Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Dykes

Jimmy Dykes

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed his analysis tonight. There's so much announcer-bashing around here during the season, and I happen to think Jimmy is one of the best out there. He really knows the game, he does his homework on the team he's covering and he clearly enjoys what he's doing without going heavy on the schtick. In short, he's excellent at his job, and while it seems like he isn't assigned to many ACC games, maybe we'll get him a few more times before conference play starts.

Word. I first noticed him about two years ago when he did a similar game involving Duke (vs some mid-major) and thought it was so refreshing that he actually talked to the coaches beforehand, absorbed what they were trying to accomplish, and offered insightful analysis during the game as to whether goals were being reached. He knows the game very well and he talks about the game during the game. Very cool and rare of him. Apparently he's going to Maui so let's hope he does the Duke games over there.

He was pretty good. I think the best color announcer for any sport I care about (football and basketball) is Gary Danielson. Watch an SEC football game. He is great. I wish there was an equivalent for basketball.

It has taken me awhile to get used to Dykes, but I would agree that he is excellent on both football and hoops.

Also agree on Danielson, though I have always liked Tim Brant on college football. The worst for FB have to be the crew for ESPNU; I don't know their names, but they are absolutely awful.

I just like the positive announcers - not the overly positive ones obsessed with their own shtick (Vitale, etc.), but the glass-half-full type announcers. Dykes is definitely an appropriately positive announcer.

I was wondering if Dykes lives in the Duke area. He talked about being at the game Friday night and the times that he's spent with the team and talked with Coach K. I know this could be that he's just doing his job and scouting a team he's going to cover, but I was wondering if he lived near the university, which made it easier for him to cover the team with a little more depth?

Good post.

Our alum and former player is pretty good too. So is, I might add Bob Harris.

Jumbo,

I also like Dykes. I had some work in Kansas City 3-4 years ago and, while there, I watched some bball in the evening. Dykes was doing Big 12 games. He was excellent and apparently, ESPN has picked him up the last couple of years. He was a reserve guard at Arkansas and I got the impression that he still lived in that part of the country.

One ESPN team that I like is Terry Gannon and Stephen Bardo. They are two smart basketball guys who keep the viewer informed.

gw67

I also enjoy Jimmy Dykes very much. Great announcer all-around. I remember him doing the JJ 40-point game versus Virginia, in Cameron, with Mike Patrick a couple of years ago, and he was fantastic. Dykes, Patrick, Tim Brando and Mike Giminski (FSN Sunday telecasts) are definitely my favorite guys to handle the Blue Devils.

I'm just glad Mr. "O-fense" went back to coaching

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I'm just glad Mr. "O-fense" went back to coaching
    Ditto on Dykes (I mentioned as much in the postgame thread).

Gotta say though, I differ with this take on Majerus. His funny talking aside (and I actually always found that quirkily charming), I think he was one of the best color men out there during the couple of seasons he did TV work. I was always excited to find him working one of our games (especially since it meant no "I want to punch this schmuck in the" Dickie V).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Gotta say though, I differ with this take on Majerus. His funny talking aside (and I actually always found that quirkily charming), I think he was one of the best color men out there during the couple of seasons he did TV work. I was always excited to find him working one of our games (especially since it meant no "I want to punch this schmuck in the" Dickie V).
    I guess people have different opinions on commentators and analysts just like any other performer or reporter. I always had a hard time listening to Majerus because of his difficulty in correctly pronouncing a player's name. After the third time I heard him say "Potzoos" for Pocius, I couldn't listen anymore. I might have no merit in this discussion though since I'm a Dick Vitale fan.

Insert my obligatory "I miss Lefty's announcing days. He really explained the game well, and was funny, too." comment.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    After the third time I heard him say "Potzoos" for Pocius, I couldn't listen anymore.
    Uh, he was pronouncing it correctly...

Since I'm one of the guys that gets upset with certain commentators, I should weigh in here when I appreciate the announcing in a game. And last night was very good. Definitely liked Dykes style. And lo and behold, he didn't once harp on Duke getting away with a foul or a travel or what have you. It was very refreshing and I hope ESPN assigns him to more of our games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Since I'm one of the guys that gets upset with certain commentators, I should weigh in here when I appreciate the announcing in a game. And last night was very good. Definitely liked Dykes style. And lo and behold, he didn't once harp on Duke getting away with a foul or a travel or what have you. It was very refreshing and I hope ESPN assigns him to more of our games.
    Well, he did sort of mention that the charge Scheyer drew on the break might not have been the best call. And he was right -- it was a terrible call. I loved Scheyer's effort, but it should have been an and-one, not a charge on the NMSU guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Well, he did sort of mention that the charge Scheyer drew on the break might not have been the best call. And he was right -- it was a terrible call. I loved Scheyer's effort, but it should have been an and-one, not a charge on the NMSU guy.
    You're right on that one, Jumbo. But he didn't harp on it. He mentioned it was probably a bad call and then moved on. With some of the other guys those type of things are driven into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Uh, he was pronouncing it correctly...
    I've never met Marty, or anyone in the Pocius family, so I don't know for certain how they pronounce their name but Wikipedia's got it pronounced as "Poat-Soos", which is how I've heard other announcers say the name. Whenever I heard Majerus say his name it sounded like "pot" combined with "zeus". Might be a nitpicky reason for not really liking Majerus, but it's just my opinion.

I wish I did as much research for my classes as I do on last names for the basketball team.

Doesn't deserve #10?

While I agree with everyone that the announcing last night was great - no Duke bashing.

As someone noted in the thread about the game Dykes mentioned he didn't think Duke should be ranked #10? Was wondering what everyone else thought about that. I'm not saying whether or not we deserve it - I kind of like being ranked lower than proving everyone wrong then being ranked high and falling, but that's just me - am just looking for everyone else's thoughts.

I disagreed with one thing...

Jimmy Dykes said that GP is the best scoring PG that Duke has ever had... did he forget about Jason Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I've never met Marty, or anyone in the Pocius family, so I don't know for certain how they pronounce their name but Wikipedia's got it pronounced as "Poat-Soos", which is how I've heard other announcers say the name. Whenever I heard Majerus say his name it sounded like "pot" combined with "zeus". Might be a nitpicky reason for not really liking Majerus, but it's just my opinion.

I wish I did as much research for my classes as I do on last names for the basketball team.
    Yeah, Wiki has it right (from what I understand), but I always thought that was how Majerus pronounced it, too.