Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBA stars who WEREN'T the best player on their college team?

Hey all,

Was just thinking about this; how many serious NBA players were NOT the best player on their COLLEGE team? Anyone know of any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey all,

Was just thinking about this; how many serious NBA players were NOT the best player on their COLLEGE team? Anyone know of any examples?
    Boozer, Oh-O, Maggetteo.

Vince Carter - certainly was no slouch at UNC, but he played second fiddle to Jamison.

John Havlicheck

Gilbert Arenas
    Richard Jefferson
    Paul Pierce (arguably)
    Jason Terry
    Michael Redd (arguably)
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Plus you've got situations like Vince Carter/Antawn Jamison or Rasheed/Stackouse, where it's not clear who was better in college.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Lebron James
    Amare Stoudemire
    Kobe Bryant
    Kevin Garnett
    Tony Parker
    Dwight Howard
    Manu Ginobili
    Dirk Nowitzki

Sorry for being a smart-^$%^$%^$%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Gilbert Arenas
    Richard Jefferson
    Surely not both.

Zach Randolph/Jason Richardson (I think they were on the same team?)
    Andre Iguodala
    Ben Gordon (played with Okafor)
    Kirk Hinrich (alongside Gooden and Collison)

Shavlik Ra... just kidding.

Joe Forte
    Brendan Haywood
    Rashad McCants

Oh wait, I read the question backwards...

No mention of Jalen Rose yet

Not sure if Deron Williams was definitively considered the best on his team. Dee Brown and Luther Head were also All-Americans.

Drexler (Olajuwon)
    Boozer
    Maggette
    Redd
    Pierce
    Randolph
    Richardson
    Arenas
    Jefferson (both were below Michael Wright and Jason Gardner in college)
    Juwon Howard
    Jalen Rose
    Sam Cassell (Bobby Sura, Doug Edwards)
    Mookie Blaylock

And a bunch of cases where one of the two was better in college, including:
    Jordan/Worthy
    Carter/Jamison
    Wallace/Stackhouse
    Gordon/Okafor
    Terry/Bibby

Future considerations:
    Felton
    Hinrich
    Chris Wilcox
    Gerald Wallace

One of Luol Deng or Chris Duhon.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    One of Luol Deng or Chris Duhon.
    Duhon isn't an NBA star by any means. I left Deng off because I think he was the best player on our team that year.

stars?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And a bunch of cases where one of the two was better in college, including:
    Jordan/Worthy
    Carter/Jamison
    Wallace/Stackhouse
    Gordon/Okafor
    Terry/Bibby
    Just to be clear -- Jordan and Worthy played together one season and in that season, there was no question who the best player was -- Worthy won a national player of the year award, was one vote shy of unanimous first-team All-ACC and was the Final Four MVP -- Jordan was ACC rookie of the year, but wasn't even second-team All-ACC. He didn't explode as a superstar until the next season, after Worthy's departure.

There was also no doubt about the Carter-Jamison situation at UNC. Jamison was the star -- three-time first-team All-ACC and ACC POY as a junior. Carter, who came in the same class, was the talented guy who struggled to fit Dean's system. He didn't start as a freshman. He was third-team All-ACC as a soph and finally made first-team All-ACC as a junior (although he finished well behind Jamison and Georgia Tech's Matt Harpring in the All-ACC voting).

Since Carter and Jamison played together for all three years at college, I would think that Carter would be a poster boy for an NBA star who was never the best player on his college team. While Jordan wasn't as good as Worthy in their one year together, he did have two years as UNC's clearcut star.

That brings up Sam Perkins. He's no longer in the league, but he played like 18 years and was an all-star a number of times. He played four years at UNC and was never their best player. As a freshman in 1981, he was great -- but he played third fiddle to Al Woods and Worthy. As a sophomore, he was a first-team All-American -- but he played second-fiddle to Worthy (ahead of Jordan). He repeated as an All-American in 1983 and 1984, but in those years, he played second-fiddle to Jordan, who had leapt past him.

All in all, I'd say Perkins was the Lou Gehrig of the ACC's greatest players (although at least Gehrig had one season between Ruth and DiMaggio where he was the team's biggest star)..

The earlier mention of Havlicek is right on -- at Ohio State, he was the team's No. 2 option behind classmate Jerry Lucas, who was all-everything in college. Off the top of my head, he's the only Hall of Famer I can think of who was the clearcut No. 2 guy in college (maybe KC Jones, if he's in the Hall -- and he played second fiddle to Bill Russell).

A couple of Duke guys beyond Boozer qualify for mention. Jeff Mullins, who to this day remains Duke's all-time leading NBA scorer, was second-fiddle to Art Heyman for two of his three years (although he became the star as a senior in 1964). And Grant Hill, Duke's most successful modern pro, played third-fiddle on Duke's 1991 and 1992 title teams ... even in 1993 when he and Hurley were co-leaders, Grant finished behind Bobby in the All-ACC vote and for All-America honors (Bobby was consensus first-team; Grant was consensus second team). Only as a senior did Grant become the team's unquestioned star.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Surely not both.
    Both Jefferson and Arenas went pro after the 2001 season. You can see the Arizona starters' stats from 2001 here: http://espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney01/teams/12.html. I'd say that Michael Wright has the best stats out of the five. I also remember Loren Woods being hyped up a lot at the time.

That Zona team really did have a talented roster, didn't it? It was a good thing that Arenas was injured in the game against us and still insisted on bombing away. If you've seen his lines from early this season, you'll notice that nothing has changed. He's hurt, and still bombing away (and still missing).

Dikembe Motumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    That Zona team really did have a talented roster, didn't it? It was a good thing that Arenas was injured in the game against us and still insisted on bombing away. If you've seen his lines from early this season, you'll notice that nothing has changed. He's hurt, and still bombing away (and still missing).

I think you could put together a NBA Playoff team from the two rosters in that National Championship game with Duke and Arizona.
    Gilbert Arenas
    Richard Jefferson
    Luke Walton
    Shane Battier
    Carlos Boozer
    Mike Dunleavy
    Chris Duhon
    Coach K

Team chemistry would certainly be an issue seeing as how Gilbert would just try and score 50 every game to prove to Coach K that he still belongs on the national team.