258. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shane Battier

158 61.24%
  • Johnny Dawkins

100 38.76%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am closing this poll and am delighted to declare that

SHANE BATTIER IS THE FAVORITE DUKIE OF THE DBR BOARD!!

Shane, if you are reading, we await your acceptance speech

--Jason "thanks everyone, it has been a fun exercise" Evans

P.S.- I designed this thing to get us through the final few weeks until the season started. We finished just in time!!!
    Thanks for doing this Jason. It was a lot of fun and brought back a lot of great memories.

Will there be a final ranking, such as a Top 10 or Top 20?

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by g_olaf View Post
    OK, again, its been 20 years, but I remember, a second Navy player (and I thought it was Robinson) right behind the Navy guard, so Johnny did a high-speed reverse slam over two players. It was truly spectacular, and the reason he was invited to compete in the NBA All-star dunk contest the next year. Not much of a chance to win though, against MJ and Clyde the glide.
    I posted about this elsewhere but can't remember which thread and can't find it. I have heard about this dunk from my dad for 15 years but have never seen it. I would loooooooove to see it if anyone has a video...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "thanks everyone, it has been a fun exercise" Evans

P.S.- I designed this thing to get us through the final few weeks until the season started. We finished just in time!!!
    Thanks to you jason. these were great and definitely ate up time be4 tonight (btw i loooove these early starts to the season).

silky "how about a little applause for Jason who spent a ton of time running all these polls with diligence and great timing...and the dbr mock draft too, which was the first one ever to get all the way through" j

p.s. i voted for j dawk, but congrats shane. please become president one day, that would be awesome.

I think it was Doug Wojcik who was the victim of Johnny's butt-in-your-face reverse dunk against Navy in '86. It looks like he's currently the Tulsa coach.

I haven't seen a replay of that in 20 years. Does somebody have the '86 Chanticleer "Video Yearlook"? I'm sure it's on there, repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer's Daddy View Post
    I think it was Doug Wojcik who was the victim of Johnny's butt-in-your-face reverse dunk against Navy in '86. It looks like he's currently the Tulsa coach.

I haven't seen a replay of that in 20 years. Does somebody have the '86 Chanticleer "Video Yearlook"? I'm sure it's on there, repeatedly.
    I don't have the video yearbook but I do have a video of the 86 season that I think the Iron Dukes must have sent out. My original copy is in beta format (!!!) but I'm pretty sure we made a VHS copy a few years back. I'll try to dig that up this weekend...if I still have it I need to get a digital copy made!

To be honest I don't remember for sure that dunk being on the video. I do remember Al McGuire doing the lion tamer act in Cameron and JD getting a killer block in a game vs Notre Dame.

Would love to see it if possible.

I did find JD's 1987 All-star dunk contest on Youtube. His second dunk (which was better than his first) is at 2:20 into this section. Classic 180 reverse, bringing the ball down to his knees. Of course, he knew he didn't have a prayer against the competition. Still, fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer's Daddy View Post
    Not only does it have some great hoops highlights, it has me playing guitar on a bench on East Campus. Good times.

I know I have that game on a VCR tape somewhere. I'm not sure which will be harder to find -- the tape, or a VCR that still works.

I can't vote. I just can't do it.

It's like choosing between your two kids.

My second favorite dunk of all time: Fast forward to 8:00 minutes

Thank you to Blue Devil Nation

Wow! That is really all I can say. Shane "Daddy" Battier here, weighing in on the "Favorite Player Poll." First of all, I would like to say that I am humbled and proud (and a tad bit surprised) at all the love thrown my way during the "tournament." It wasn't until the final four that a friend of mine called me up and explained the drill. Well, when I logged on to see I was facing my all-time role model and good friend, Mr. Grant Hill, I couldn't believe it! That alone, made my life.
    To be named as the favorite Blue Devil amongst all the great players and people who put on the blue and white is an honor and almost (at least for me) impossible to justify. I would like to echo the sentiments of so many on the boards when I say that it is really unfair to have to pick between so many great players who have defined what Duke hoops is all about. I am proud to be one of the many people who have considered themselves so lucky to be able to call Cameron Indoor home.
    People often ask me "What is it about Duke that separates it from the other schools?" Without hesitation, I always answer "The guys who play there." Every player that was mentioned in this poll knows this. And while the names and faces will change, the quality of the person will always remain the same. THAT, ladies and gents, is what you call tradition and it is a tradition that I am proud to be a part of.

Thanks for all of your support and votes. Go Duke!

