Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Usless info on Soda Pop

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Nope, New Bern
    Yep, you are right. New Bern was the birthplace of Pepsi.
    Atlanta was the place or origin for Coke.
    Doc Pepper? Waco Texas
    Mtn Dew? Knoxville, TN
    RC Cola: Columbus, GA
    Root Beer: Philly, PA
    Ginger Ale: North -o- the border in Toronto
    7-up: St. Louis MO

In Australia and New Zealand, "soft drink" almost always refers to carbonated beverages.
    In some parts of Australia, the term "lolly water" was synonymous with "soft drink",

In Bulgaria, the name for soft drinks is газирани напитки (gazirani napitki) or simply газирано (gazirano, "something fizzy").

In Canada, "pop" is the most commonly used term among English speakers to refer to a carbonated soft drink. "Soda" is almost never used.
    In French, a "soft drink" is referred to as "boisson gazeuse", or informally as "liqueur" or "liqueur douce" (but never "boisson douce", the literal translation of "soft drink"). The use of "liqueur" in this fashion is distinctly Canadian French; in France, "liqueur" refers to a very specific set of aperitif and digestive alcoholic drinks.

In Denmark the name for soft drinks is sodavand, which directly translated means soda water. The term sodavand is exclusively used for non-alcoholic, carbonated soft drinks like Coca-Cola, Pepsi and Fanta.

In Ethiopia, soft drinks are generally known by the Amharic word "leslassa", meaning literally "smooth".
    The popular brand names "Koka" (Coke) and "Mirinda" (Orange Soda) are also in common parlance.

In German, soft drinks are known as Limo short for Limonade, the German word for lemonade, but in America lemonade is an uncarbonated beverage, generally not considered a soft drink. Some regions also use Sprudel (from sprudeln=to be fizzy) or Brause (in eastern Germany) for carbonated non-alcoholic drinks. However, Fruchtschorle is one of the most popular soft drinks in Germany, but it is never called Limo since it contains no added sugar.

In the Spanish-speaking countries of Latin America, soft drinks are typically called refrescos, and less frequently, gaseosas.

In the Philippines, soft drinks are also called soft drinks, but locally, it is spelled and pronounced sopdrinks. It is more commonly referred to as "Coke," regardless of the brand.

In the United States, "soft drink" commonly refers to cold, non-alcoholic beverages. Carbonated beverages are regionally known as:
    "Coke", regardless of the brand or flavour, in most of the South, including New Mexico and southern Oklahoma. Some older generations of Southerners refer to soft drinks as "dope".
    "Pop" in most of the upper Midwest as far east as Cleveland, Ohio, and into the western part of the Northeast; including such cities as Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Erie, Pennsylvania,
    "Soda" in the Northeast, the southwest (California, Nevada, Arizona, and Texas, the southeastern-settled parts of Florida (near Miami) and parts of the Midwest (around St. Louis and parts of eastern Wisconsin, especially in the area of Milwaukee).
    "Soda pop" is used by some speakers especially in the mountain west.
    "Drink" or "cold drink" are locally common in southern Virginia and the Carolinas, spreading from there as far as Louisiana.
    "Cold drink" is the phrase of choice in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Yep, you are right. New Bern was the birthplace of Pepsi.
    Atlanta was the place or origin for Coke.
    Doc Pepper? Waco Texas
    Mtn Dew? Knoxville, TN
    RC Cola: Columbus, GA
    Root Beer: Philly, PA
    Ginger Ale: North -o- the border in Toronto
    7-up: St. Louis MO

In Australia and New Zealand, "soft drink" almost always refers to carbonated beverages.
    In some parts of Australia, the term "lolly water" was synonymous with "soft drink",

In Bulgaria, the name for soft drinks is газирани напитки (gazirani napitki) or simply газирано (gazirano, "something fizzy").

