Wash Post Pre-season Articles

The Washington Post has upgraded its’ college basketball coverage significantly in recent years. This week they have a five part series on this upcoming season in the printed version and, this morning, they had articles by Eric Preisbell and John Feinstein. The first of their college basketball series had several snapshots into the season. Off the top of my head, the points that I recall are that the ACC is the most overrated conference and Singler is the 5th most likely freshmen to be one-and-done (after Gordon, Mayo, Rose and Beasley). Based on the gushy statements by Coach K, the play of Singler in scrimmages and exhibitions, and the quality of this year’s senior class, I suspect that Singler may be under pressure to jump.

The Preisbell article is about the Washington State basketball team. For those who live and die with high school player rankings, the Cougars don’t compute. None of their players were even close to being highly rated by the recruiting gurus. They play team basketball at both ends of the floor and are expected to be a highly ranked team in the best basketball conference this year.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110401679.html

If you can stomach Feinstein, he has a typical article on the big boys playing cupcakes in the early season. He mentions Billy Tubbs, who would not only play cupcakes but would press and fast break to the end of the game, often running up the score. And like, Belechek, he didn't feel bad.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110401387.html

gw67

ya I fear that the Duke may be on the verge of winning a championship not this year but next but Singler and Henderson will go pro.

ACC Preview

In their continuing 5-part series on the upcoming college basketball season, the Post covered the ACC today in addition to providing a nice article on Wake Forest which was linked by DBR. Adam Kilgore wrote the ACC Preview article. During TV appearances, Adam comes across as a bright, articulate young man and he certainly isn’t a “homer” for the Terps. However, he must have let a Maryland grad at the Post pick the predicted finish for the ACC (Terps in 3rd behind UNC and NC State and ahead of Duke). He also thinks Singler and Nelson will be among the top 10 players in the league (Doesn’t he know that Henderson will do his Grant Hill impression this year!). He also compares Singler to Morrison. I haven’t seen Singler play but I haven’t heard that comparison before either. Anyway, it is a different view by an ACC writer who is not from North Carolina. I’m tired of reading ACC preview articles although Al Featherson continues to provide balanced previews of teams for theACC.com. I believe that the preview for Duke will be tomorrow or Friday.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-s...preview_07.pdf

gw67
    Last edited by gw67; 11-07-2007 at 08:32 AM.

"Sophomore guards Greivis Vasquez and Eric Hayes may form the best back court in the ACC"

Either the Post is the only one not drinking the baby-blue cool-aid, or they are the only ones drinking the red cool-aid. But you have to expect things like that from the WaPo...

It reminds me of the Post's 1999 baseball preview: "Now in the close confines of Camden Yards, expect Albert Belle to break(!) Mark McGuire's home run record." They actually said that.

Clearly, the UNC backcourt is the best in the ACC. Beyond that, I don't think there is a clear advantage to any other starting backcourt in the ACC at this time. From all reports, Vasquez and Hayes have improved over last year and they will get plenty of playing time. I expect both youngsters to have good seasons and for Vasquez to challenge for 3rd team All ACC. The Devils are very deep on the perimeter but we will need to see how the backcourt situation plays out. Florida State should have a good backcourt. The backcourts on several of the remaining teams may turn out to be good but there are unknowns at this time.

The reference to Belle is funny. As an Oriole fan, we have had a bunch of busts in the past 20 years.

gw67

Wash Post does seem to be playing to its hometown readers by picking MD third.

ACCBBallfan - You may be right but I doubt it. The last three reporters who have covered the Terps bball team, Kilgore, Prisbell and Svrluga (Dukie), have not been "homers" by any stretch. The previous reporter, Barr, seemed to have an atitude toward Duke and was much more of a fan of the Terps.

I realize that many outside the DC area don't understand but the Post college sports editor considers Maryland, Georgetown, Navy, Virginia, Virginia Tech, George Mason and American as home town teams. They cover them all because there are a large number of alums from each of these schools living in the DC area and, apparently, they let the Post know it if they think that their converage isn't what they think it should be.

gw67

Gw, do you think Maryland should be picked 3rd?

riverside - I've read a host of ACC preview articles and I haven't wavered from my initial thoughts that the Terps will finish in the 6-8th place range. I expect Gist, Vasquez and Hayes to be solid players but they will rely on freshmen and inexperienced sophs to fill out the team. I expect them to have some difficulties early in the season and they may have trouble scoring throughout the season.

gw67

I agree with you, just was curious what your thoughts were since you follow them closely.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    riverside - I've read a host of ACC preview articles and I haven't wavered from my initial thoughts that the Terps will finish in the 6-8th place range. I expect Gist, Vasquez and Hayes to be solid players but they will rely on freshmen and inexperienced sophs to fill out the team. I expect them to have some difficulties early in the season and they may have trouble scoring throughout the season.

gw67
    Their 6'5" power foreward will score the ball. If he hits the fifteen foot jump shot, he will score the ball alot. Think of Adrian Dantley.

The guy is extremely, extremely tough and strong, and creates space underneath. He sees opportunities well. If he makes the fifteen footer, look for him to create foul trouble and match up problems.

Best back court in the ACC

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    I agree with you, just was curious what your thoughts were since you follow them closely.
    Vasquez, Bowie and Hayes looked very good in scrimmages. The local sportswriters were present during each of the scrimmages. That they would be excited about the Maryland back court is not at all surprising.
    Shane Walker looked good during the scrimmages too.

Last night the back court didn't look as good as they had. They looked like a very ordinary back court. But they have a lot more potential than most people realize. By the years they could very well be the most valuable back court in the ACC. They played solid defense against Concordia but struggled offensively. The Terps are about 15 games from integrating their 6 freshman into the rotation.

Right now I would guess that Vasquez, Milbourne and Hayes will play guard small forward. Bowie will get a lot of playing time. Tucker will get a lot of minutes but not as many as Bowie.

Things are in flux in the front court. They will score more inside than they did last year. They will block as many shots. Free throw shooting and rebounding are areas where the front court needs to improve. Right now it's hard to figure what the front court rotation will be. I think in the long run Dupree and Walker will back up Osby and Gist but how many minutes they will get is yet to be determined. Burney will be a situational substitution. The freshmen front court looked good in scrimmages but in playing in front of a large crowd for the first time they looked a little lost.