Question Need a Good Financal Advisor

My husband and I are looking for a financial advisor in the Raleigh, Durham, CH area. We want someone to give us good advice so we can retire early, but not someone who will constantly try to get us to buy into funds he sells.

Any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post
    My husband and I are looking for a financial advisor in the Raleigh, Durham, CH area. We want someone to give us good advice so we can retire early, but not someone who will constantly try to get us to buy into funds he sells.

Any suggestions??
    ditch the broker and buy an index fund.

Kuhn and Carson

Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post

Any suggestions??
    The old professor and I use Kuhn and Carson in Durham. I don't know whether or not you are affiliated with Duke, but one of the reasons we like them is that they are very familiar with Duke plans and systems, etc. We find they have no "agenda" except to look out for us. They are available when we have questions and their office is easy to get to.

Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    ditch the broker and buy an index fund.
    If you decide to take tombrady's advice, you should at least make sure it's a global fund. But, K&C has been getting us a better return than any index we've seen around for about six years now, bless their hearts.
    Love, Ima

Tombrady's recommendation is a solid one, but rather than just buying one index fund I'd recommend buying a few separate ones so that you have an asset allocation that you prefer. You can find index funds that cover almost anything, so if you want a % of certain foreign markets or certain sectors you can do that. It's possible that a manager would beat the index, but most managers, after fees, don't do so. It's only when you're investing tons of money and get into some of the private equity arenas etc (areas that take lost of money to play in) that it starts making a lot of sense. You can't get into those deals without going with one of the private equity funds.

To summarize, go with index funds, choosing an allocation that makes sense. You can even talk to some managers to get an idea of what they would suggest and then go buy those yourself.

financial advisor

We have already invested in lots of different funds through work 401Ks. I think we're in pretty good shape for post 65 life. But we need advice on the best way to save enough money for early retirement without getting hit with penalties for spending 401K monies early. And yes, we are affiliated with Duke, so I'll take a look at K&C.