, but what about other moments? When you think of Duke basketball, what plays/games immediately come to your mind? Some off the top of my head:

1. J-Will at Maryland
    2. Shane blocking Forte
    3. JJ's 2nd half against State in the ACC tournament his (I think) freshman year
    4. J-Will hitting the 3 against Indiana--words can't describe my euphoria, however brief it ended up being
    5. Duhon at Wake

in addition to those already listed:

1) Brickey's dunk (tomahawk) right in front of me versus the Holes at Cameron that brought The Dean off the bench to call a timeout. Even though we lost that game, Dean got rattled, which pleased ME.

2) Watching Dawkins dribble across half-court and exhaling while Mark Price realized, simultaneous to Dawkins' exhale, that Duke was going to win the ACC Regular Season.

3) The Shot. I stood on the couch, pointed at the TV, and at the top of my voice screamed 'YOU'RE A STAR!!!!!' at Christian over and over again and I couldn't stop.

dth.

UConn's Rod (?) Sellers slamming Christian Laettner's head into the court about 12 times in the '91 tourney as retaliation for the "Special" play in 1990.

Laettner got up, laughed, and we beat them again.

-EarlJam

For some reason, the first things (other than tournament memories) that come to mind for me are dunks.

1. J.J.'s dunk against Maryland, that was a throwdown!
    2. Corey Maggette's dunk against Florida when he slapped the backboard and got a technical. <-------the moment I became a Duke fan.
    3. Dahntay Jones' dunk at Virginia on Vanderlaan. He dunked over him and then did push ups.

Nick Horvath . . . DePaul . . . WOW

The shot

The shot.

An incredible game and when they scored with 2.something seconds left, I turned to my girlfriend and said "That's that." Cussed a bit because I knew that we had the potential to win it all again and be the first time since ULCA do it and told my girlfriend that a full court inbounds play with that much time works about once in a million times and that there was no way season over and the timeout is over and Grants got the ball and I get up to turn off the tv and he throws it and Christian catches the ball major miracle right there and then dribbles HE DRIBBLES???? and turns and hits the shot and I just fell down in front of the tv in a heap.

Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    Obviously a lot of people are going to mention certain April nights in 1991, 1992, and 2001, as well as Laettner's shot, but what about other moments? When you think of Duke basketball, what plays/games immediately come to your mind?
    Only games I've seen in person:

1. 1986, Final 8 v. Navy. Midshipmen unfurl terrific (and huge) Nuke Duke banner; thousands of dress whites at attention; David Robinson was spectacular but not enough; Johnny D. steals and dunks to seal the deal with cries of "Abandon Ship" echoing around the Meadowlands.
    2. 7-0 game in 1979.
    3. Gene Banks over Sam Perkins to send game into OT in 1981. Of course we go on to win. We learned that K could coach a bit...
    4. Billy King shutting down Mark Macon, Final 8. 1988.
    5. Laettner's shot ("special") off the inbounds pass (before "the shot") v. UConn, Final 8, 1990.
    6. Welcoming the USC Trojans with a shower of a particular brand of condoms in 1979 (and certain Duke players grabbing handfuls...).
    7. Richard Nixon: Duke's Second Biggest Mistake. Welcome Lefty. 1980.

These are from some games I actually attended...

1) Phil Henderson's dunk over Alonzo Mourning in the 1989 Regional Finals

2) Christian's shot against UCONN in the 1990 Regional Finals

3) In 1988, Billy King shutting down (and outscoring) Notre Dame star David Rivers at Cameron

4) 1991 Senior Day v. Clemson, when for at least a half, little used reserve Clay Buckley held his own against future NBA player Dale Davis

5) Duke v. LSU, 1991 at Cameron, when Dale Brown inexplicably let Shaq guard Laettner one on one as Laettner repeatedly burned him on a dribble from outside

1. Montross' bloody head in Duke vs. UNC '92 and days later...

2. "The Shot Gone Wrong" - At Wake Forest, Duke down with a couple seconds to go. Hill throws full-court in-bound pass to Laettner. Ball fades left. It gets fuzzy here: Laettner catches it but foot is out of bounds? Wake wins. This scenario would nearly repeat itself over a month later vs. Kentucky. Had we not learned from the mistakes of that play, "The Shot" may never have been what it was. And it was, Spectrumtacular!

