Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Bad News For J.J.

From The Orlando Sentinel:

Foyle might be running up his minutes if power forward Pat Garrity can't play. Garrity sprained his right ankle during practice (and reserve shooting guard J.J. Redick came down with back spasms so painful, he barely could amble to the team bus and is doubtful).
    Here's to hoping this isn't a serious injury, and J.J. recovers quickly.

--grad_devil

Unhappy Another article

Here's another article from The Sentinel with a short blurb about J.J.'s injury.

Smith said the club sent shooting guard J.J. Redick back home to Orlando. Redick has been battling back spasms since injuring himself Monday in practice.

I know it is early in the season and this is an injury but the best thing for JJ is probably a chance of scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    I know it is early in the season and this is an injury but the best thing for JJ is probably a chance of scenery.
    Agreed. The sad thing here is the overall picture just isn't looking good at all. I've had back issues and have talked to many people who have had them. Generally, they don't get better. He's had back trouble in the past and to be so young, well, what a bummer.

Here's to hoping he will be the exception and will go on to have a strong NBA career.

-EarlJam

its really sad b/c I think he could be really good NOT great but really good in the NBA. He can shoot better then anyone besides Allen or Redd. He has a gift and who cares if he can't defend he was drafted to put points on the board and he can't do that from the bench.

i think he's actually an adequate defender and has improved even since leaving duke. i think we'll see him playing more minutes soon. the real problem is that bogans is playing so well

Bet a nickel it's caused by a spasm in one of his psoas muscles. Those rascals are deep within the body, and are the cause of back pain in lots of athletetes. Very, very, very difficult to stretch; no conventional stretches get at em. Involuntary muscles, and difficult and delicate to get at. In spasm, one of em will put the back completely out of whack. The good news, in the right hands, piece of cake. Finding the right hands, now that's the tricky part.

Same story, different player. Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Agreed. The sad thing here is the overall picture just isn't looking good at all. I've had back issues and have talked to many people who have had them. Generally, they don't get better. He's had back trouble in the past and to be so young, well, what a bummer.

Here's to hoping he will be the exception and will go on to have a strong NBA career.

-EarlJam
    Depends on how badly his spasms are. I dealt with back spasms on/off for 2 years and fully recovered after some extensive time off.

I can now go back to daily activity and am 6 years off from my last bout.

Then again, I don't do the amount of physical stress on my back as JJ does

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDawg View Post
    Depends on how badly his spasms are. I dealt with back spasms on/off for 2 years and fully recovered after some extensive time off.

I can now go back to daily activity and am 6 years off from my last bout.

Then again, I don't do the amount of physical stress on my back as JJ does
    The lower back has got no muscles to speak of in it. What throws it out of whack are other muscles that cause the spine, one or more of the vertibrae, to lock when rotated and stay there because of accompanying muscle spasms. (Unless we are talking a bulging disc here, or something.)

Psoas muscles, deep under the hip flexors, which connect to the femur, go through those little openings in the pelvis on each side, and connect on the front side of the lower spine, are often the culprits. If one is stronger than the other, and goes into spasm, you do not feel it. It will yank the lower spine into a cronic rotation, often lock up the sacrum.

Iyengar yoga teachers, really good ones, are among the few who can actually work with people on their psoas's. I could do deep tissue work on them for you Earl Jam, but we'd have to get married first.

Feldenkrais ATMs would help, but are not a short run fix.

JJ should see an osteopath who specializes in cranial sacral work. There is a body worker (30 years with certifications in cranial sacral, trager, and zero balancing modalities which he has rolled into his own thing) here in DC who my son and I see regularly and has gotten a friend who literally could not get out of bed up and walking after two sessions. Does spectacular work with backs. SPECTACULAR. Tell JJ, I'll hook him up. My boy Matt L wouldn't listen; he was always pig headed as a kid too.

Do we think JJ's lack of PT is due to factors beyond the bad back. Posters early in this thread suggested he needs a change of scenery, but it seemed like the Magic was charting a role for him in pre-season.

If he can't get 20 mpg in Orlando when healthy, I don't see any reason to believe he's going to do any better elsewhere. Bogans is a solid player, but he's not Dwyane Wade, and besides, not beating out Bogans doesn't explain not being in the rotation.

