View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite Dukie?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Williams

83 38.97%
  • Johnny Dawkins

130 61.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Vote For Jwill!!!

VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!! VOTE FOR JWILL!!!

I can not emphasize this enough! JWill is responsible for more "oh my god" moments than anyone else in the history of Duke basketball. (The MIRACLE MINUTE, anyone????!)

Don't let my favorite player make an early exit here! Vindicate that non-foul call on Boozer -- Vote JWill!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    [SIZE=3]
    JWill is responsible for more "oh my god" moments than anyone else in the history of Duke basketball.

Don't let my favorite player make an early exit here!
    Early? Williams is in Zeus-like company.

Most "oh my god" moments?" Well, Maryland was fantastic, and JW's smile is spectacular, as was his chess and volleyball, but, dude (trying to get in touch with the youth of today), you must not have watched the other 3 guys in our final four--they have all produced as many moments as JWill (who, by the way, I--of course--think is spectacular). JD's lancing, penetrating, left-handed jump shots were unique and frequently took over games. I don't think I've seen anyone do the JD jumpshot in 20 years.

By the way, who do you think is K's favorite player?

This is really really tough. I love them both.

My vote goes to JD. In addition to being a great bball player Johnny is just class in my opinion.

A Vote for JD

I registered for this just so I could vote for JD. After seeing his play personally for his last two years, there is nobody that was more important to Duke basketball over the last 20+ years (outside of Coach K) than JD.

He almost single-handedly willed Duke to victory in the 1986 title game. He was one of the most clutch players that Duke ever saw (ask David Rivers). And he did it all with the class.

While Jason was great, he never instilled the sense of confidence that he could pull out a win, regardless of the circumstance (Maryland and Kentucky games being the exception). While he didn't win them all, I always felt more confident when JD had the ball than J-Will.

I'm not an old-timer. I was in school with JWill for two of his three seasons. The national championship in '01 was one of my favorite nights of my life.
    But I voted for Johnny Dawkins. I grew up a Duke fan, and though I have no recollection of JD playing, I have heard my father exalt him (and Gene Banks) all my life. And this right here pretty much sealed the deal for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Without JD this board would not exist.

Down 10... 54 seconds to go

As of this post, I see that JWill, my personal favorite player ever, is down 10.

I can only hope that my fellow DBR posters will continue to vote to support Jason with him down by 10, just like Jason refused to give up with Duke down 10 at Maryland... or with Duke down 22 (again vs. Maryland) in the Final Four... etc. etc.

JWILL JWILL ROCK YOU!

I am curious if there is some way to split up the voting by era of attendance. Shane and JWill are fabulous players, but JD and GHill are more contemporaneous and thus rank higher among my favorites. I guess what I am trying to get at is how the demographics of the people that post here influence the voting.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Early? Williams is in Zeus-like company.
    No doubt that JWill is in great company here, but any exit is too early.

Most "oh my god" moments?" Well, Maryland was fantastic, and JW's smile is spectacular, as was his chess and volleyball, but, dude (trying to get in touch with the youth of today), you must not have watched the other 3 guys in our final four--they have all produced as many moments as JWill (who, by the way, I--of course--think is spectacular). JD's lancing, penetrating, left-handed jump shots were unique and frequently took over games. I don't think I've seen anyone do the JD jumpshot in 20 years.
    I've watched all the guys in our Final Four. (Obviously, I watched Shane if I watched Jason.) Admittedly, I watched less of JD (simply because there was less of JD available on TV to watch) than I watched of the others. In fact, Grant was my favorite player of all-time until my junior year at Duke when JWill came along. I consider myself extremely fortunate in that my tenure at Duke overlapped with President Battier and VP Williams, and I am eagerly looking forward to a JWill vs. Battier final showdown in this poll.

By the way, who do you think is K's favorite player?
    Good question - I'm not too sure. I'd guess it'd be among JD, Hurley, JWill, Wojo, and Battier. You really can't go wrong with any of those guys...

Who do you think?

JWill vs JD

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    JWill vs. Johnny Dawkins

Jason... I hate you for this.
    Whew, for a few moments there 'los I thought you were expressing your hatred for J(ason)Will which shoulda/woulda qualified you for some sort of long-term/permanent banning based on posting guidelines for negativity. Then, after careful deliberation and reading another post on another poll, I realize you were professing hatred for J(ason) Evans and that is certainly fair game (just kidding JE)

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm not an old-timer. I was in school with JWill for two of his three seasons. The national championship in '01 was one of my favorite nights of my life.
    But I voted for Johnny Dawkins. I grew up a Duke fan, and though I have no recollection of JD playing, I have heard my father exalt him (and Gene Banks) all my life. And this right here pretty much sealed the deal for me:

Wow. It's difficult for me to imagine how you could have went to school during JWill's tenure and not vote for him here, particularly if you've admittedly never seen JD play.

Don't get me wrong... JD is an amazing player, arguably (and nearly inarguably) the most important player in Duke history, but I feel that a "favorite" player would have to be someone that you've seen play on several occasions... someone where you felt the pain of their early career struggles and felt the joys as they grew into greatness.

Hurley, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Good question - I'm not too sure. I'd guess it'd be among JD, Hurley, JWill, Wojo, and Battier. You really can't go wrong with any of those guys...

Who do you think?
    I think I remember hearing Coach K say in an interview that Hurley is the player that he wishes he could've been, or something to that effect. I'm not sure how long ago this was. Does anyone else remember this?

