Looking ahead to Maui

In all likelihood, our path to the title will be Princeton-->Illinois-->Marquette. I don't know much about those teams other than that Marquette is supposed to be very good. Will we be tested before Wednesday? How will we respond to a team like Princeton who's tempo is so opposite our own?

Personally, I love these preseason tournaments because it simulates conference tournament time when teams play three or four days in a row. I think it's a great tune-up, and will give Duke a chance to showcase its depth. IMO, we'll be much better rested come Wednesday than Marquette, if we both do indeed survive rounds one and two.

If we do get to meet Marquette, it will be a great chance to show how much different, and hopefully better, this year's Duke team is. They have 3 strong perimeter guys - PG Dominic James, SG Jerel McNeal and WF Wes Matthews - and absolutely killed us with their quickness a year ago. We also had no "go to guy" to get us buckets when we need them late - McBobs looked very uncomfortable trying to take that mantle and finsihed something like 4-16 from the floor.

I wouldn't be surprised if we played Arizona State in the second round instead of Illinois. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we played Oklahoma State or LSU in the finals either. I don't think Marquette is as good as most people think they are, and if we do play them, I think we'll win relatively easily.

DukeCO2009-

Any up-tempo game will favor Duke, or at least allow Duke to be competitive, imo; when a team slows it down, controls tempo via disallowing fast breaks or up the court, and sinking the game into the half-court, this works against Duke unless some of our guards can get really hot and force the game back to man-to-man defense.

So, if King et. al. are hitting the J's versus the zone, then we're fine, but if they're off and the opponent stays zone, then we may struggle as we did versus New Mexico, but then again it may be too early to tell just how we're going to do versus a zone as we've only played two games.

Marquette had a couple lightning quick guards (like Mr. Lawson over at the Hill) who really gave us total misery the last time we played them; this year, we are much more equal and I think we will compete very nicely in any up tempo match.

So, let's hope for up tempo and remember it only takes one point to win a game.

dth.

Early Upsets

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if we played Arizona State in the second round instead of Illinois. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we played Oklahoma State or LSU in the finals either. I don't think Marquette is as good as most people think they are, and if we do play them, I think we'll win relatively easily.
    Early in the season there has been a number of big upsets. Teams haven't got things ironed out so its anyones guess who will be standing at the end. We have one advantage in that we really do have depth this year. Our defense looks like it will cause a lot of turnovers, although Princeton is so controlled they will probably not self destruct in that way.

Our defense against the, penetrate and dish, either to a big man or to the corner was not so great last time out. I'll bet the coaches have had them working to correct that. Our offense stagnated against the zone at times last time out as well.

It will be interesting to see how much improvement the team has made going into the Maui tournament. The team has the potential to win three, we shall see if it is realized.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Early in the season there has been a number of big upsets. Teams haven't got things ironed out so its anyones guess who will be standing at the end. We have one advantage in that we really do have depth this year. Our defense looks like it will cause a lot of turnovers, although Princeton is so controlled they will probably not self destruct in that way.

Our defense against the, penetrate and dish, either to a big man or to the corner was not so great last time out. I'll bet the coaches have had them working to correct that. Our offense stagnated against the zone at times last time out as well.

It will be interesting to see how much improvement the team has made going into the Maui tournament. The team has the potential to win three, we shall see if it is realized.
    Is Princeton still playing the Princeton Offense or is it a significantly modified version, like Georgetown is a modified version?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I would love to see a meeting with Mr. Boateng.

Has Marquette lost anyone significant since our last meeting? I don't know that much about their team. Obviously their backcourt is still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Is Princeton still playing the Princeton Offense or is it a significantly modified version, like Georgetown is a modified version?
    Still running it. But the program is rebuilding. Joe Scott ran the program into the ground, and they were 2-12 in the Ivy League last year. Now Sydney Johnson is the coach (you might remember him from "I just beat UCLA with a backdoor layup in 1996").

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Agree on both points, but I am not worried at all about the zone. We have 2 REALLY good shooters in Greg and Taylor, and two pretty darn good shooters in Jon and Demarcus, not to mention three very capable shooters in G, Nolan & Kyle. Not to mention marty off the bench.

While going to a zone might seem like a logical way to slow us down in the halfcourt offense, I think people will quickly learn that we can hurt them with the 3 ball if they do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    I would love to see a meeting with Mr. Boateng.
    I would too, although I suspect for different reasons. Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like u want to play him so we can take it to him. I'm actually curious to see how he has developed considering he was so raw when he came to duke.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I would too, although I suspect for different reasons. Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like u want to play him so we can take it to him. I'm actually curious to see how he has developed considering he was so raw when he came to duke.
    Besides the fact that I want the team to take it to whomever the play, I harbor no ill will towards Boateng. I think he made the right move for himself and Duke. I see how "I want to meet Mr. Boateng..." can come out ominous and threatening but I just like reunions. I'm probably of the same mindset as you.

P.S. - As much as I mini-vomit when perusing IC, they do have some comedy gems over there: A reference to Alleva's "Boateng Accident," for example.

Uh, never mind what I said about Marquette losing before the finals. Oklahoma State lost to North Texas and LSU barely squeeked it out against McNeese State at home. Outside of us, this looks like an awful field for Maui. Maybe Chaminade can make it to the finals

A couple potential Maui opponents stumbled tonight. OKST lost at North Texas tonight by 9, and LSU slipped by the McNeese State Cowboys 78-74 after being tied at the half.

Both of those squads have some pretty serious individual talent. Tasmin Mitchell is a tough matchup, and OKST has a freshman in James Anderson that reminds me a lot of Gerald. As teams, though, neither is really very good. It's a somewhat weak Maui field this year. Duke and Marquette are clearly the class of the tournament, and I'd be really surprised if either of us fail to make it to the championship game.

EDIT: Wander beat me to it by a minute!

When does the team head to Maui?

Various thoughts

The Featherston article on the front page provides some insightful analysis and history of past trips to Hawaii.

Princeton does not appear to have the depth or talent to compete with Duke. I expect we will win that game rather easily, but I'm anxiously awaiting the 2nd and 3rd games as a litmus test of where we actually are in terms of team play and grit. There is no doubt we have the talent. I want to see how we react when tested.

The game in Charlotte against Davidson should be a great matchup. I fondly remember extremely competitive Duke-Davidson games from my youth.

I'm ready for the weekend and the possibility of beating Notre Dame in football, next week with the Maui Invitational, and the prospect of engaging in intelligent sports discourse.
    Bob Green

Having started with NCCU in Cameron, this neutral court and progression of tougher games should really help Coach K build the team. I agree that providing we can get to Marquette, and we should, it will make a nice game to measure progress.

whats the over under on the number of teams that succumb to cramps? I think I read at some point that distance runners start hydrating 2 weeks in advance for a big race. I hope Duke has been getting their fluids!