Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I think we should fall back one hour each week all year long so I can sleep that extra hour on Sundays.
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I think we should fall back one hour each week all year long so I can sleep that extra hour on Sundays.
    When is Groundhog day, anyway?
    ~rthomas

Yes, DST must be abolished.

Also, humidity must be destroyed.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Nobody on this thread has called DST by its correct name yet.
    I beg to differ with you, sir.

I really like DST and plan golf vacations every spring for the first weekend that DST takes effect. At the same time, if I have to choose between me getting out of work in the dark or my kids and other kids catching the morning school bus in the dark, I'll give it up for my kids. All this talk about sleeping until 8:00 and not needing light in the AM, does anyone on this board not have kids? Heck, even on weekends my kids are up by 8:00 (usually earlier).

Oh and I'm very much a night person. I get to be between 1:00 and 3:00 most mornings.

Elvis

If there were no DST, it would be light at 4am in June/July in the eastern part of the Central Time Zone as far south as 30ish latitudes.There's a big difference between 4:00 and 8:00. At the same time, it would be getting dark around 7pm.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I <3 my daylight savings time! In fact, I'd much rather we spring forward, and never ever go back. I hate the fact that yesterday, it was light here until 6PM, and today it's 5PM and dusky.

Though if we never sprang back, then we wouldn't have that glorious day in spring where it magically stays light an hour longer!

Now, if I didn't have to deal with a stupid corporate schedule constrict of 9AM-5:30PM, then I wouldn't care what time of day it was, and just go off the light cycle. But, alas, I do (as does a majority if the country) and so please keep DST!

(Oh, and the thing about DST time changes screwing up Thanksgiving travel? Puhlease... anyone who doesn't know, 3 weeks after it happened, that the clocks were set back an hour deserves to miss his/her flight.)
    Wait a second... you're telling me sunlight still exists out there somewhere? I gotta get out of this office!

I think next spring we should spring forward half an hour and then leave it alone. Then, if the light doesn't suit people, they can adjust their schedules instead of the clock.

Thumbs down daylight savings has run its course

Personally I'm excited about an extra hour of sleep once a year. BUT in today's society there is NO reason for daylight's savings. There are a few states who haven't gone on daylight savings. (Wreaks havoc when I travel)

But.......it's useless -- except this year when it was moved forward (why??) so kids could have Halloween with semi-darkness rather than the full deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    But.......it's useless -- except this year when it was moved forward (why??) so kids could have Halloween with semi-darkness rather than the full deal.
    The hope was that it would decrease our energy consumption by giving us more daylight during waking hours. Completely unsuccessful, last I heard.

Warning: Aggie joke

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    Calling it daylight savings time is great marketing- who is not in favor of more daylight?
    When I was in Texas, the Aggie farmers were complaining that the extra hour of sunlight would burn up their crops. (I think that joke was the main reason the legislature passed the DST bill.)

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    I'll see your abolish DST and raise you abolish timezones :-)

I'm not sure it matters whether or not I work from 7am-7pm, or 3am-3pm, (or choose your 8-20 hour window of time) as long as I am getting when its light and going to sleep when its dark.

No more DST and no more timezones! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'll see your abolish DST and raise you abolish timezones :-)

I'm not sure it matters whether or not I work from 7am-7pm, or 3am-3pm, (or choose your 8-20 hour window of time) as long as I am getting when its light and going to sleep when its dark.

No more DST and no more timezones! :-)
    Sounds like a communist idea to me!

I've toyed with the idea of running for office on this campaign promise:

Spring forward every Friday at 2:00 p.m., fall back every Sunday morning at 2 a.m. This will give every working American TWO EXTRA HOURS of weekend!

Honestly, I like DST a lot better than "God's time." I've never understood the rationale behind making the days one hour longer right when they are naturally getting longer anyway, and then making them one hour shorter when they are naturally shortening. Who's idea WAS that?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I've toyed with the idea of running for office on this campaign promise:

Spring forward every Friday at 2:00 p.m., fall back every Sunday morning at 2 a.m. This will give every working American TWO EXTRA HOURS of weekend!

Honestly, I like DST a lot better than "God's time." I've never understood the rationale behind making the days one hour longer right when they are naturally getting longer anyway, and then making them one hour shorter when they are naturally shortening. Who's idea WAS that?
    Ben Franklin, originally. Not a new idea. Check out this history:

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html

Nah, I like getting the extra hour of sleep around this time of the year

And I enjoy getting more daylight during the Spring

So, I don't mind it both ways.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Ben Franklin, originally. Not a new idea. Check out this history:

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html
    Not Benjamin Frnklin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Willett