GEORGIA Football

Mark Richt, the head coach at Georgia for football might be one of the most creative coaches ever

2 weeks ago at Florida he demanded that his team get a penalty for excessive celebation after there first touchdown. Now most people thought that this was dispicable, but what do college basketball teams do right after a timeout by the other team, they run out and chest bump there players in celebration. This also put Florida in shock and in my mind set the tone for the entire game.

This past saturday against Auburn the supposed blackout was not looking to good when Georgia ran out in red jerseys, with the entire Georgia fan base in black shirts and all in shock the team ran to mid-field and tore off the red jerseys to revieal the Black Uniforms.

I would love this coach to become the Duke football coach sometime...

Ted Roof is doing a great job rebuilding this program, but Mark Richt has that edge that is just amazing, so 3 cheers for Georgia Football

can we sticky this thread so it stays up forever!?

truth be told . . . up until this season/ the last two games I always thought Richt was one of the most boring/ predictable coaches in the NCAA. But I have loved the emotion and excitement the last two weeks.

With Stafford a soph, the o-line primarily underclassmen, and Moreno a fresh - this streak could quite conceivably march through this year and into next . . .

I was at both the Florida game and the Auburn game this year. We thought a fight had broken out at the Florida game when Moreno got the first score. It was the most fun I have had at a game in a long time.

The "Blackout" was incredible. We all literally said "Oh, well" when the captains came out in red, but when the team ran on the field the stadium erupted. Then they played AC/DC Back in Black right up until kick-off.

It has been a great few weeks and I only hope we can keep it up for Kentucky and Georgia Tech.

My brother in law is a Georgia grad and makes the trek from Columbia, SC to Athens for most home games. As a result, I've been following Uga more closely for the past few years, and I've really enjoyed the last few games. I agree with previous comments to the effect that Richt appears to be settling into a less staid role, and the young talent definitely projects a bright future.

SEC football is _fun_. For my money, that's how the game should be played.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    truth be told . . . up until this season/ the last two games I always thought Richt was one of the most boring/ predictable coaches in the NCAA. But I have loved the emotion and excitement the last two weeks.

With Stafford a soph, the o-line primarily underclassmen, and Moreno a fresh - this streak could quite conceivably march through this year and into next . . .

I agree with Steven in that I used to think Mark Richt was a very boring coach who showed no emotion on the field. Honestly, I've liked Richt since he's been at UGA but was never in love with him until this season. Now, I'm a die-hard Mark Richt fan and feel like he's really done a lot to show the university that he cares and that he's as excited as we are about football. This is a bit off topic but I find it ironic that there were a number of people this year who felt like Richt couldn't get it done anymore at UGA after the loss at UT and the near loss at Vanderbilt. I remember people in the stands at Vandy talking about how Richt just didn't have the fire to lead us anymore. Hope those true fans are still supporting our team. The other thing that makes Richt so great is that no one can question his integrity. He's active in the community and is truly a class act and he's just as nice if you get the opportunity to meet him in person.

I'd like to think that next year is the year for UGA, but the schedule is absolutely brutal. Away games @ Arizona State, @ South Carolina, @ LSU, @ Kentucky, @ Auburn, and Florida in Jacksonville. Add in home games against 'Bama and Tennesee and it won't be easy. Who knows though? Stafford just needs to manage the game and Knowshon can continue to go Herschel Walker on everyone and we'll be just fine.

For anyone who hasn't seen this video...I feel like this is the definition of Coach Richt. Makes me proud to be a Bulldog supporter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBO9doKsydg

I got to wondering this last night . . .

UGA currently sits in a tie with UT for first place in the SEC east, but UT owns the tie breaker. Might it be better for UGA to win out, AND have UT win out. UGA currently sits 9th in the BCS. I see Arizona State (who sits at 8) possibly, and even likely, losing to USC this weekend. Of the three big 12 teams that sit in front of us, at least 2 are going to lose by seasons end.

