158 61.24%
  • Johnny Dawkins

100 38.76%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Favorite Player Poll- THE FINALS!!! Battier vs. Dawkins

It comes down to this...

vs.

Johnny Dawkins vs. Shane Battier

This is the final poll and will be open until Friday. The poll itself will not be active for a few hours. Feel free to post your initial campaign statements here so folks can read them before they make up their mind. This is not an easy choice.

--Jason "should I allow multiple votes so folks can vote for both? Ha!! No way I am letting you all off that easy!!" Evans

Here are the links to their career stats for what it's worth...

Johnny Dawkins

Shane Battier

For me, it's a no brainer, it's Shane. Admittedly I was till fairly young when Dawkins was working his magic, but I'll never forget how Shane could absolutely dominate all phases of a game.

How they got here:

#2 seed Shane Battier-
    • Qualified with 91.37% of the vote in preliminary poll
    • Won round of 32 vs. #31 seed Dahntay Jones with 94.48%
    • Won Sweet 16 vs. #15 seed Nate James with 92.14%
    • Won Great 8 vs. #7 seed JJ Redick with 77.30%
    • Won Final Four vs. #3 seed Grant Hill with 55.16%

#4 seed Johnny Dawkins-
    • Qualified with 86.07% of the vote in the preliminary poll
    • Won round of 32 vs. #29 Robert Brickey with 92.76%
    • Won Sweet 16 vs. #13 seed Shelden Williams with 83.54%
    • Won Great 8 vs. #5 seed Bobby Hurley with 52.72%
    • Won Final Four vs. #1 seed Jason Williams with 61.03%

Okay, I know that Shane spoke like a senator when he was 17, was the 3-time defensive player of the year, led us to Olympus, and is an all around good guy. He has been the clear favorite since voting began.

And I know that Johnny has liabilities: he doesn't speak loudly, younger voters have mostly seen him wearig a suit rather than exploding through the lane drilling a jump shot or finishing an alley oop as a 6'2" skinny guy; and he defeated Bobby--who has a large and passionate fan base that is currently out killing kittens.

Nevertheless, he the most crucial recruit/player in modern Duke history, without whom K might well have been fired, leading to a current reality that is most reminiscent of sci fi novels in which Germany won WWII. We'd all be hearing about how Carolina has now won 22 consecutive ACC championships and 9 national championships in 2 decades behind such superstars as Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, Shane Battier. We'd be on our 6th coach in 20 years, and there would be much discussion of how basketball let down our modestly successful football program, which was the reason that we had to drop down into the Patriot League. We'd be making self-loathing cracks about our chances to beat Carolina in the annual preseason exhibition that is scheduled so that alumni can return to Chapel Hill and laugh at Duke people. With the fall of the sports program, our overall applications start to drop, and instead of getting a US News ranking that always seems higher than we deserve, we begin a slide into the third tier of colleges. There is talk of bankruptcy and having to change the name of the school to Gates University. Ipods are banned on campus. Everyone walks around with the long, gray faces of post- war East Berlin apparichniks who stare mournfully over the fence at the Carolina students who giddily frolic in the sunlight. Without Johnny, we would have become the living dead.

You have a vote because of Johnny. Use it wisely.

Well ok...

So I think we can agree that Dawkins was more IMPORTANT...

Just like clearly MOST people will agree that Laettner was the best winner, Redick was the best scorer, Battier was the best defender

and you can have a fun time debating J-Will, Laettner, Grant, Brand, Gminski, Dawkins, Redick, Battier, or whoever else for best Player

But this here is a FAVORITE PLAYER poll

And really...
    is there any doubt that that is Shane?

Ahhh, I got sick of waiting. The poll is now up and active. Have at it!!

--Jason "we vote until Friday... which is when the regular season starts and stuff like this should be sent to the sidelines" Evans

I was the first to vote.

Oh, I voted for Shane because he's my daddy. Though johnb made a very good argument for Johnny Dawkins.

Man, this is tough. I never thought I'd pick anyone over Shane as my favorite. But then you throw Johnny D at me. Yes, I remember them both. Both were outstanding college players and are outstanding people. You couldn't hope for better. I'm going to have to think about this one a while.

