Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best Southern Meal?

This past week, I was fortunate enough to have dinner at the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle, GA. Social Circle is a few miles off I-20 between Atlanta and Augusta and I highly recommend it if you ever get a chance to stop by.

The menu is southern cooking to the core. A buffet of fried chicken, fried pork chops, ham, and a variety of vegetables that are either fried or cooked in a pan full of butter. Also, wonderful soups, cornbread and an entire plate full of desserts. And to drink, Sweet Tea that probably makes you 10x more likely to become diabetic.

The meal there made me wonder what everyone would consider their favorite "southern meal". I almost feel like some sort of deep fried item should be a requirement for it to qualify as southern but I think anyone can make a case for a good southern meal.

So I pose my question, what is/are your favorite "southern" foods or meals?

Glorious Food

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    This past week, I was fortunate enough to have dinner at the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle, GA. Social Circle is a few miles off I-20 between Atlanta and Augusta and I highly recommend it if you ever get a chance to stop by.

The menu is southern cooking to the core. A buffet of fried chicken, fried pork chops, ham, and a variety of vegetables that are either fried or cooked in a pan full of butter. Also, wonderful soups, cornbread and an entire plate full of desserts. And to drink, Sweet Tea that probably makes you 10x more likely to become diabetic.

The meal there made me wonder what everyone would consider their favorite "southern meal". I almost feel like some sort of deep fried item should be a requirement for it to qualify as southern but I think anyone can make a case for a good southern meal.

So I pose my question, what is/are your favorite "southern" foods or meals?
    What, no hushpuppies? [Obligate reference to another thread]
    What, no 'cue? [Obligate reference to another thread]

Without straying into other threads, a good shrimp 'n' grits is hard to beat.

Blue Willow IS good food!

Technically, the Brunswick Stew and a good Belgian Ale are dandy at the Brickstore Pub in Decatur!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Breakfast

Country Ham (sliced pretty thick and very salty)
    Fried Eggs (that you can smush up in your . . . )
    Grits (the real kind that take about 45 minutes to cook)
    Biscuits (w/ blackberry jam)
    Sliced tomatoes in season (plop one down right in the middle of your grits)

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I'm a big fan of shrimp 'n' grits and cheddar cheese.

I even made it one time using Crook's Corner's recipe. It pained me knowing I was making a dish from a place located in the dump on the hump.

I too am a big fan of shrimp and grits. I also really like a good pot roast or a giant plate of fried chicken livers. They have really good ones at the Colonnade in Atlanta.

Potted Meat, Saltine Crackers, RC Cola, Moon Pie

Southern New Years Day:
    Hoppin John
    Roast pork
    Collard greens
    Cornbread
    Watermelon rind pickles
    ~rthomas

Favorite meal when in Arkansas

Fried catfish
    hushpuppies
    any veggie will do
    pecan pie

Fried Chicken
    Potato Salad
    Baked Beans
    Pecan Pie
    Tom Mac

as a somewhat observant Jew i am precluded from enjoying many Southern Delicacies . . .

But my favorite is the classic:

Large Buttermilk Biscuits
    Scrambled Eggs
    Slow Cooked Gritz

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Fear not! On the weekends, Blue Willow features their seafood along with the tradiitonal southern stuff. Fried catfish, fried shrimp, multiple kinds of crab, and hushpuppies are all included on the menu. I think they bring out the BBQ too!

I've never had Shrimp n Grits but I might try it tomorrow night at a great local place here in Athens. Just curious, how is the shrimp prepared when they do it? Fried?

southern meal

Blue Willow IS good food!

Technically, the Brunswick Stew and a good Belgian Ale are dandy at the Brickstore Pub in Decatur!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    WHAT, no collards?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    WHAT, no collards?????????????
    You are mean!

ugadevil: Not sure if the Willow does the shrimp & grits, but Athens has a few places that do it. I've had shrimp 'n' grits different ways; fried shrimp, shrimp w/cajun spices, shrimp broiled, shrimp boiled, shrimp sauteed, barbecued shrimp, shrimp w/jalapenos, ... [obligate Forrest Gump reference]. Here in Atlanta, the Buckhead Bakery has some of the tastiest shrimp 'n' grits I've ever had. Gladys & Ron's does a good version too.

Which Athens place? My one semester teaching there was a lot of fun!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

You are mean!

Which Athens place? My one semester teaching there was a lot of fun!
    Well we're going with some friends from Auburn to Last Resort because they've heard all about it and wanted to try it. I thought they had Shrimp n Grits but after checking the menu, it's salmon n grits they serve, not shrimp.

Any places you ate at in Athens that you'd recommend? I'm always looking try new ones.

Southern food

things not yet mentioned for breakfast:
    red-eye gravy on those grits.
    take one of those homemade biscuits, poke a hole in the side with your finger and pour molasses in.

lunch - thick slices of super ripe tomato on white bread with lots of mayo, salt & pepper

dinner - I am happy with a veggie plate - just about any kind of vegetable, but it should include fried okra

calzone with real ricotta cheese
    fresh corn on the cob with buttah
    whole wheat buttah rolls
    fresh garden spinach--sauteed
    tossed lettuce/tomato/avacado salad w/blue cheese dressing
    broccoli/cheese casserole
    eggplant parmesan

rhubarb pie

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Well we're going with some friends from Auburn to Last Resort because they've heard all about it and wanted to try it. I thought they had Shrimp n Grits but after checking the menu, it's salmon n grits they serve, not shrimp.

Any places you ate at in Athens that you'd recommend? I'm always looking try new ones.
    Make sure someone orders the red velvet cake . . . its other-worldly.

Six Feet Under across the street from Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta also has fantastic shrimp & grits, but that's far from the only fantastic thing they have...one of my favorite places in town.

Grits

In 1976, South Carolina declared grits the official state food:

Whereas, throughout its history, the South has relished its grits, making them a symbol of its diet, its customs, its humor, and its hospitality, and whereas, every community in the State of south Carolina used to be the site of a grist mill and every local economy in the State used to be dependent on its product; and whereas, grits has been a part of the life of every South Carolinian of whatever race, background, gender, and income; and whereas, grits could very well play a vital role in the future of not only this State, but also the world, if as The Charleston News and Courier proclaimed in 1952: 'An inexpensive, simple, and thoroughly digestible food, [grits] should be made popular throughout the world. given enough of it, the inhabitants of planet Earth would have nothing to fight about. A man full of [grits] is a man of peace.'

i'll nominate what i had for lunch today as one of the best southern meals.

fried catfish
    green beans
    macaroni & cheese
    hushpuppies
    cornbread
    sweet tea

lavabe - did you ever eat at plantation buffet while you were in athens? catfish friday is truly an experience.