Shane Battier 01'

whosyourdaddy31

Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdaddy31 View Post
    Wow! That is really all I can say. Shane "Daddy" Battier here, weighing in on the "Favorite Player Poll." First of all, I would like to say that I am humbled and proud (and a tad bit surprised) at all the love thrown my way during the "tournament." It wasn't until the final four that a friend of mine called me up and explained the drill. Well, when I logged on to see I was facing my all-time role model and good friend, Mr. Grant Hill, I couldn't believe it! That alone, made my life.
    To be named as the favorite Blue Devil amongst all the great players and people who put on the blue and white is an honor and almost (at least for me) impossible to justify. I would like to echo the sentiments of so many on the boards when I say that it is really unfair to have to pick between so many great players who have defined what Duke hoops is all about. I am proud to be one of the many people who have considered themselves so lucky to be able to call Cameron Indoor home.
    People often ask me "What is it about Duke that separates it from the other schools?" Without hesitation, I always answer "The guys who play there." Every player that was mentioned in this poll knows this. And while the names and faces will change, the quality of the person will always remain the same. THAT, ladies and gents, is what you call tradition and it is a tradition that I am proud to be a part of.

Shane Battier 01'
    I am speechless. Welcome to DBR, Shane, congratulations, have a GREAT year and don't be a stranger to these parts

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I am speechless. Welcome to DBR, Shane, congratulations, have a GREAT year and don't be a stranger to these parts

Me too, since I voted for Grant and Johnny...

Shane Battier 01'

Well, this is just really cool. Glad to have you stop in again after all these years. Hope you can drop by more often!

Shane Battier 01'

*bows enthusiastically in Shane's direction!*

Thanks for your fantastic contributions to Duke, both as an athlete and more importantly as a student and representative of the U!

cool indeed!

Well, that was a most pleasant surprise. Thankyou for stopping by, Shane. It was great that you were able to see the results of this poll.

Pardon me for a moment while I just say...

HOLY $@^@&!!!

Thanks for stopping by Daddy!! You da man. Congrats on winning the poll. You certainly are a worthy champion. When I designed this thing, I knew we would be faced with several impossible choices. Picking among our most beloved heroes is never easy.

Make sure you rub it in Grant and Johnny's faces the next time you see them

--Jason "Shane was the favorite to be named the favorite all along" Evans

Just a thought, but maybe a mod can upgrade his "hoop dreams" status a bit?

Not sure what to, but at least to "Shane Battier" level? In the spirit of giving an "honorary degree." Or maybe "Favorite Dukie Ever." Ahh, just a thought...

And I'm losing my own "Elton Brand" and "Chris Carrawell" status by suggesting this, so please humor me.

whosyourdaddy31

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind View Post
    Just a thought, but maybe a mod can upgrade his "hoop dreams" status a bit?

Not sure what to, but at least to "Shane Battier" level? In the spirit of giving an "honorary degree." Or maybe "Favorite Dukie Ever." Ahh, just a thought...

And I'm losing my own "Elton Brand" and "Chris Carrawell" status by suggesting this, so please humor me.
    We could have lots of fun with this. We could change his status every day or two from Elton to Chris to JD or JWill or even, Shane. Or automatically 'promote ' him to the (secret) highest posting status on the mods list of All-American/NPOY or even higher to, oh let's say, Jason Evans level

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    We could have lots of fun with this. We could change his status every day or two from Elton to Chris to JD or JWill or even, Shane. Or automatically 'promote ' him to the (secret) highest posting status on the mods list of All-American/NPOY or even higher to, oh let's say, Jason Evans level
    Umm... Shane should reach President of the United States level in 2016 (and 2020).
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Shane Battier 01'
    Thanks for all you do (and have done) to represent OUR university. We are all extremely proud of you, as well as the others who have put on the Duke uniform.

We are blessed to have a wonderful program with outstanding players and people. Battier. G.Hill. Dawkins. Amaker. JWill. Alarie. Gminski. Ferry. Laettner. Hurley. Boozer. Brand. Deng. etc. etc. etc.

It is impossible to pick a favorite. As a student during the '86 run, every member of that team holds a special place in my heart. Then we had SO many great folks come behind that, and build upon that tradition. It is really mind-blowing.

(Oh, and Shane, sorry about the "chi" crack. All in good fun. I wish all the folks who saw you play had also had the chance to see Dawkins play. Alas, ESPN was just starting and they mainly showed tractor pulls and lumberjack competitions back then. Certainly no 'deuce').

Rock on, Shane. And if you need someone to run your Georgia campaign for POTUS, give me a buzz.

-- OPK

Who's your daddy? Battier!

As everyone else has said, thanks for everything and welcome to the board, Shane! It is indeed an honor to have you post here. Please do so more often!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com