Okay, I've decided. I vote for Johnny Dawkins. I guess what finally decided it for me is his continuing contribution to Duke basketball. Seeing him on the sidelines with K at games gives me a feeling the program is in very good hands. I hope Shane returns after his pro career is over. If that happens I might very well change my vote in a future poll.

Last edited by camion; 11-06-2007 at 10:47 AM.

I voted for JD, because I'm still bitter about Battier taking down my personal favorite (JJ). Irrational? Yes. But as we have said on numerous occaisions, this is about FAVORITES. And I still hold a grudge against Shane, even though he had noting to do with JJ's downfall. Like I said, I'm irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by grc5 View Post
    I voted for JD, because I'm still bitter about Battier taking down my personal favorite (JJ). Irrational? Yes. But as we have said on numerous occaisions, this is about FAVORITES. And I still hold a grudge against Shane, even though he had noting to do with JJ's downfall. Like I said, I'm irrational.
    Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that Redick and Battier were in the same "regional", so I know how you feel. That being said, I still had to go with Battier.

One more thing about Johnny Dawkins that I thought I would share. Last year, at the downtown YMCA, Johnny was there watching his son play. At the same time, my boy went up to Johnny who was holding a Duke basketball and my son asked him if he could use it. Johnny smiled and allowed my son to shoot and even carried on a conversation with him while he shot. It says a lot about how much Johnny loves the game of basketball, and I will never forget that about him.

Dawsom

Johnny Dawkins was absolutely LOVED as a player. Even as a 1962 grad who never saw him play, I was aware of how he took over Duke basketball.

People were totally passionate about him.

It is a reflection of the age of the people on the board and when they became fans that is determining the choices of favorite player. Me, I became a fan in early childhood and saw Dick Groat play (although I really didn't 'get it' until later.

With all of that history, Johnny D was Dawsom. Dawkins is the man!

Battier best defender? Is that a strong consensus? What about Billy King?

We all have our bias to certain years and players. I was at Duke from '86 to '89 ... Go Johnny. I ran into him at the arcade. He put out his hand and said.. hi, I 'm Johnny... with a grin on his face. The most exciting Duke player of all time! (well, Brickey is pretty close behind )

Quote Originally Posted by mark3401 View Post
    ...I ran into him at the arcade. He put out his hand and said.. hi, I 'm Johnny... with a grin on his face. The most exciting Duke player of all time! (well, Brickey is pretty close behind )
    That's the way I remember him as well (I'm T'86). From what I've seen and heard he's still the same way, a charismatic mix of humility and confidance.
    Last edited by The Gordog; 11-06-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: removing extraneaous part of quotation
    The Gordog

I have until Friday to decide. Good. I think I know which was I'll vote, but I've got to think about this for a day or two. And no, I'm not going to check out how the voting is going before I vote. No early exit polls are going to sway my vote!

My thanks to God for giving us so many wonderful players at Duke from which to choose!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by blu62 View Post
    It is a reflection of the age of the people on the board and when they became fans that is determining the choices of favorite player.
    Interesting point. I've never heard that before on these threads.

For me, I'm going with the man that thoroughly introduced me to Duke Basketball. My man, one of the greatest human beings, much less basketball players, that I've had the pleasure of knowing. My vote's for our daddy, Shane Battier.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Are JWill and Grant going to play in a 3rd place game?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

No Doubt

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    But this here is a FAVORITE PLAYER poll

And really...
    is there any doubt that that is Shane?
    No doubt...
    None whatsoever ...
    Nada...
    No way ...
    Zilch ...

And Who's your daddy Mr Knight?
    Mine is Shane.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    One more thing about Johnny Dawkins that I thought I would share. Last year, at the downtown YMCA, Johnny was there watching his son play.
    What's the scoop on Johnny's son? How old is he now? Will he be coming to Duke? Will he be a star college player like his dad?

-EarlJam

Shane was a great, solid player. Always there when you needed him.

Dawkins was a powder keg. BAM! Steal, drive, soar, change directions in mid-air (how the heck did he do that?!?), slam! Great defense, incredible offense, great leader. Plus, if Dawkins hadn't've come, K may not have been kept around long enough to be the institution he is today.

[hyperbole] So, if you're glad that K is the coach, you gotta give the love to Johnny. If you hate K -- vote for someone else. [/hyperbole]