Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hump Day and COFFEE!

With today being Hump Day (Wednesday), I thought it would be the perfect time to discuss coffee.

I was told this morning that "Supremo" or "Dark Roast" coffees are no stronger than regular cups of coffee. For some reason I always thought they were.

Is there a coffee expert in the house? For a good morning jolt, what is the best coffee (or variation thereof (e.g., esspresso)) to drink?

-EarlJAM

I am ashamed . . .

but I have been enjoying the "limited time" Starbucks Dark Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Frappucinos. Kroger had them on sale, and though they are sweet, they are extra-yummy as a treat.

As for real coffee, I prefer medium roast, brewed strong with a tad of sugar and a splash of 1/2 and 1/2.

Dark roasts may not be stronger, but they have a more bitter taste. French roast is a dark roast. I do not like the bitterness, I prefer medium or medium-to-dark, like Jamaica Blue Mountain, though I cannot afford it.

Not sure that answered your question, but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    but I have been enjoying the "limited time" Starbucks Dark Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Frappucinos. Kroger had them on sale, and though they are sweet, they are extra-yummy as a treat.

As for real coffee, I prefer medium roast, brewed strong with a tad of sugar and a splash of 1/2 and 1/2.

Dark roasts may not be stronger, but they have a more bitter taste. French roast is a dark roast. I do not like the bitterness, I prefer medium or medium-to-dark, like Jamaica Blue Mountain, though I cannot afford it.

Not sure that answered your question, but there it is.
    Jamaica Blue Mountain sounds interesting. Can you get that at the grocery store? I'll try it.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Jamaica Blue Mountain sounds interesting. Can you get that at the grocery store? I'll try it.

-EJ
    No, it's about $60 a pound and you have to get it from a specialty coffee store, which will probably have to special order it, since most people don't drink $60 a pound coffee.

No, it's about $60 a pound and you have to get it from a specialty coffee store, which will probably have to special order it, since most people don't drink $60 a pound coffee.
    I'll hunt it down and try it. Seems worth trying once. There are other consumable products from Jamaica that I'd like to get my hands on as well. I'll look into that too.

-EarlJam

coffee

OR, go to Jamaica on business/pleasure/mission work, buy a bag or 10 of it and bring it back to your family/friends/co-workers and sell/give as gifts to these fine coffee-holics and make friends for life(or at least until their supply runs out). I found out about this brand several years ago when my son went there for a week and folks who were lucky enough to receive a bag when he returned raved for weeks about it, including my wife who is a coffee-holic. And no Lavabe or TB, I did not ask him to be a beer importer-exporter for that trip

coffee really isn't my thang, I'd prefer tea.
    I have tried dark roast coffee mixed with some hot chocolate and half and half. Not a bad little drink!

For a good morning jolt, what is the best coffee (or variation thereof (e.g., esspresso)) to drink?
    Any coffee that suits your taste will do - just use less water!

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    Any coffee that suits your taste will do - just use less water!
    Thanks, and cool avatar!

-Url Cham

I love the Java Jive and it loves me

I had a chance to try Jamaican Blue Mountain when I was younger. I ponied up a lot of money for a 4-ounce bag.

It was good, but not good enough that I'd pay that much again. I wouldn't turn it down if offered a freebie.

Personally -- and I realize this is personal taste -- I hate all flavored and sweet concoctions. I'm not much into heavy does of cream, so I have no interest in Frappachino's and latte's and all that other Starbucks cr$p.

I want a strong (but not too strong) Columbian blend with no cream and no sweeteners. Actually, plain ole' Maxwell Regular is my daily choice. I'd rather have a cup of black at McDonald's or from my local quickie stop than from Starbucks.

Every once in a while I will juice it up with a shot of brandy (never Amoretto or any flavored liqour), but that's it.

coffee

I'm a HUGE coffee lover. I prefer mostly African coffees, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe being my favorite. There are also fantastic Central American coffees... several varieties from Costa Rica (Tarrazu for one) are also favorites.

Oh and coffee should be served hot, black and strong. No sugar or cream. Ideally prepared in a French press, where you get maximum steepage.

It's my understanding that the darker the roast, the less caffeine it has (I got this from a buddy of mine who has his own coffee roasting company, so I don't have an immediate citation).

If anyone is interested in some fantastic mail-order coffee, PM me. I don't want to stick marketing here on the board, but my friend's coffee is out of this world. (disclaimer: I have absolutely ZERO interest in my friend's business, other than a desire to see small businesses triumph over the evil of Starbucks)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Oh and coffee should be served hot, black and strong.

I like it hot, black and strong...like my men.

Kidding. Name the movie I'm referencing (not a direct quote).

-EarlJam

http://www.larrysbeans.com/index.php

local beanery in raleigh. i like their frank sumatra blend. i can buy it at whole foods down in charleston.

Kidding. Name the movie I'm referencing (not a direct quote).

-EarlJam
    Blazing Saddles!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Blazing Saddles!
    Nope, though I can see where you got that. That would be more along the lines of:

"It's true! It's truuuuuuuuuuuuue!!"

-EarlJam

that's airplane, no?

Earljam, do you like movies about gladiators? Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    that's airplane, no?

DING DING DING!

Ladies and gents, we have a winner!

-EarlJam

P.S. Is "willy" an adjective modifying "woody?"

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Earljam, do you like movies about gladiators? Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?
    Surely you can't be serious.

-Captain Over

Surely you can't be serious.

-Captain Over
    I think she is serious. But don't call her Shirley.

As for coffee...Starbuck's, according to industry best practices, is harvested before it's ripe, and then over-roasted, hence its bitterness standing in for "dark roast" qualities.

As for me, I like my coffee strongish, but not too dark...I typically buy Folger's or Maxwell House (whichever is on special at the sto' when I'm buying) and up the proportion of grounds a bit.

Santa Mom usually brings me some primo coffee at Christmas time, which never lasts into February.

If I'm buying a cup at a time (which I really hate to do...$2-3 coffee is obscene), I prefer Dunkin' Donuts. Their joe is quite good.

No matter whose coffee I'm drinking, or how much I'm paying, it's black...I often get weird looks for that. I sometimes get the feeling that that stems from my age (though I really dunno why young'uns shouldn't take their coffee black). Anyone else had that experience?