Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New Mexico State Pre-game and In-Game Thread

Lost to Ohio last night, 80-72. Had a rough night from long range, 6-28, if this box score is to be believed. Should be an uptempo game in Cameron, however.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=273130195

NM State

Wow ... the loss at Ohio was a shocker.

New Mexico State is supposed to be pretty good this season. They have three starters back off a team that won 25 games last season and they are the preseason favorite in the WAC (ahead of a Nevada team that's been pretty darn good the last few years).

Plus they are big ... really big.

Their returning core is 6-4 junior PG Fred Peete, 6-7 big guard Justin Hawkins (who averaged 15.6 ppg. last season) and 6-9 Hatila Passos. 7-1 Martin Iti (who transferred from Charlotte) came off the bench last year, but is also an option to start this year.

A lot of the optimism for this year comes from two newcomers -- 6-9 freshman Herb Pope was a top 25 recruit from Pittsburgh. And 6-4 juco transfer Paris Carter was a second-team juco All-American.

The new coach Marvin Menzies replaced Reggie Theus when he left for the NBA. Menzies is a Rick Pitino protege and would like to run and force tempo.

It will be interesting to see if he tries that Monday ... and also to see how big he chooses to go -- he could go 7-1, 6-9, 6-8 up front with a 6-7, 6-4 backcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Wow ... the loss at Ohio was a shocker.

New Mexico State is supposed to be pretty good this season. They have three starters back off a team that won 25 games last season and they are the preseason favorite in the WAC (ahead of a Nevada team that's been pretty darn good the last few years).

Plus they are big ... really big.

Their returning core is 6-4 junior PG Fred Peete, 6-7 big guard Justin Hawkins (who averaged 15.6 ppg. last season) and 6-9 Hatila Passos. 7-1 Martin Iti (who transferred from Charlotte) came off the bench last year, but is also an option to start this year.

A lot of the optimism for this year comes from two newcomers -- 6-9 freshman Herb Pope was a top 25 recruit from Pittsburgh. And 6-4 juco transfer Paris Carter was a second-team juco All-American.

The new coach Marvin Menzies replaced Reggie Theus when he left for the NBA. Menzies is a Rick Pitino protege and would like to run and force tempo.

It will be interesting to see if he tries that Monday ... and also to see how big he chooses to go -- he could go 7-1, 6-9, 6-8 up front with a 6-7, 6-4 backcourt.
    If so they better shoot and rebound real well or they will get run of the court with that lineup.

O-Fan - Pope's been sidelined by the NCAA Clearinghouse. I'm betting he's not going to be available for the game at Duke and I'd even wager that he's won't see the court at all this year.

Ohio was a 3-pt favorite against NMSU. Ohio is expected to contend for the MAC championship this season so I don't think NMSU losing there is that surprising.

Wasn't Pope shot at some party recently (within the past year)? Does that have anything to do with why he's not playing?

Yes and no. He was shot but he's recovered and can play but there are some transcript issues which are keeping him off the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Ohio was a 3-pt favorite against NMSU. Ohio is expected to contend for the MAC championship this season so I don't think NMSU losing there is that surprising.
    Agreed. Ohio has been a pretty formidable mid-major for a few years now.

NMSU will bring size to the court something that Duke hasn't experienced yet this year. It will be interesting to see how our full court press performs against a larger line-up. Will they pass over the top of our traps? NCCU, Barton, & Shaw were smaller line-ups but NMSU will be bigger than Duke except when Zoubek is on the court. This could be a game where Zoubek plays increased minutes if he can avoid foul trouble. That's a nice segue to this question: How much zone will we play? This is a good early season match-up as NMSU represents the type of team we could see in the early rounds of the NCAA tournament.
    Bob Green

Just wondering ...

As per Indoor66's comments, I wonder how soon before Nolan "Richardson" and the 40 minutes of hell wears down the Devils' opponents? In other words, how's THEIR bench?

