Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jlear View Post
    I don't think we played any zone.
    We did at the very end of the game. I even pointed it out to my wife, "LOOK, A 2-3 ZONE!"

Zone was played the last 6 minutes of the game I believe. It was good to see Marty get in the game early enough today for some man-to-man defense (he still was there mostly during 2-3 D though).

I don't know if Awaaz (the South Asian event in Page - really awesome by the way) had a large effect on turnout. This was the one game of the year that undergrads need tickets to get into, and they went on sale weeks ago. I'm pretty sure the allotment for the student section sold out. Seemed like a fairly packed student section to me (granted parents and grandparents aren't usually as keen on squishing together and standing and jumping for 2+ hours as college students- they sat down here and there, which takes up more room than usual).

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    We did at the very end of the game. I even pointed it out to my wife, "LOOK, A 2-3 ZONE!"
    I guess I Zoned out.

So far Singler is the real deal, with a complete game. Apparently effortless scoring, rebounds, can handle the ball. Nelson can't throw the ball in the ocean when standing on the shore line. 8-25 in two games. That will not cut it. Had a good floor game, but he needs to bring his shot next time. Scheyer has had great floor games, had rebounded, stolen the ball, assisted well, but again can't get his shot. Has gotten to the line where he is automatic. Nolan Smith got pulled early when he got caught watching the play on defense. Came back to make good assists, no turnovers, several nice shots. Marty had a fabulous assist on a fast break when he gave up the ball to the trialer rather than forcing a shot. Taylor King was cold from 3. Rebounded well, but hasn't gotten himself to the line--which is tough to do when you shoot from 30. Paulus is clearly pressing. For the first time since he came to Duke he is in a competitive fight and doesn't seem to be enjoying it. Zoubek played better tonight--stayed more within himself. Test still comes when he goes up against legitimate big men. He needs to stand his ground on defense. His guards need to get him the ball in position to score. Made a good move--took a pass, took a dribble, laid the ball in the hole. He really doesn't have to score, just stand his ground on defense, rebound, outlet, and screen. Henderson just makes it look easy. I have not seen him consistently turn on the jets. He his holding something back, which is really scary. They will have to shoot better than 6-27 from three to be effective.

This was my first game as a grad student, after four years as a Duke undergrad (and a one year break). It was good to be back in Cameron, but I'm really looking forward to the regular season games. Some thoughts:

1) I'll echo everything that's been said on Singler- he handles the ball well, he rebounds well, he puts points on the board. That said, let's wait and see what he does against the true big men of the ACC before annointing him the best offensive player in the conference.

2) Gerald Henderson, on the other hand, may lay claim to that title someday, and is just an exciting player to watch. He and Nelson will give his team versatility and depth like none of the other teams I've been in Cameron to see.

3) The Blue Devils have a point guard, ans his name is Nolan Smith. I heard Coach K talk about how we're going to run more this season, and seeing it in action, there is no question that Smith needs to be leading the offense when it is up-tempo like it was today. In addition, watching Paulus get beat by the 5-10 Barton guard was pretty embarassing, and Greg had a number of stupid touch fouls on the outside.

4) The two crowd favorites, Marty and Zoubek, are two of the least useful scholarship players on the roster. The only thing I saw Zoubek do well all game was set picks... and Marty has passion and intensity, but I don't think he has much to add skill-wise to this current Blue Devil team- the team has better defenders, better shooters, better passers, and better ball handlers.

Overall, I was pretty disgusted after the first few minutes, but pleasantly surprised by the way things turned out. The fast-tempo is something to get used to, particularly for the fans who won't be able to get into the "Let's Go Duke" and other cadences during offensive sets. The players, of course, seem to be able to do it well, so long as they stop trying an alley-oop on every fast break. Finally, I reserve complete optimism until we play a team with legitimate size, probably not until Wisconsin with Brian Butch.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Nelson can't throw the ball in the ocean when standing on the shore line. 8-25 in two games. That will not cut it. Had a good floor game, but he needs to bring his shot next time.
    Well I'm glad you state that he had a good floor game. Becasue while I agree that shooting 8-25 will not cut it, I am impressed with his other stats over the two games:

Code:
    	Shaw	Barton 	Total
    Assists	3	4	7
    T/O	1	0	1
    Rebs	8	3	11
    Steals	3	6	9
    Those are some impressive numbers, especially the assists to turnover ratio. Some fans knocked Nelson's game last year due to turnovers even though he was our leading scorer. He doesn't have to be offensive option number one this year so his good "floor game" is what the team needs.
    Bob Green

" Schyer may be in a shooting slump. It is the 3rd game now that he failed to shoot well."

as i have been pointing out for months, this is normal for him. he is not a shooter. scorer sometimes, shooter not.

