Thread: Hotlanta

Hotlanta

I will be at a conference at the Renaissance Hotel in midtown (although I'm using free Microtel nights up in Sandy Springs and riding MARTA a lot).

I've got some time to blow between my Sunday morning session and my 4pm flight. I'm car-less, so the obvious thing to me to do is to head over to Jocks & Jills Midtown and get lubricated before my flight.

I'd be happy to meet up with any DBRers who want to defile the Sabbath with me.

Oh, and Breen, Delta upgraded me to first class and I'm only silver medallion. Ha!

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Oh, and Breen, Delta upgraded me to first class and I'm only silver medallion. Ha!
    You're the man. Preparing to fly back and forth to Heathrow for 48 hours on AA next week. Business class. Rawk.

I will be at a conference at the Renaissance Hotel in midtown (although I'm using free Microtel nights up in Sandy Springs and riding MARTA a lot).
    The Sandy Springs Microtel... MARTA... wow, you're really going in style.

I remember when I got all excited when my upgrades cleared. Now I get PO'd when they don't. Like NRT-BKK in a couple weeks.. the UA segment famous for not clearing until the gate no matter what your status is.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I remember when I got all excited when my upgrades cleared. Now I get PO'd when they don't. Like NRT-BKK in a couple weeks.. the UA segment famous for not clearing until the gate no mater what your status is.
    I don't think I want to travel enough to have that kind of juice. 50-60k miles per year is about the limit of my sanity.

Talking

I've got some time to blow between my Sunday morning session and my 4pm flight. I'm car-less, so the obvious thing to me to do is to head over to Jocks & Jills Midtown and get lubricated before my flight.

Dang, Throaty! PM me. I'm up in East Cobb, take MARTA, and pass through Sandy Springs. Perhaps we can do something ... and share a Sweetwater Brew!

And no ... that's not what I'd do before your flight.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    I don't think I want to travel enough to have that kind of juice. 50-60k miles per year is about the limit of my sanity.
    Every year I tell myself, I'm not going to go for 1K again... I'm not going to go for 1K again... it's too much flying... it's not worth it... Then something happens late in the year that makes me really happy I have it.

I only manage one or two serendipitous upgrades a year that I didn't put in for, and they're always on short flights like ORD-IAD.

The Sandy Springs Microtel... MARTA... wow, you're really going in style.
    On the MARTA part, if you can avoid driving in Atlanta, it's worth it. TRUST me! It's a 90-120 minute commute for me each way; with MARTA, it's a little less.

That would be East Cobb to Emory, or about 20 miles.

Throaty is wise!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Every year I tell myself, I'm not going to go for 1K again... I'm not going to go for 1K again... it's too much flying... it's not worth it... Then something happens late in the year that makes me really happy I have it.

I only manage one or two serendipitous upgrades a year that I didn't put in for, and they're always on short flights like ORD-IAD.
    Yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised by my success on American Platinum, and I'm blissfully ignorant of just how much better Executive would be.

Granted, with this trip to London, I will be north of 25k miles in one month, so I guess 100k isn't out of the question. Maybe next year is the year. I finally broke down and signed up for ExpertFlyer yesterday. My resolve is weakening . . .

I have another conference to go to later in the year. While my Dept has more $$$ than the one at MSU did, free is free and it helps.

And why anyone would want to spend any time in a vehicle in Atlanta now is beyond me.

Lavabe, I'll get up with you although maybe not this evening as me and the Missus are at Mahler 4 at StL symphony.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

And why anyone would want to spend any time in a vehicle in Atlanta now is beyond me.
    I agree, especially if you remove the words in a vehicle.

Hotlanta

contact Earljam/Stephen5282(or something like that)/Wilson/Lavabe/ and of course our resident post-a-matic. The Brickhouse Pub is superb for Belgian ales

Talking Talk about a sustainable Belgian Room

As per devildeac's comments, you'll be pleased to know that the Decatur Brickstore Pub is a block from the Decatur MARTA train station. Transfer from the North South line at Five Points, and get on the East-West line going East to DECATUR station. MARTA won't take you directly to Turner Stadium (you take a shuttle bus from Five Points), but it WILL take you to the Brickstore Pub. WHAT A COUNTRY!

If you don't know already, the Sandy Springs MARTA station is about a half-mile from the Microtel, with taxi service, depending on the hour. On this weekend, there will be repairs on some MARTA lines, so you'll have to change trains at Lindbergh Station to get to & from Sandy Springs. Here's a link:
    http://www.itsmarta.com/newsroom/lat...ingletrack.htm

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Please bring your own water.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    Please bring your own water.
    You ain't kidding. At a restaurant last night I ordered water to drink and they told me they only served bottled water. No tap water because they are conserving. I almost got mad, but then I was really happy. I think that is a nice effort, even if it is really meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

--Jason "I had root beer instead-- mmmmm, root beer!" Evans

Save water, drink beer.

OK, assuming Brickhouse is open on Sunday, let's make it there. I'm shooting for noon.

Gonna call Evans and Lavabe.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Save water, drink beer.

OK, assuming Brickhouse is open on Sunday, let's make it there. I'm shooting for noon.

Gonna call Evans and Lavabe.
    Got your message. It's the Brickstore Pub in Decatur ... as opposed to the Brickery (in Sandy Springs).

It's open at Noon. Will be there. Need a ride or anything to save time? I'll be passing by your Microtel/Sandy Springs anyway.

Got to work, and must attend a student recital tomorrow later in the afternoon, so noon is fine.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Got your message. It's the Brickstore Pub in Decatur ... as opposed to the Brickery (in Sandy Springs).

It's open at Noon. Will be there. Need a ride or anything to save time? I'll be passing by your Microtel/Sandy Springs anyway.

Got to work, and must attend a student recital tomorrow later in the afternoon, so noon is fine.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I'll be coming from Renaissance Hotel at North Ave MARTA stop, so I'm mostly likely cool.

Where is this place in relation to the Decatur MARTA?

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Follow the signs to the Belgian Room

I'll be coming from Renaissance Hotel at North Ave MARTA stop, so I'm mostly likely cool.

Where is this place in relation to the Decatur MARTA?
    Get on the Southbound (Airport) train to Five Points Station (about three stops). Get off train here, and get on the Eastbound (Indian Creek) train. Decatur is the 6th stop. Once off the train in Decatur you have two choices:

1) Follow signs to Court Square (East) ... lots of shops and restaurants beside the courthouse. This takes you west barely a block on Sycamore. You'll see E Court Square on your right (north) about a half block north, and the Brickstore Pub is on the right side.

2) From the station, get onto Church St. and make a left (north). Take about a block north to Ponce de Leon. Make a left onto Ponce, and walk one block west until you get to E Court Sq (your first left). Make a left, and the Pub is about 100 ft on your left.

If either one of us gets there first, get seats in the Belgian Room upstairs.

You have my cell in case you get lost. They open at Noon. If you get there early, check out the Belgian Room beer menu.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You ain't kidding. At a restaurant last night I ordered water to drink and they told me they only served bottled water. No tap water because they are conserving. I almost got mad, but then I was really happy. I think that is a nice effort, even if it is really meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

--Jason "I had root beer instead-- mmmmm, root beer!" Evans

There's a place in Athens that only serves bottled water and they charge $4.00 per bottle. It's the 16 oz Aquafina bottles too, which you can buy 12 at Kroger for the same price or cheaper. I think they're taking advantage of this water shortage and making quite the profit.