View Poll Results: Who was the Man of the Match vs. NMSU?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paulus

90 60.40%
  • Nelson

1 0.67%
  • Henderson

6 4.03%
  • Singler

0 0%
  • Thomas

0 0%
  • Scheyer

50 33.56%
  • King

0 0%
  • Smith

0 0%
  • Zoubek

1 0.67%
  • Pocius

1 0.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Man of the Match -- NMSU

Who was the Man of the Match vs. NMSU?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Makes the 2nd time in two games I've voted for Mr. Scheyer...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I voted for Paulus, but it was a hard choice. Jon S had an awesome game offensively. But Greg really ran the team as we had expected from the beginning of his tenure at Duke. This team has awesome potential and will be exciting to watch. Yeah!!

Tough choice between Paulus and Scheyer, but Greg was there in the trenches when it really mattered. Happy to see that those who have supported those two guys were not disappointed.

Paulus Really Looked Good

It has to be Paulus. He did a little of everything last night, including getting the break started with turnovers, driving for buckets, getting assists.

Scheyer had a very nice game as well, but he had 6 of his points after the game had been decided (in the final minute). That doesn't mean they don't count - it just means I value them a bit less compared to Paulus' performance over the course of the game.

I've been one who's questioned Paulus' performances in the last two years. I don't take back my questioning of those previous performances, but his performance tonight was very strong and I think he deserves credit for it.

Greg Paulus, if for nothing more than pure hustle. Outstanding.

Give DeMarcus Some Love

DeMarcus played a great game, too. It was really nice to see Paulus, Scheyer, and Nelson all play well.

Not that it really matters, but does Scheyer start in Maui?

I thought Paulus did a good job solidifying that early run in the first half with his two layups that really got the team the big lead. It was cruise control from then on.

Paulus is looking very good now that he's healthy and we all hope he stays that way, healthy that is!! As for Scheyer he's doing really well and seems to have adjusted well to coming off the bench. I think having him come off the bench instead of starting could be very important and big for us this season. To have that kind of fire power come in can only help. Let's hope he continues shooting well and keeps up doing good coming off the bench and accepting of this role for as long as Coach K goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    DeMarcus played a great game, too. It was really nice to see Paulus, Scheyer, and Nelson all play well.

Not that it really matters, but does Scheyer start in Maui?
    Funny you should ask if Scheyer should start after you praise DeMarcus. I think DeMarcus should start and Jon should be the first one off the bench. I really love playing so many guys.

Can't DeMarcus and Scheyer Both Start?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Funny you should ask if Scheyer should start after you praise DeMarcus. I think DeMarcus should start and Jon should be the first one off the bench. I really love playing so many guys.
    I didn't say Scheyer should start, but asked if he would start. I'm okay with Scheyer coming off the bench, and it seems to be working for him. For some smaller opponents, we might start Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson, Henderson, and one big.

The two guys that I would continue to start all the time are Paulus and Nelson.

Does it matter? Scheyer is playing starter's minutes anyway!

Scheyer

After two games, Scheyer leads the team in mpg and ppg. He is shooting extraordinarly well (63% from field, 70% from 3-point and 80% from free throw line). He also has the second best A/TO on the team. I suspect that he is fine with coming off the bench if he is getting starter minutes and is contributing to the team. I don’t foresee his playing time being cut by much and, IMO, he is the best ballhandler and free throw shooter among the wings although Nelson has come through like a champ so far on his free throws.

gw67

John Scheyer = Instant Offense

While they are different players, I see a similarity between the way K has been using K (obviously a limited sample size) and the way D'Antoni uses/ used Leandro Barbosa. Having that 6 man that can come off the bench when the initial adrenalin rush for the starters has worn off is extremely effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    I didn't say Scheyer should start, but asked if he would start. I'm okay with Scheyer coming off the bench, and it seems to be working for him. For some smaller opponents, we might start Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson, Henderson, and one big.

The two guys that I would continue to start all the time are Paulus and Nelson.
    I was just messin' with you Fish80...there have been so many posts over the last couple of months about weather Jon or Henderson would start, I was goofin' that endless argument by putting DeMarcus' name there Sorry, I'm a little tired and maybe my sense of humor isn't really all that good anyway.

I like the starting 5 we have right now but I agree in principal that we should start the 5 guys that give us the proper player rotations to match a particular opponent.

Or instant defense...

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    While they are different players, I see a similarity between the way K has been using K (obviously a limited sample size) and the way D'Antoni uses/ used Leandro Barbosa. Having that 6 man that can come off the bench when the initial adrenalin rush for the starters has worn off is extremely effective.
    As I posted elsewhere, I was WAY more impressed with the D Scheyer brought to the game immediately. His scoring didn't really pick up until the second half, but his D was great right away, as was his ball movement, spacing, passing, etc.

As long as the guy plays a ton, I don't care whether he starts or comes off the bench. Either way, he'll be on the court to finish games, and that's what counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    As I posted elsewhere, I was WAY more impressed with the D Scheyer brought to the game immediately. His scoring didn't really pick up until the second half, but his D was great right away, as was his ball movement, spacing, passing, etc.

As long as the guy plays a ton, I don't care whether he starts or comes off the bench. Either way, he'll be on the court to finish games, and that's what counts.
    Agreed... I thought it was also interesting that Coach K was mad at Scheyer for not shooting enough. At one point in the first half Scheyer came off a screen in the corner, was wide open, and inexplicably passed to Thomas. Coach K came way off the bench yelling at Scheyer and making a "shoot the damn ball" motion with his hands.

No Worries

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I was just messin' with you Fish80...there have been so many posts over the last couple of months about weather Jon or Henderson would start, I was goofin' that endless argument by putting DeMarcus' name there Sorry, I'm a little tired and maybe my sense of humor isn't really all that good anyway.

I like the starting 5 we have right now but I agree in principal that we should start the 5 guys that give us the proper player rotations to match a particular opponent.
    I didn't mean to sound snarky.

In Jumbo's charting thread the line up of Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson, Henderson, and Singler performed well. Might see that line up a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I agree completely. It also reminds me a little of the role Morris Petersen played for Michigan State in 2000. If memory serves, he was their 6th man but was also all Big-10.