Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    If you say so. Have you ever been to a Duke game at the Garden? The place DOES get transformed into its own version of Cameron. When J.J. went on a scoring spree against Oklahoma a couple of years ago, the place was louder than I've heard it for a Knicks game in years. (Well, that's not saying much.)

It's not a swipe. It's the truth -- MSG is Duke's home away from home. How on earth is that a "swipe?"
    Just like Greensboro and Charlotte are UNC's home away from home. And I'd say both gyms in those towns are probably louder than the sleepy Smith Center. Ahh, there's my swipe

Msg

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    Actually, this is a home game for Duke. We set up the game, get the refs, sell the tickets, get the money from the gate, get the arena, find an opponent, just as the home team should.

We just happen to choose to play the game in MSG.

You can easily take it to be a compliment if you look at things a different way.
    Don't you mean PAY the refs or OWN the refs

No need to pile on SilkyJ. In his/her defense, I also thought ESPN was making a reference to our lack of true road games, which would not be surprising--remember we just had a whole big thread about that topic and how sportswriters were criticizing us for it? Look, it doesn't really bother me and I certainly didn't think ESPN deserved to be called "jerks," but I do see SilkyJ's point that their line may have been a small reference to the way we tend to play away games on "neutral" or pro-Duke courts.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    No need to pile on SilkyJ. In his/her defense, I also thought ESPN was making a reference to our lack of true road games, which would not be surprising--remember we just had a whole big thread about that topic and how sportswriters were criticizing us for it? Look, it doesn't really bother me and I certainly didn't think ESPN deserved to be called "jerks," but I do see SilkyJ's point that their line may have been a small reference to the way we tend to play away games on "neutral" or pro-Duke courts.
    its a him for the record, and i've received an infraction for my apparently over the top comments so I'll just say word up.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    how much more of a complement do you want?\
    you mean like cameron outdoor stadium?

You've just told one poster to learn how to read, called me a jerk and -- in a thread where 90% of the posts disagree with you -- continue to lash out at people and refuse to acknowledge that you might be reading too much into a sentence in ESPN's power rankings.
    I read the sentence and came to my conclusion a long time ago. What a few people I barely know think won't change that.

some people disagree, some people disagree with "attitude" so that was the "jerk" comment which apparently I'm not allowed to make.

And you're telling me how to post. Got it.
    whew

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Wouldn't have been nice if they had said:

The Blue Devils, wanting to make sure their students have time to study for their exams and spend holiday time with their families, only play two games in four weeks.

It would be more true to what college athletics should be if all teams only were playing a couple of games in this period. Because the players are students they need time for school work. Because they are humans they might want to visit their families. The expectation that these 18 - 21 year olds exist for our entertainment benefit is sad.
    AMEN. A more-accurate post would be difficult to find. Thanks for saying this.

Lost in all of this is debate about Cameron Indoor North is the skew that Duke only plays 2 games in 4 weeks. Wanna know how you can say it...

Duke played Michigan on December 8 so if you start the clock on December 9 then 4 weeks takes you January 5, which is the day before Duke plays Cornell. So yeah, Duke only plays 2 games in 4 weeks which sounds much better than Duke only plays 4 games in 4 weeks and 2 days.

As for calling MSG "Cameron Indoor North" that may be a nice statement but of all the advantages of a "home" court the Garden passes only the crowd noise test. Of the things that come with a home court I would say that crowd noise is the most insignificant - as compared to familiarity with the court and routine of playing a game from your hometown. In fact, Duke is likely to be playing an opponent who has had more time on the Garden floor than the Devils given that the Big East Tournament is held there.

Len Hate Duke Elmore

I have never seen an announcer who so clearly dislikes one team.

It's time for a designated ESPN comment and criticism thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    It's time for a designated ESPN comment and criticism thread.
    Let's just put it on my Bickering Board. We'll rename it the Bickering, P!ssing, and Moaning Board.

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    Really? If he hated this team why would he have had them ranked 3rd on the list of the top 10 teams?

If he hated this team he would have spent 1/2 the game dissing Duke instead of calling Washington a flopper.