I don't think JJ's lack of playing time in the first several games has anything to do with this back injury. It has everything to do with who he's playing for, and who he's playing with. He's playing for a very defensive-minded coach who wants lock down defenders. He's also playing on a team that's loaded with guards and forwards that can play the guard spot if absolutely necessary.

It just seems to me that JJ is not in a good situation for his particular skills. I've followed him pretty closely (since I live near Orlando) and I just don't think he's going to succeed here. Right now Bogans is playing way over his head on the offensive end, and now Keyon Dooling has moved in front of JJ as well. Both guys offer better defense and Dooling can play point if necessary, so JJ is the odd man out right now. I honestly believe he needs a change of scenery to be successful. If you could have seen his face on the bench during the first couple of games you would have seen a guy that is clearly unhappy and seems somewhat disconnected at present. In fact during the second or third game of the year (can't remember which) JJ hadn't gone in at all and there were about 4 minutes left in a blowout for the Magic. Van Gundy called for JJ to go in and the camera panned to him and he wasn't even paying attention and didn't realize he was being called to check in at the desk. A teammate had to poke him and tell him the coach wanted him in the game. He was literally startled and then jumped up off the chair to go into the game. I'm telling you, his heart doesn't appear to be with the Magic at this point. It's really sad, and I feel terrible for him. He needs to get traded to a team that runs a more uptempo system. I'm confident JJ can be a 20 minute a night guy in the NBA that can provide needed scoring off the bench. But I don't think it's going to happen in Orlando with VG as coach and all these swing players on the roster that can play better d than JJ.

Just my two cents.

Gary

JJ likely still out until this Friday. And with the team at 7-2 without him, have his chances at getting much playing time gone out the window?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    JJ likely still out until this Friday. And with the team at 7-2 without him, have his chances at getting much playing time gone out the window?
    Absolutely! He has basically no shot (outside an injury to Bogans and/or Dooling) to get any playing time at all. I am now more convinced than ever that he needs a change of scenery in order to succeed in the NBA. It will not happen with this current Magic roster and coaching staff. He's just not suited for it.

Gary

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Absolutely! He has basically no shot (outside an injury to Bogans and/or Dooling) to get any playing time at all. I am now more convinced than ever that he needs a change of scenery in order to succeed in the NBA. It will not happen with this current Magic roster and coaching staff. He's just not suited for it.

Gary
    I think that if the Magic hit a rough spot, and especially if they're struggling to score and Bogans isn't still on his career-best shooting pace, then van Gundy will give JJ a better shot.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Van Gundy played his starters absurd minutes tonight. I am talking 4 guys playing 43+ minutes and one other playing 35. Granted, the game went to OT, but his starters still logged big-league minutes.

Anyone who has watched the NBA long-term will tell you that cannot continue. Orlando will just wear down if it does. There is room for someone else to get minutes off that bench. Perhaps, once he comes back from injury, it will be JJ. He certainly was getting a chance in the pre-season so I think the team would like to see him succeed.

--Jason "as an aside, the brain-dead morons running the Hawks have 100% benched Shelden... sigh" Evans

Is JJ on the active roster right now?

Has Shelden done anything to merit minutes?

Who will play more than 20 minutes in a game first: JJ, McRoberts, Shav or Shel?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Has Shelden done anything to merit minutes?

Who will play more than 20 minutes in a game first: JJ, McRoberts, Shav or Shel?
    Shel, because Jason is spot on and Woody ain't gonna last.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "as an aside, the brain-dead morons running the Hawks have 100% benched Shelden... sigh" Evans
    The real sad thing about this is that they've made it so that nobody in town is clamoring to see him. While he didn't put up spectacular numbers last year, he did perform solidly in the categories in which we always knew he would-defense and rebounding. While those certainly aren't glamour stats in a glamour league, someone has to do that stuff. Shel was never going to be a 25-point a night kind of guy in the league, because he lacks that sort of athleticism. The Hawks probably did draft him too high to be a "dirty work" kind of player, but why should he be punished for the Hawks' recent pattern of idiocy?
    I really hate it, because I happen to be a (returning) Hawks fan, and obviously a Shelden fan. Wonder how quickly he'll get jettisoned?