Star Trek Remastered

Now if you havent heard, CBS is digitally remastering all the old Star trek (original series) to replace all the cheesy special effects with state-of-the-art CGI.

from www.trektoday.com...

The remastered Star Trek original series episodes are going to keep improving the look of the Enterprise, a producer said.

"It is not that we are unhappy with the work, but it is not yet the Enterprise as we want to see it," Dave Rossi told TrekMovie.com. He said that the team working on the episodes has a new model and plans to show the ship performing maneuvers impossible to create with a physical model at the time the original Star Trek aired in the 1960s.

"People need to understand the amazing amount of work these guys had to do from a dead stop," explained Rossi, who said that CBS gave the team only a month to complete the effects shots for the first remastered episodes. The team is about to start working with the new model, which will give them time "to test lighting, coloring, and yes...those nacelle caps." They may redo some previously remastered shots to incorporate the new Enterprise, which will make its television debut in November.

Rossi added that the team is working on other ships, such as Khan's Botany Bay from "Space Seed", which will be scarred from a lengthy space journey, and a new freighter from "The Ultimate Computer" which is attacked by the title device. A few live-action changes have been made as well, such as Sulu's chronometer which runs backward in "The Naked Time". Rossi said that the team members "are all very passionate about it and want to do everything we can, it is just a matter of having the time to do it"

Looking forward to it? Or is it practically blasphemous?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Now if you havent heard, CBS is digitally remastering all the old Star trek (original series) to replace all the cheesy special effects with state-of-the-art CGI.

from www.trektoday.com...

The remastered Star Trek original series episodes are going to keep improving the look of the Enterprise, a producer said.

"It is not that we are unhappy with the work, but it is not yet the Enterprise as we want to see it," Dave Rossi told TrekMovie.com. He said that the team working on the episodes has a new model and plans to show the ship performing maneuvers impossible to create with a physical model at the time the original Star Trek aired in the 1960s.

"People need to understand the amazing amount of work these guys had to do from a dead stop," explained Rossi, who said that CBS gave the team only a month to complete the effects shots for the first remastered episodes. The team is about to start working with the new model, which will give them time "to test lighting, coloring, and yes...those nacelle caps." They may redo some previously remastered shots to incorporate the new Enterprise, which will make its television debut in November.

Rossi added that the team is working on other ships, such as Khan's Botany Bay from "Space Seed", which will be scarred from a lengthy space journey, and a new freighter from "The Ultimate Computer" which is attacked by the title device. A few live-action changes have been made as well, such as Sulu's chronometer which runs backward in "The Naked Time". Rossi said that the team members "are all very passionate about it and want to do everything we can, it is just a matter of having the time to do it"

Isn't this pretty old news? I've seen a couple of the remastered episodes over the past several months. They're done well - so well I doubt many would have objections, at least to the ones I've seen. The changes are only to the exterior/special effects shots (including the opening credits), which were not a strength in TOS, IMO. Those shots are cleaned up with modern computer graphics, from what I can see.

To be fair, I haven't seen any effects-heavy episodes, like The Doomsday Machine or The Ultimate Computer, but what I've seen I've liked.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

revisionism

Somewhere, Ted Turner is smiling ...

This reminds me of the end of 'Thank You For Smoking" when Senator Finesterre (William H. Macy) is unveiling his plans to digitally remaster classic films from the 30s and 40s to remove cigarettes (replacing them with pens and candy canes) because he's sure than if the filmakers knew then what we know now about the dangers of smoking, they never would have had Bogart or Bette Davis or Gary Cooper light up on screen.

I'd laugh except it's all too true -- Spiellberg remastered ET to change the guns on the belts of the government agents to radios ... he totally butchered Close Encounters with his "Special Edition"*. Lucas has gone back and desecrated the original Star Wars (Gredo shoots first???).

And it's just not movies. I understand the Kingsmen have authorized a remastering of "Louie, Louie" so that we can now understand the lyrics. Some do-gooders want to re-write Huck Finn to remove certain words that are now politically incorrect. And of course, there have always been moralists who want to sanitize Shakespeare. The Vatican totally ruined Michaelangelo's ceiling about 20 years ago with an ill-advized "cleaning" that turned into a re-colorization of his masterpiece.

[PS: Only three of the four examples cited above are true ... which is the fake?]

At least we still have the original, untampered with version of the Star Trek series. It's not like the original Close Encounters, where it's impossible to find the original, classic version.

I think I'll go back and watch "The Battle of Brazil" to remind myself of one masterpiece that wasn't destroyed by the revisionists.

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Full throttle blasphemous!

Or shall I say, warp speed blasphemous!

The cheesy special effects and the horrible acting of William Shatner are what makes the old shows so fun to watch. Dang them. Dang them to heck!

-EarlJam