Just because you dislike a team doesn't mean you can't think they are good.

We don't like UNC but anyone who doesn't think they are good is on a different planet.

Question Len Elmore is the worst analyst in CBB.

Seriously what does he bring to the table as a analyst besides his deep hatred for Duke?? Add the fact that he lacks basketball knowledge, it is mind-boggling that ESPN actually pays him for what he does. I personally wouldn't let him be analyst for a pick-up game at the YCMA let alone a national televised College Basketball game.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001dukechamps View Post
    Seriously what does he bring to the table as a analyst besides his deep hatred for Duke?? Add the fact that he lacks basketball knowledge, it is mind-boggling that ESPN actually pays him for what he does. I personally wouldn't let him be analyst for a pick-up game at the YCMA let alone a national televised College Basketball game.
    I don't mind Elmore. But Mike Patrick kills me. The typical Mike Patrick call (and there's no less than 6 of these for every game he calls) goes something like this:

<Kyle Singler flies out of bounds and smacks his chin open>

Mike Patrick: You've just got to love DeMarcus Nelson's hustle there.
    Len: Actually, I think that's Kyle Singler.
    Mike: You're right Len, it is. Oh, and it looks like he's come up limping. The Blue Devil faithful won't like that.
    Len: Actually, I think he's cut his chin.
    Mike: And a foul on Singler.
    Len: Actually, it's just an official time out to clean up the blood.
    Mike: Blood on the floor in Lexington.
    Len: We're in Durham.
    Mike: Indeed. The capital city Len. Right you are...

Pantene Shampoo had a commercial back in the 80’s that featured actress/model, Kelly LeBrock. (She was the hot, sexy creation of the two nerds in the movie, Weird Science.) Anyway, the catch phrase that Kelly delivered in that commercial was, “Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful.” The reason that the commercial worked so well is that people are universally resentful of others’ beauty, success, fame, etc. Consequently, people will go to great lengths to be like those of whom they are envious, even while they try to destroy the objects of their jealousy.
    So it goes with Duke. We are all of those things, and people are insanely jealous. I say to all of them, “Don’t hate us because we are beautiful. Hate yourselves for being so damn ugly.”

We're number three ... according to Len

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    Funny, but I get the feeling these days that he hates nearly every team. I'm having more difficulty recognizing any team ('cept the turtles) that he actually enjoys watching.

As someone else said, BRING BACK VITALE! At least he loves every team. He enjoys his work.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by 2001dukechamps View Post
    Seriously what does he bring to the table as a analyst besides his deep hatred for Duke?? Add the fact that he lacks basketball knowledge....
    Excuse me, but the last time I checked, Len Elmore was a highly recruited prep star out of Power Memorial in New York City who attended the University of Maryland where he was a three-time All-ACC player and an All-American in 1974. He then went on to become a first round draft pick and later, an eight year veteran of the NBA. Elmore, also received a J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1987. Aside from his announcing duties, Elmore also serves as Senior Counsel with LeBoef, Lamb, Greene & MacRae in New York City and is President of the National Basketball Retired Players Association. He is also a member of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Atheltics.
    In short, he's your typical University of Maryland alumnus.

Wink Really?

Quote Originally Posted by NDMD View Post
    Excuse me, but the last time I checked, Len Elmore was...
    In short, he's your typical University of Maryland alumnus.
    I had no idea he threw batteries at opposing teams, wore t-shirts that directed personal expletives at other players or...

Wait! Hearing all about Maryland's remarkably low athlete graduation rate, I didn't know there was a typical alumnus who played basketball. I suppose he perfectly represents a subset of one.

Stu Yarborough

Whenever I get disturbed by Len Elmore and his comments, I remember Len's last game at Cameron where unheralded Stu Yarborough, our 6' 5" substitute "center", rather embarrassed him. I think that has colored his perception of Duke to this day.

Teton Jack

Cry Me a River

We are all of those things, and people are insanely jealous. I say to all of them, “Don’t hate us because we are beautiful. Hate yourselves for being so damn ugly.”
    Jealousy....it swings both ways.