So it is not inconceivable for UGA, if they win out, to be sitting 7th or 6th in the BCS. That might be good enough to qualify for an at large bid into a BCS bowlgame (esp if Hawaii doesnt end up snagging an automatic bid by jumping into the BCS top 14).

If UGA wins out and UT wins out, UGA avoids having to play LSU in the SEC championship. Regardless, UGA is not playing for a NC this year. And while I believe they have a very good shot at beating LSU, a loss essentially dooms any hope of an at large BCS bid.

Am I crazy to want to see this happen?

So it is not inconceivable for UGA, if they win out, to be sitting 7th or 6th in the BCS. That might be good enough to qualify for an at large bid into a BCS bowlgame (esp if Hawaii doesnt end up snagging an automatic bid by jumping into the BCS top 14).

If UGA wins out and UT wins out, UGA avoids having to play LSU in the SEC championship. Regardless, UGA is not playing for a NC this year. And while I believe they have a very good shot at beating LSU, a loss essentially dooms any hope of an at large BCS bid.

Am I crazy to want to see this happen?
    That's the popular thing to be rooting for in Athens right now on the talk radio shows. The Sugar Bowl officials (I'm certain of this, not a rumor) were at the Auburn game Saturday and they are interested in offering Georgia a bid if we win out, even if we don't go to the SEC Championship game. I'm pulling for Tennessee to win the rest of their games and then get demolished by LSU in the SEC Championship and then for UGA to win out and head on to the Sugar Bowl. I just don't want to see us play West Virginia again. Mobile QB's=Trouble

query

As a Duke fan, it's interesting to see the Georgia love-fest on their thread.

I'm just curious ... a question for all you Georgia fans. Has Richt cleaned up one of the dirtiest programs in college football history?

To my mind Vince Dooley is one of the biggest hypocrites in the game's history. My favorite Dooley stance is his constant opposition to a football playoff, citing the "academic" problems this would cause. This from a guy who's commitment to academics was about equal to George Bush's commitment to openess in goverment -- he was the coach during the Jan Kemp era (and it says a lot about the school that Kemp was vilified for exposing the academic fraud at the school while Dooley, who was behind it, was deified) ... he was a coach during the era when Georgia seniors (or juniors planning to jump the NFL) typically didn't bother to go to class in the fall of their last year ... yet would still be eligible to play in bowl games.

I know most of those shennanigans continued through the Jim Donnan era. And, of course, we know all about the Jim Harrick era in basketball.

I honestly don't know what Mark Richt's real commitment to academics is. If any of you actually have some evidence -- graduation rates? -- I'm perfectly willing to modify my distaste for a program that has been an academic sham for most of my lifetime.

But as a fan of a team that has suffered greatly for its refusal to give up its academic standards to remain competitive, I have to remain at least a little skeptical until I see evidence to the contrary.

There have been no, to my knowledge, allegations of academic impropriety on the UGA football team since Mark Richt took over. UGA does have a very low graduation rate, but that measures the numbers from 1996 - 1999, but Richt did not take over until 2000.

Given your diatribe, I would assume that you are just not a fan of major college football in general. Virtually every team in the SEC has been on probation at some point or another. Very few schools that are truly successful in college football have exemplary graduation rates. OU and Miami have both had examples come to light where players did not go to class and professors were pressured into giving them good grades. I am sure that goes on all over the map at major football and basketball programs where "student athlete" is not stressed as much as it is at Duke.

Additionally, UGA as an institution has drastically changed since the Kemp era. In the state of Ga, at that time, the general saying was that the admission requirements to get into UGA was a pulse. It should not be surprising at all that the students were jumping behind Vince rather than behind academics. To date UGA has become a much stronger academic institution (thanks in large part to the HOPE scholarship), and I am not sure that there would be the same response if the incident happened today.

