Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Manning with Brady's receivers

That's a question that's been put forward a lot recently. How would Peyton Manning have fared if he had Brady's pre-2007 receivers? Hmm, 6 picks a game?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    That's a question that's been put forward a lot recently. How would Peyton Manning have fared if he had Brady's pre-2007 receivers? Hmm, 6 picks a game?

I'd rather have Brady's O-Line. He's been sacked, what, once or twice so far this season, with maybe twice that many hurries.

That kind of protection makes a good QB look invincible.
    "There can BE only one."

Yep. Of all people, I'm agreeing with Deion Sanders on this one -- all these years, we wondered what Brady could do with Manning's receivers. Now we know.

But we also now know what Manning does with less-than-Pro Bowl receivers (i.e. what Brady has had up until now).

not too much.

Yep, six interceptions is exceptional. Of course Manning was working with a bit less than Brady has generally had. The starting flanker and tight end were both out. The second, third and fourth leading receivers for the game equaled or surpassed their season stats in this single game. The Colts started the game with seventeen offensive players available and ended with fifteen. They started with their second string right tackle. Then he and his replacement were injured.

And if Venetari didn't miss the 29 yard chippie at the end the Colts still could have won.

Yes, it's quite reflective of the kind of quarterback that Payton Manning is that he didn't overhaul the entire offensive scheme and playbook of the Colts in a few weeks' time to beat the Chargers with Wayne and a couple of guys who haven't played all season. [sarcasm off]

Sure, he had an awful game. If we want to make comparisons, though, let's see what Manning would do with these guys after going through training camp with only them, and having an offensive philosophy installed that isn't predicated on throwing the deep ball so often.

I can't question Peyton's results or his football acumen, but it needs to be said: He throws a really ugly ball, and those happy feet of his look slightly ridiculous. Dear God, I probably would have drafted Ryan what's-his-name ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    I can't question Peyton's results or his football acumen, but it needs to be said: He throws a really ugly ball, and those happy feet of his look slightly ridiculous. Dear God, I probably would have drafted Ryan what's-his-name ahead of him.
    Can't disagree there. There's no question it's more aesthetically pleasing to watch other QBs, Brady and Favre especially, throw a football. The stuttering feet seem to have gotten worse in the last couple years, no? It's every pass now, like it's part of his timing to take 27 steps before he releases the ball. I would assume his QB coach or Dungy or someone has brought it to his attention, but maybe it's like the emporer's clothes.

I don't understand why Patriot fans have such a complex that they have to pile on a guy whose whole team is injured and was Brett Farving his butt off.

If Tombrady is representative of Boston fans, yikes.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    A particular type of Boston fan. Not the majority, but vocal and obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    It's every pass now, like it's part of his timing to take 27 steps before he releases the ball.
    Perhaps he's just trying to get more exercise?

As far as Manning goes, I kind of like the guy but I can't stand the constant fawning of the announcers. It drives me crazy. I swear you would have thought Indy was in the lead most of the game if you'd only listened to the announcers without actually watching the game.

And I could do with a few less Manning commercials, it seems like he's in even more than Jordan at his peak.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I don't understand why Patriot fans have such a complex that they have to pile on a guy whose whole team is injured and was Brett Farving his butt off.

No complex. I'll let the rings jingle for themselves.

And I could do with a few less Manning commercials, it seems like he's in even more than Jordan at his peak.
    http://www.stetsoncologne.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    Yeah, I remember something about the Five Layers of Protection, too. Oh, and the Diet Pepsi Machine trying out for the Patriots.

At least Manning can act...

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    Oh man, dbb03, thanks for that, you made my day!

I never said Brady doesn't do ads, but you don't see him as often as Manning, or even Dane Cook for that matter.

And when your print ads look like that, who needs to act?

no really. I'm awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    no really. I'm awesome.
    Here's a fun one-- will Peyton Manning thow for more TDs than Randy Moss will catch? Right now they are tied at 16 each.

Randy Moss had more total TD catches than 24 NFL teams have. Moss has caught more TDs than San Fran, Buffalo, and Minnesota have combined!!!

Sick-- the numbers are just sick.

The Pats are the league's top passing team-- yearh we all knew that-- but they are also the 5th best rushing team in the NFL. And it is not just because they have huge leads and just rush the ball the entire 2nd half-- they average 4.2 yards per rush, also among the tops in the league.

The Pats are on course to just crush the league's all-time scoring record. In 1998, Minnesota scored 556 total points, an average of 34.75 per game. The Pats are currently averaging an absurd 41.4 points per game. 41 and a half is pretty close to what the over-under is on many games during the NFL season. The Pats get there on their own.

Oh, and they have one of the top 3 or 4 defenses in the league too.

This is just off the charts. What will the pointspread be when they play the Dolphins on December 23rd in Foxboro? If it is not brutally cold and snowing (thereby holding down offensive production) could the Pats be a 30 point favorite? Would you take New England minus 30? I probably would.

--Jason "poor T.O.-- he is having the best season of his HOF career and no one is noticing" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "poor T.O.-- he is having the best season of his HOF career and no one is noticing" Evans
    That's the most delicious aspect of this.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is just off the charts. What will the pointspread be when they play the Dolphins on December 23rd in Foxboro? If it is not brutally cold and snowing (thereby holding down offensive production) could the Pats be a 30 point favorite? Would you take New England minus 30? I probably would.

what about the spread when the Jets come to town? I think the Patriots will come close to 80 pts.

I bet a friend at work lunch that the Pats will drop 100 on the Jets. I don't really expect to win that one but it would be amazing to see. Thanks Mangini!