In Canada, "pop" is the most commonly used term among English speakers to refer to a carbonated soft drink. "Soda" is almost never used.
    In French, a "soft drink" is referred to as "boisson gazeuse", or informally as "liqueur" or "liqueur douce" (but never "boisson douce", the literal translation of "soft drink"). The use of "liqueur" in this fashion is distinctly Canadian French; in France, "liqueur" refers to a very specific set of aperitif and digestive alcoholic drinks.

In Denmark the name for soft drinks is sodavand, which directly translated means soda water. The term sodavand is exclusively used for non-alcoholic, carbonated soft drinks like Coca-Cola, Pepsi and Fanta.

In Ethiopia, soft drinks are generally known by the Amharic word "leslassa", meaning literally "smooth".
    The popular brand names "Koka" (Coke) and "Mirinda" (Orange Soda) are also in common parlance.

In German, soft drinks are known as Limo short for Limonade, the German word for lemonade, but in America lemonade is an uncarbonated beverage, generally not considered a soft drink. Some regions also use Sprudel (from sprudeln=to be fizzy) or Brause (in eastern Germany) for carbonated non-alcoholic drinks. However, Fruchtschorle is one of the most popular soft drinks in Germany, but it is never called Limo since it contains no added sugar.

In the Spanish-speaking countries of Latin America, soft drinks are typically called refrescos, and less frequently, gaseosas.

In the Philippines, soft drinks are also called soft drinks, but locally, it is spelled and pronounced sopdrinks. It is more commonly referred to as "Coke," regardless of the brand.

In the United States, "soft drink" commonly refers to cold, non-alcoholic beverages. Carbonated beverages are regionally known as:
    "Coke", regardless of the brand or flavour, in most of the South, including New Mexico and southern Oklahoma. Some older generations of Southerners refer to soft drinks as "dope".
    "Pop" in most of the upper Midwest as far east as Cleveland, Ohio, and into the western part of the Northeast; including such cities as Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Erie, Pennsylvania,
    "Soda" in the Northeast, the southwest (California, Nevada, Arizona, and Texas, the southeastern-settled parts of Florida (near Miami) and parts of the Midwest (around St. Louis and parts of eastern Wisconsin, especially in the area of Milwaukee).
    "Soda pop" is used by some speakers especially in the mountain west.
    "Drink" or "cold drink" are locally common in southern Virginia and the Carolinas, spreading from there as far as Louisiana.
    "Cold drink" is the phrase of choice in New Orleans, Louisiana.
    And now we know...interesting facts, indeed. But of course, Coke is the only acceptable choice.

Welcome, ugadevil

Just wanted to point out,, that being a Georgia boy, my DAWG is in honor of old UGA even though I did not go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Welcome, ugadevil

Just wanted to point out,, that being a Georgia boy, my DAWG is in honor of old UGA even though I did not go there.

Thanks for the welcome Bluedawg. I'd wondered if your logo was intended to be something supporting UGA. I actually was fortunate enough to have my picture taken with Uga, the bulldog, on Friday night (one of the privileges of being a student worker for the Alumni Association). Evidently, I'd been holding something earlier in my hand that he wanted to lick and it did not sit well with him. He proceeded to cough up something on the floor in front of me. It's safe to say that I was horrified that I'd somehow given the dog an allergic reaction and killed the university's beloved mascot. No worries though, all was well and Uga lives on.

Lavabe: I read about the story with the owner from the Grit. It seems to just get sadder the more you hear about it because it sounds like a suicide. Strangely, it's the second time because it's believed that he recently stepped in front of an oncoming car. Very sad story.

Best Southern meal: Carolina's a$s on a plate.

I just wanted to say that.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

Fantastic, but aren't those things poisonous?

southern meal

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

Deep-fried, grilled, slow-roasted or just plain beaten beyond recognition?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I'm a big fan of shrimp 'n' grits and cheddar cheese.

I even made it one time using Crook's Corner's recipe. It pained me knowing I was making a dish from a place located in the dump on the hump.
    I hope it'll make you feel better to know that the late Bill Neal, founder of CC, was a Duke grad...something I didn't know until reading Remembering Bill Neal by his former wife Moreton Neal, also a Duke grad.