Quote Originally Posted by tridevil View Post
    While Jason was great, he never instilled the sense of confidence that he could pull out a win, regardless of the circumstance (Maryland and Kentucky games being the exception). While he didn't win them all, I always felt more confident when JD had the ball than J-Will.
    Do you remember the NCAA tournament in 2001 prior to the Final Four? JWILL did exactly what you are describing against a game athletic USC team in the Final 8. If he doesn't play one of his greatest games that day, Battier probably leaves without a title.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Do you remember the NCAA tournament in 2001 prior to the Final Four? JWILL did exactly what you are describing against a game athletic USC team in the Final 8. If he doesn't play one of his greatest games that day, Battier probably leaves without a title.
    I also remember the UCLA game where I beleive J-Will scored 12 points in a row for us at one point.

jason williams

i have to vote for williams, he was great at duke

All four of the final 4 are pretty evenly matched. Each contributed in multiple ways and all were leaders, thus making each and every one of them candidates for both best player and favorite player, IMO (that does not mean a few others might not qualify as well). In this matchup, however, i believe we have a clear winner, albeit not by a lot. That would be JD. Why? Well, put Jason on the JD led teams and JD on the Jason led teams. That ought to make it clear who most made their teammates, and therefore their teams, better. That is the frosting that makes a great player also a favorite player. Jason was one of our greats, but JD wins this matchup.
    Last edited by madscavenger; 11-05-2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: adding a word for emphasis
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Tough

I LOVE JWill and always will. But JD committed to Duke -- and become the catalyst to renewed greatness. No matter how I try, I can't find a way to discount this. No one should be appreciated more for committing to DUKE.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You've probably not noticed but I've stayed away from this because voting for someone seems too much like voting against someone. Who wants to vote against Tate Armstrong or Chris Carrawell? But that's just me.

But I'm going to break my self-imposed moratorium to say a few words about Mr. Dawkins. His stats sure look impressive on paper. 2556 points. Two-time consenseus first-team All-America. Only Duke player to make All-ACC four seasons. Only Duke player to lead the team in scoring four seasons. 1986 Naismith winner. [ as an aside, both JD and JWill were national players of the year without being ACC players of the year; an interesting accomplishment]

But look at the context. On March 5, 1982 Duke finished its season with an 88-53 loss to Wake Forest in the first round of the ACC Tournament. The loss was Duke's 17th, a school record for futility. Mike Krzyzewski inherited three future NBA players from Bill Foster. But Gene Banks and Kenny Dennard were seniors, Vince Taylor was a junior.

Mike Krzyzewski's first two recruiting classes produced exactly one ACC-caliber starter, Dan Meagher, and he was a role player. Krzyzewski was sending Todd Anderson against Ralph Sampson, Doug McNeely against James Worthy, Greg Wendt against Michael Jordan, and it wasn't pretty. The wolves were at the door and not just Valvano's wolves. Coaching is one thing but you don't win in the ACC unless you can bring in talent and there were plenty of critics who maintained that Krzyzewski was in over his head.

Krzyzewski got early committments from the class of '82 from Bill Jackman and Weldon Williams, top-100 talents who never played much at Duke. Jay Bilas was next and Bilas was higher on the charts but still not a prep All-American. Duke needed a statement player. Desperately.

Then only a few days after the loss to Wake, Mike Krzyzewski got the call he had been waiting for. Johnny Dawkins was coming to Durham. Make no mistake, Johnny Dawkins was nobody's sleeper. He was a McDonald's All-American, a Parade All-American. He could have gone anywhere. Digger Phelps wanted him so badly he couldn't stand it. Lefty Driesell, Providence, pretty much the entire Big East. But Dawkins told them no, told Krzyzewski yes, and Duke basketball was on the way back up the charts. Mark Alarie picked Duke a few weeks later, then David Henderson, a few weeks after that, and Tommy Amaker the following season and all cited the presence of Johnny Dawkins as a key factor in their decisions.

It didn't happen overnight and JD would be the first to tell you he didn't do it alone. But to a man, Alarie, Amaker, Ferry, and the rest will tell you they got in line behind Johnny Dawkins and followed his lead. And Dawkins did it without preening, with strutting, but with a grace and composure that was even more chilling to opponents than any amount of taunting. We've won before and we're going to win again. We've been here. Get used to it.

I make no claim that Mike Krzyzewski couldn't have done it without Dawkins. Fortunately, we'll never have to find out. But he sure did it with Johnny Dawkins, a player who combined natural talent, skill, hard work, and class as well as anyone could have. So JD gets my vote.
    I've been away from the board for the past 20 hours or so which is why my response to this post is late but still I just wanted to say...

Amen, Jim!! What a beautifully made campaign statement. When you wrote it the poll was essentially a dead heat. I am not sure if you are responsible, but since you wrote that JD has vaulted out to about a 20-vote lead.

--Jason "97-75 as I write this" Evans

Hi,

Does the voting history reflect that younger people spend more time on the net than older people? Just got to the party late and voted for JD. This was a rather easy call for this relatively older guy.

-Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I've been away from the board for the past 20 hours or so which is why my response to this post is late but still I just wanted to say...

Amen, Jim!! What a beautifully made campaign statement. When you wrote it the poll was essentially a dead heat. I am not sure if you are responsible, but since you wrote that JD has vaulted out to about a 20-vote lead.

--Jason "97-75 as I write this" Evans
    Whoooaaa!! Something strange has happened. From 97-75 it has gone to 111-76. So of the past 15 votes, 14 of them have been JD fans.

I am not going to look at every IP address or anything, but, be honest folks, is anyone creating fake IDs to stuff the ballot box? I am rooting for JD in this poll, but that would be waaaay uncool.

--Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Without JD this board would not exist.
    Absolutely. Yes, JWill was amazing. I'll always adore him as a player and as a fellow Blue Devil. But JD is the reason we have a JWill to admire. And a Grant Hill. And a Shane Battier. He was the spark that started this fire. And what he has given the team both as a player and as a coach cannot be matched.