-EarlJam

I have only been a real fan since my matriculation in 2000 and a lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I would add:

1. J.J. lights up #2 Texas at The Meadowlands (mostly because I had the pleasure of attending).

2. Duke was still #1 going into that game because of: Dockery's half-courter against the Hokies.

3. J-Will hobbles out to center court for Midnight Madness my senior year ('03-'04).

4. Duke opens up 34-2 at home against Michigan in December of 2000.

5. Shane (along with Nate, Caldbeck, and Simpson) coming out after the senior night loss to Maryland (and Boozer injury) in order to address the crazies, vowing that the team wasn't done yet.

6. Being in Cameron to watch Maryland's 22-point lead evaporate in the 2001 Final Four.

Two great memories from 1986--

1. JD blocks David River's shot at the buzzer. It is not often a dramatic game-winning shot is blocked at the buzzer, but JD did it.

2. Someone else had lost during the week and it was Saturday and Duke would be #1 (for the first time in a looong time) if we could just beat a highly regarded Oklahoma team in Cameron. We jumped out to about a 30-4 lead or something crazy like that. It was insane. In my 4 years, I never, ever, heard Cameron that loud.

-Jason "oh, and when Grant Hill almost stepped on my foot while he threw a certain pass... but you all know that story" Evans

1. The Shot
    2. Dawkins backwards Dunk over Navy.
    3. Phil Henderson's dunk over Alonzo.
    5. Tate Armstrongs going up and arching a jumpshot over Len Elmore, who was perfectly positioned and going up to block the shot, in Cameron, and hitting nothing but net. Tate could jump.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Two great memories from 1986--

1. JD blocks David River's shot at the buzzer. It is not often a dramatic game-winning shot is blocked at the buzzer, but JD did it.

2. Someone else had lost during the week and it was Saturday and Duke would be #1 (for the first time in a looong time) if we could just beat a highly regarded Oklahoma team in Cameron. We jumped out to about a 30-4 lead or something crazy like that. It was insane. In my 4 years, I never, ever, heard Cameron that loud.

-Jason "oh, and when Grant Hill almost stepped on my foot while he threw a certain pass... but you all know that story" Evans
    You stole my thunder at #1. Rivers was popping with regularity and there seemed no doubt if he put it up, it was gonna go down. Dawkins' block totally won the game.

Robbie West's free throw to beat Carolina.

Grant Hill's ally-oop to start the championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    2. Duke was still #1 going into that game because of: Dockery's half-courter against the Hokies.

3. J-Will hobbles out to center court for Midnight Madness my senior year ('03-'04).
    As a recent grad, I echo the sentiments for #2 and #3.

I would also like to add:
    -Chris Duhon going coast-to-coast in the Dean Dome to beat UNC with a buzzer-beating reverse layup in 2004
    -Beating a heavily favored UNC at home in 2005 (loudest I've ever heard Cameron)

Fred Lind. "nuff said.

Bob Harris says...

"Hurley for three..........BOTTOMMMMMMMMMMMMMS!"

Or, as CBS announcers say...

"Duke does NOT need a three, Hurley puts one up....and makes it! Wow!"

God I loved Hurley.

-EarlJam

"Robbie West's free throw to beat Carolina."

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was a jumper from the top of the key.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    "Robbie West's free throw to beat Carolina."

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was a jumper from the top of the key.
    You are correct sir. I left out the words LINE SHOT.

I left out but was thinking of Laettner's missed free throws against Arizona when he was a freshman. I think those misses were important to his future concentration on free throw shooting for the rest of his career.

This isn't so much a moment, but I enjoyed watching JJ's free throw streaks, especially the record breaker

Ricky Price's game winner at Maryland was a great moment (it got us into the NCAA's that year). Also, JJ lighting up B.C. in the ACC tourney final his senior year.