WOW! Wondering about an opponent's bench, and not our own! I could get into this!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. Next thing you know, we'll be sporting the Tarkanian Amoeba Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    As per Indoor66's comments, I wonder how soon before Nolan "Richardson" and the 40 minutes of hell wears down the Devils' opponents? In other words, how's THEIR bench?

WOW! Wondering about an opponent's bench, and not our own! I could get into this!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. Next thing you know, we'll be sporting the Tarkanian Amoeba Defense.
    Pleeeese - no more Richardson or Tarkanian analogies. It is early Sunday morning here!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckywang View Post
    Agreed. Ohio has been a pretty formidable mid-major for a few years now.
    A lose by almost anyone playing at Ohio is not a shocker--always tough to beat in Athens.

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    A lose by almost anyone playing at Ohio is not a shocker--always tough to beat in Athens.
    Athens is where I became a college BB fan.

pope

Thanks for the update on Pope ... I was wondering why he didn't play Friday night. I obviously know nothing about his situation, but knowing how the NCAA works, I think it unlikely that if he's ineligible Friday night, he'd be eligible for Monday night.

Their other touted newcomer (Paris Carter) had a horrible shooting night at Ohio as did Peete, their other perimeter gunner. Iti was not much of a factor. Based solely on the box score, the only guy who played well was 6-7 small forward (that's the position he played at Ohio) Justin Hawkins.

It will be interesting to see G Henderson match up with him ... or will D Nelson take him?

Anyone care to offer predictions on a final score?

Prediction

Duke 112
    NMST 63

Singler 23
    Henderson 18
    Nelson 17

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll mention that ESPN Insider in tandem with Blue Ribbon Yearbook has a free preview with their report on New Mexico State:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insid...3fid%3d3038960

I found it a little surprising to see how highly New Mexico State is graded by them in all four categories: B+ to A-. I have a feeling that this game could be a little more challenging than some Duke fans expect, though I still expect Duke to win by a decent margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Based solely on the box score, the only guy who played well was 6-7 small forward (that's the position he played at Ohio) Justin Hawkins.

It will be interesting to see G Henderson match up with him ... or will D Nelson take him?
    Containing Hawkins will definitely be a priority for our defense. He played 37 minutes in the game against Ohio so while Henderson and/or Nelson will guard him as starters, who takes over when the substituting starts? I would guess Scheyer. McClure, if he is healthy enough to play, is a prime candidate.

It will be interesting to see who starts for Duke. Everybody played a good game against NCCU, but I'm wondering if King or Scheyer, who both played exceptional, earned a start with their performance? I think it is possible but I will not go as far as saying it is probable. NMSU is big so does Zoubek start? I doubt it. At this point, I comfortable with all our players. The scenarios and combinations are endless.

I'm not going to try to predict the final score or how many points individual players will tally because I would just be guessing. I believe NMSU is talented and will stay close throughout the first half but our pressure and their short rotation will result in a Duke victory by a significant margin. I will communicate a couple of hopes: 1) I hope Zoubek stays out of foul trouble and makes a difference defensively; 2) I hope 5+ players score in double-digits; 3) I hope 10 players log double-digit minutes; 4) I hope we force turnovers while not turning it over ourselves; 5) and, I hope we make our free throws. Oh yeah, most important, I hope we win!!!

I think that's enough even though I could go on!
    Last edited by Bob Green; 11-12-2007 at 06:34 AM. Reason: add prediction
    Bob Green

In the DBR preview, it was mentioned that the NM St coach is a disciple of Rick Pitino and wondered if that meant he would press and run. Well, one piece of evidence is that there were 74 possessions in Fridays NMSt-Ohio game. Last year's Division I average tempo was 67 possessions (Duke averaged 64 and had 84 possessions last night). Of course, one game is not much to go on, and it's unclear if the fast pace in the NMSt-Ohio game was due to NM St running, or Ohio, but it's one piece of evidence suggesting that NMSt could try a fast game.

Considering they could give Duke match-up problems in half-court defense, I don't consider that a wise move, though. I'm excited to see our team perform against taller opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I think that's enough even though I could go on!
    Your retired now and allowed to "go on". It is not my dime you're spending.