Can I justify UGA's past academic failures - no. Do I still love the Bulldawgs? Of course. I am sorry my team is so distasteful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I honestly don't know what Mark Richt's real commitment to academics is. If any of you actually have some evidence -- graduation rates? -- I'm perfectly willing to modify my distaste for a program that has been an academic sham for most of my lifetime.
    I don't have any news that will make you think any better of the program. According the this AJC Article, UGA is last in the SEC for graduation rates.
    http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sp...ates_1004.html

However, I don't think UGA Basketball is any more credible now than it was when Jim Harrick was here. Last night, another Georgia basketball player was in the news for off the court issues and will probably result in yet another suspension. I think that makes 5 this year, 4 of which are important players who will probably be suspended. I know the university brought in Dennis Felton to turn the program around, but so far...it's difficult to see where we've made any progress.

Any time the SEC comes up, an ACC fan is going to have something high and mighty to say about it. That's just message board SOP.

UGA has an incredible faculty. Everyone talks about HOPE, and HOPE is real good, but another huge boost for that institution in the last 25 years is the demographic growth in that state. Georgia is now the 9th largest state in the nation. Holy taxbase, Batman.

I root for UGA second after all SEC teams but Mississippi State. My wife has quite a few Georgia fans in her family.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I don't have any news that will make you think any better of the program. According the this AJC Article, UGA is last in the SEC for graduation rates.
    http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sp...ates_1004.html

However, I don't think UGA Basketball is any more credible now than it was when Jim Harrick was here. Last night, another Georgia basketball player was in the news for off the court issues and will probably result in yet another suspension. I think that makes 5 this year, 4 of which are important players who will probably be suspended. I know the university brought in Dennis Felton to turn the program around, but so far...it's difficult to see where we've made any progress.
    The incident you are referring to is Billy Humphrey. He was arrested for having a weapon in his dorm room. The weapon was a "swiss army type blade that was longer than 2 inches," i.e. a switch blade. Apparently they were searching the room for something else (pot), did not find it, and then found this knife. Chances are Humphrey didnt even know it was illegal to possess (you can buy the things at Dick Sporting Goods - I had one my entire time at Duke and had no idea it was illegal on campus).

Herschel Calls Out Spurrier . . .

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...hel_takes.html

The weapon was a "swiss army type blade that was longer than 2 inches," i.e. a switch blade. Apparently they were searching the room for something else (pot), did not find it, and then found this knife.
    You're right. They were looking for marijuana in Mike Mercer's room because they suspected he had pot. I guess it's fortunate that they did not find it in Mercer's room, seeing as how he's already suspended and probably would have been kicked off the team, since the precedent was recently set with Takais Brown. Before the season has even really started UGA has had discipline problems with Albert Jackson, Brown, Mike Mercer, and now Billy Humphrey. All four individuals are/were expected to contribute to the success of this year's team. It's difficult to contribute when you're not on the court.

I think the pressure will begin to mount on Coach Felton to clean up the behavior of this team and keep them out of the news for ANY off-court trouble.

First step falls into place for the Bulldawgs. With Oregon out of the national championship picture, it looks like the Rose Bowl will be locked up with the Pac-10 automatic and the Big-10 automatic. There wont be a team ranked lower in the BCS than UGA, such as USC, as an at large to play in the Rose.

Now we need to take care of business against UK!

I am not sure if y'all have seen this but this is a little taste of what the Auburn game was like last week at Georgia. Moreno and T. Brown dancing to Soulja Boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgxVVdU3C00&NR=1

It never ceases to amaze me that a song that's about...what that song is about... gets played in so many "official" venues, even the clean version.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

As someone who was in the student section when that song was being playing, I can say without a doubt that the video doesn't do it justice. My dad asked me what happened at the start of the 4th quarter because it was so loud and I told him it was chaos. They started playing that song and the bench started jumping up and down and it just kept getting louder and louder. I've never been at a football game where there was so much energy.