View Poll Results: Which systems do you own and why? 360/PS3/Wii?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playstation 3

5 9.62%
  • XBox 360

5 9.62%
  • Nintendo Wii

17 32.69%
  • Combination of two above

5 9.62%
  • None

20 38.46%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The only two systems I've ever owned are NES and Nintendo 64 (skipped the sega/snes generation - had to play Genesis at my neighbor's). I have absolutely no problems playing old games again and again and again (and again). My NES has pretty much given out, but thank goodness there's emulator. Well, at least for RPG's. It's hard to play Contra and Castlevania II: Simon's Quest with my keyboard...

Speaking of RPG's - if you like them and are familiar with many of the classics (I derived a lot from Final Fantasy series, Dragon Warrior series, Shining Force, etc.), make sure you've read this -
    The Grand List Of Console Role Playing Game Clichés

This discussion reminded me of a great article about the quality of modern games (note: some NSFW language). It was written as this hardware generation was preparing for release and is a scathing and hilarious indictment of the derivative and unimaginative state of gaming.

From the first section on the sorry state of game AI:

We get so overjoyed every time an enemy actually shoots from cover in a game that we forgive the fact that real, advanced A.I. is as much an unfulfilled promise as the flying car. Where are the FPS bad guys who can adapt their strategy on the fly? Enemies who themselves have six different guns and switch up according to what the situation calls for? Bad guys who work in teams, who strategize, who create diversions to distract you? Where's the enemy Solid Snake who sneaks up on you with the silence of a ninja's church fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post

1) I regret buying the Wii. I loved Wii Sports and Zelda but the games are faddish at best and do not have long term value. Unless third party support amps up for the Wii, I'll be left waiting for Nintendo to churn out content which will take FOREVER.
    What abour for folks younger than you (meaning in the 9 - 12 year old range)? I'm considering one for my kids - they already have a PS2.

Ok, I now feel compelled to respond with a little more depth than my earlier post. I post from the perspective of a Gamer (capital G, no "casual" modifier), and in my opinion, the Wii is awesome.

I have both the 360 and the Wii. I did not invest in the PS3 for 3 reasons: (i) it costs way too much, (ii) until recently, it really had no exclusive titles (and the current batch does not excite me) and (iii) I view the X360 and the PS3 as relatively interchangeable, and the X360 has a better online setup and exclusives I really wanted.

The X360 has had a number of games I have picked up and really enjoyed and traded in. It's greatest strength at the moment appears to be FPS games (Rainbox 6, Ghost Recon, Halo 3, Bioshock, etc.). It also has the RPG Mass Effect from Bioware (creators of Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, NWN, Jade Empire, etc.) coming down the pipe next week, which will be a must own. The showing in the sportsgame category is fairly strong, as well, with all the usual titles from EA Sports that the PS3 shares. On the kids front, Viva Pinata is an excellent title (but not the follow-up "party animals").

Assassin's Creed recently came out on both the X360 and the PS3. It is a solid game and I enjoy it alot, but once I've beaten it it will be going to the trade-in shop for something else, as I don't foresee a lot of replayability. This has been true across the board on X360 games for me, and the only one I've been holding onto is Rainbow Six because I play online with friends.

So, here's the list of X360 titles to try, in my opinion:

Mass Effect (available Tuesday - if you can find it)
    Assassin's Creed
    Bioshock
    Rainbow 6: Vegas
    Halo 3
    Viva Pinata
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1
    Call of Duty 3
    Forza Motorsports
    Any variety of College Football/Madden and a few other sports titles

I've also heard good things about Eternal Sonata

On the Wii:

This system is completely different from either then X360 or the PS3, and has a great price advantage. It's launch titles have been the strongest to date, with Wii Sports, Zelda, and Rayman Raving Rabbids leading the way. If you don't have either of the latter, get them.

The Wii's greatest strengths are innovative gameplay, intuitive controls, and easy accessibility. It also has a bunch of great games that are NOT trade-in when you're done. The problem is that is also has a bunch of games that are crap, and if you pick up the wrong ones, you will regret buying a Wii. Most of the better games are first-party software, but expect to see some great new third party titles later next year.

In the meantime, these are the titles to own:

Super Mario Galaxy (just released, this game is amazing)
    Wii Sports (free in the US with the Wii)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Rayman Raving Rabbids 1 (& 2 which was just released)
    Mario Strikers Charged! (Awesome in multiplayer, so-so in single)
    Link's Crossbow Training (free with the new Wii Zapper next week)
    Super Smash Brothers Braw (February)
    MarioKart (Q1)
    NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams (December)

Some of the sports games just work due to the wiimote dynamic, as well. Beyond this, I don't recommend spending on money on Wii games, but these are all GREAT titles (or I predict will be, if not yet released, based on the things I have seen and read).

I still have a Nintendo Gamecube. I am a big Madden and College Football fan, and those are generally the only games I play. However, Super Smash Borther Melee has to be one of the most fun games I have ever played on any console.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    What abour for folks younger than you (meaning in the 9 - 12 year old range)? I'm considering one for my kids - they already have a PS2.
    I don't know what platforms support it (beyond XBOX360), but the Lego Star Wars game is HILARIOUS for any fan of the movies. The Simpsons game (also on XBOX360) was pretty amusing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Super Mario Galaxy (just released, this game is amazing)
    Just to follow up on that point, SMG is now officially the highest rated game of all time according to review aggregator gamerankings.com. The previous champion was another Nintendo title, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64, and its record stood for 10 years.

Also, while your 360 list is a bit too heavy on the FPS side for my taste, it's a good example of how strong of a library exists. Get a Wii. Get a 360. That should suffice for this generation of games.