Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Refusing to call a time out during an opponent's big run is SUCH a Dean Smith thing. Hope Dean was beaming ear to ear when he saw how Ol' Roy was upholding the tradition.

Y' know K did that a couple times this year so its not just a UNC thing. Its a gamble by coaches to see how their kids will respond, sometimes letting them bottom out and work through it can be effective, other times a scream fest is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Y' know K did that a couple times this year so its not just a UNC thing. Its a gamble by coaches to see how their kids will respond, sometimes letting them bottom out and work through it can be effective, other times a scream fest is in order.
    During a regular season game, it could be considered a learning opportunity.

In the Final Four, not calling the t.o. is a self-inflicted wound.

He did it against Belmont too.

To me the coaching statement of the game was the opening play of the 2nd half, a clearly diagrammed play by Kansas that worked to perfection and caught Carolina flat footed.

I love when Billy Packer said, "if you go into the Kansas locker room right now, that play is written on the drawing board."

Self knew he needed a play to make sure Kansas did not wilt early and he got one. A little while later, after Carolina had made it really close, I saw Kansas go to a few more well-designed plays for alley-oop slams. Those are what broke open the game for a 2nd time. Self saw that there was a big hole in Carolina's helpside D and he exploited it.

Roy is a fine coach and an amazing recruiter, but he was outcoached last night, for sure.

-Jason "Self really answered some questions about himself as a coach the past week" Evans

CBS can't be too pleased now. Those Monday night ratings are likely to be pretty low.

The General was on the money in his pre game comments about the sort of game we'd see in the second game last night. Bobby Knight's contributions in game analysis were excellent. It would be great to see him become a regular on ESPN during the college basketball season. The comments made by other former coaches turned analysts wilt in comparison.

i don't like bobby knight...but i will admit that his commentary is light years ahead of his counterparts..

could we PUHLEEEZE get him on a show with stephen A.??? and have plenty of chairs available.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    CBS can't be too pleased now. Those Monday night ratings are likely to be pretty low.
    I would not have watched if UNC won. Now, I'm on board...

Just watched their synopsis a few minutes ago with V saying in his joking way he's "still sticking with unc!!!" Ugh. Meanwhile, Knight's just looking straight-ahead with a deadpan look like he heard nothing. Good man there in Bobby. Knight's been so good to watch since he's been on air--think it's because he's more interested in explaining the important things (the teams, coaches, strategy, x's & o's) than he is in showing his "personality" which still comes out naturally without being forced like with the usual suspects. Digger's a joke, Bilas has almost made me forget he used to wear the colors with pride, V's perpetually trying too hard (but for this whole year he's allowed a pass for what he fought back from), Davis is a non factor to me (though I'd love to see Stuart Scott moping today. . .), and Elmore--geez, if there was ever a candidate to have someone NOT on air to ever be seen or heard from again, it'd be the King of all Haters.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    During a regular season game, it could be considered a learning opportunity.

In the Final Four, not calling the t.o. is a self-inflicted wound.
    UNC cut the Kansas lead to 15-10 with 13;24 left in the first half. The Kansas lead had expanded to 35-12 with 7:51 left in the half, a 20-2 run in about 5 and a half minutes.

I wonder how many of the UNC fans thought "That's OK. We must not be in trouble since we still have all of our timeouts left!"

UNC finally called their first timeout after the next 3 pointer made it 38-12.

And wise Ol' Roy still had 3 of his 5 timeouts left after Kansas scored to make it 80-61 with 1:44 left in the second half. Just enough time for that miracle rally.

Smile Time Flies

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Digger's semi-final game loss to Duke was thirty years ago.
    Time flies when you're having fun!

sagegrouse

Maybe he didn't call a time out....

...because he couldn't think of anything to tell his guys? It sure wouldn't do them any good for him to just stand there and scratch his head while they drank their water!

A stark comparison would be what the camera inside the time out with Coach Danowski during the waxing of JHU last evening showed us. He had plenty to say and it also showed how much he trusts his players judgements, gathering info from them as well.

Love, Ima

Stark Comparison

At Minneapolis in 2001 when Duke was losing to UMd 38-16, Coach K called time-out and said:

"You're playing like you're afraid to lose. What are you afraid of -- losing by 40 points? You're already losing by 20!"

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    Given the crying Greenburg has done re:Cameron and the way Washington plays I think I wish they were
    So do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    ...because he couldn't think of anything to tell his guys? It sure wouldn't do them any good for him to just stand there and scratch his head while they drank their water!

A stark comparison would be what the camera inside the time out with Coach Danowski during the waxing of JHU last evening showed us. He had plenty to say and it also showed how much he trusts his players judgements, gathering info from them as well.

Love, Ima
    Nah, Budwom's right. It's a Dean thing.

Timeout no timeout can be debated but how does a team like UNC let things get that bad?

Cause Roy can't coach and he didn't have them prepared for the game.

When Duke trailed Maryland I felt Coach K could get them back.

What would he have said in the timeout, try this "well damn gumit I don't know what to say but that I don't think I know how to coach."

I will not give Roy any credit for being a good coach until he wins a title with a team he recruited.