Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lute Olson taking leave of absence

Looks like Lute is out as coach for a while. Anyone heard what's up?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3094359

Combine this with Olsen's age and you have a formula for a very tough time recruiting at Arizona. Can any kid going there be confident that Lute will be there in a year or two? The dude is 73. How much longer could he have left?

--Jason "time to trot out some stories of Duke vs. Arizona from the 90s and why K refuses to ever play them again" Evans

Real classy Jason.

Hope everything's OK with Lute.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Combine this with Olsen's age and you have a formula for a very tough time recruiting at Arizona. Can any kid going there be confident that Lute will be there in a year or two? The dude is 73. How much longer could he have left?
    I was in Tucson a few months ago when Kevin O'Neill was hired as assistant, even though he had previously been a head coach at UTenn and in the NBA and seemed to be taking a big step backwards. Though the AD denied it, the understanding is pretty clear that O'Neill, who is a dynamite recruiter and was assistant at UofA in the Sean Elliot glory years, has been anointed as Olsen's successor. I believe that Brandon Jennings and the others who have signed since the hire are under the impression that O'Neill will eventually take over.

That said, no one is sure when that will be. Lute likes to think of himself as extraordinarily youthful, and has some evidence for the case. His players are in awe of his energy. He regularly joins them in the weight room, and holds his own.

Despite Luther's complaining after the 01 final about the officiating and his somewhat delusional rantings about the pro-Redick media (at the expense of Salim Stoudamire), I've always thought he was a pretty classy guy who was good for college basketball.

Hope everything's okay in Tuscon.

Question duke/arizona

I'm too young to know the stories from the early 90's. Why does K refuse to play against Arizona? Is anyone willing to share some of those stories?

goes further back than '01

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'm too young to know the stories from the early 90's. Why does K refuse to play against Arizona? Is anyone willing to share some of those stories?
    I was at the regular season game we played in Tucson in, what was it, the early 90's, and we got jobbed big-time. The reffing was simply horrible, and it was very pro-Arizona. Really bad, and decisive.

The crowd was terrible too -- unknowledgeable, old fuddy-duddy types whose attitude was like, "how dare you cheer for the opponent" and "what do you mean it's possible a team could come in here and we could actually . . . lose?" Classic nouveu riche stuff. But I suspect K's refusal to play them has to do with the referreeing, not the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Real classy Jason.

Hope everything's OK with Lute.
    great post and im with you hope every thing is ok

The animosity goes back at least to the first time they played in '87 in Tucson -- teams that would both later be in the final four. K was griping a lot about the refereeing (UofA won by eight in a great game; that was their best team, with Sean Elliot and Steve Kerr). When interviewed about it, Lute referred to K rather disdainfully as "Krzyzewski," and it was clear there was no love lost between them. Apparently, the relationship stayed chilly.

Duke did not play in the 1987 Final Four.

Duke played in Tucson on 12/30/87 and lost 91-85
    Both teams did play in the Final Four later that year, the 1988 Final Four.

arizona memory

thanks for the stories. my only memory of a duke/arizona game would be the national championship game in 2001. seem to remember arizona having a difficult time getting out to cover the open three's on the wing in transition in the 2nd half.

I wish Olsen all the best. I mean him no harm.

I've been unsurprised that the only times Duke could get together to play Arizona, it would either be on a neutral location or in Tuscon. Could the athletic departments at these institutions not be able to come to terms to get the teams together in Cameron? In light of this, I was highly surprised to see Lute bring his bunch into the hole's place last year. Maybe due to the fact that he left with a large "L" might offer some insight as to why they've not come to Gothica.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Lute referred to K rather disdainfully as "Krzyzewski,"
    That's harsh, man. Harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I wish Olsen all the best. I mean him no harm.

I've been unsurprised that the only times Duke could get together to play Arizona, it would either be on a neutral location or in Tuscon. Could the athletic departments at these institutions not be able to come to terms to get the teams together in Cameron? In light of this, I was highly surprised to see Lute bring his bunch into the hole's place last year. Maybe due to the fact that he left with a large "L" might offer some insight as to why they've not come to Gothica.
    Arizona came to Cameron at least once -- in 1990. And the Heels put that drubbing on Arizona last year in Tucson. Sad to say, it was the single most impressive performance of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    That's harsh, man. Harsh.

All in the tone of voice. He got his message across. And I think the conventions of coachspeak dictate that K be referred to as "Mike" or "Coach Krzyzewski" under such circumstances, absent some underlying feud.

Lute noise

I seem to remember a rather constant mumble from Lute about the east coast media bias in general, and the darling Dukies in specific. He always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder about getting no respect out west. He was never afraid to make sarcastic remarks about specific players such as JJ which reminds me of another coach and a word that I used to describe him.The coach? el Deano...the word? SNIDE. Now that I think about it, that's probably why I never really cared for Lute (though not obsessed with him as i was with Dean Smith)...he is simply...snide!

Divorce???

I've heard through the grapevine that he is getting a divorce, thus, he needs the time to seperate himself from the game for a while.
    But, who knows???
    This could be totally off.

Quote Originally Posted by dbowen View Post
    I've heard through the grapevine that he is getting a divorce, thus, he needs the time to seperate himself from the game for a while.
    But, who knows???
    This could be totally off.
    ...and after we spent a year grieving his first wife. Too bad.

Wins and losses

Just out of curiosity, who will get the wins and losses while Olson is out?

If he doesn't take them, will he get as much criticism as Coach K did in '95?