There are some cool photos courtesy of GoDuke's Photo Gallery. I found 2 of them to be quite notable.

This one I just had to post in large size:

And we really need a caption contest on this one:

--Jason "can you hear me now?" Evans

Like most others who didn't see the exhibition games, I'm anxious to see the team play. I don't think there is much to take away from the two games against inferior competition. The three point shooting has been poor but that is often the case for teams at the beginning of the season. I see this team as an average to good three-point shooting team. The foul shooting, on the other hand, has been outstanding. Hope that it continues throughout the season.

I note that Thomas and Zoubek played a total of 32 minutes. Did King join Singler on the frontline during the remaining eight minutes or did we go small with four perimeter players? I also note that Thomas and Zoubek only got six shots between them. Were we not feeding the post?

Since we scored over a 100 points for the second straight game and didn't hit three-pointers, I presume that most of our points were off turnovers or drives to the basket. Even the worst team on the Devils' schedule will not turn the ball over 36 times and be outrebounded by 18. Coach K is a master at getting his team to play hard, regardless of the opposition. This has resulted in two blowouts but before we start to anoint some as the "best" or, in some cases, "worthless", we should wait a few games against decent competition.

It is probably my age, but I don't believe we should slam 19-22 year olds who wear the Duke uniform. Yes, we can point out bad games or areas of needed improvement. We can argue about playing time but it seems to me that the neverending criticism of certain players is not necessary. In the past, I felt that the players or their families could visit this site and not be offended. I don't think that is case for certain players on this year's team.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Like most others who didn't see the exhibition games, I'm anxious to see the team play. I don't think there is much to take away from the two games against inferior competition. The three point shooting has been poor but that is often the case for teams at the beginning of the season. I see this team as an average to good three-point shooting team. The foul shooting, on the other hand, has been outstanding. Hope that it continues throughout the season.

I note that Thomas and Zoubek played a total of 32 minutes. Did King join Singler on the frontline during the remaining eight minutes or did we go small with four perimeter players? I also note that Thomas and Zoubek only got six shots between them. Were we not feeding the post?

Since we scored over a 100 points for the second straight game and didn't hit three-pointers, I presume that most of our points were off turnovers or drives to the basket. Even the worst team on the Devils' schedule will not turn the ball over 36 times and be outrebounded by 18. Coach K is a master at getting his team to play hard, regardless of the opposition. This has resulted in two blowouts but before we start to anoint some as the "best" or, in some cases, "worthless", we should wait a few games against decent competition.

It is probably my age, but I don't believe we should slam 19-22 year olds who wear the Duke uniform. Yes, we can point out bad games or areas of needed improvement. We can argue about playing time but it seems to me that the neverending criticism of certain players is not necessary. In the past, I felt that the players or their families could visit this site and not be offended. I don't think that is case for certain players on this year's team.

gw67
    These 2 games do not tell the story for Duke. I am anxious to see some competetion that we cannot just out athlete. I want to see what we can do against a team as big or bigger than us. In these games we have just had a run and dunk drill, from what I read and see. When we have to play some 1/2 court offense we will see if this is a good team or possibly good team. That said, I think we might have a good one on our hands!

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Actually, at one point, we had Marty, Gerald, Jon, Markie, and Greg on the floor together. Barton had gone to a five guard lineup, and we matched them.

Since we scored over a 100 points for the second straight game and didn't hit three-pointers, I presume that most of our points were off turnovers or drives to the basket.
    I'd guess that about half our FGs came in transition or on the secondary break. We also made 27 FTs.

gw67
    I wish more posters here had your attitude about slamming the players, but, alas, it isn't so.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by mehmattski View Post
    4) The two crowd favorites, Marty and Zoubek, are two of the least useful scholarship players on the roster. The only thing I saw Zoubek do well all game was set picks... and Marty has passion and intensity, but I don't think he has much to add skill-wise to this current Blue Devil team- the team has better defenders, better shooters, better passers, and better ball handlers.

Overall, I was pretty disgusted after the first few minutes, but pleasantly surprised by the way things turned out. The fast-tempo is something to get used to, particularly for the fans who won't be able to get into the "Let's Go Duke" and other cadences during offensive sets. The players, of course, seem to be able to do it well, so long as they stop trying an alley-oop on every fast break. Finally, I reserve complete optimism until we play a team with legitimate size, probably not until Wisconsin with Brian Butch.
    I'm not sure I watched the same Marty Pocius last night that you did. I also believe it's flawed to say that he doesn't add much skill-wise to the team because the squad has guys who are better defenders, shooters, passers, and ball handlers. Frankly, you can say that about anyone on the team. Under that model, what does Jon Scheyer bring to the table as there are better shooters, defenders, and ball handler on the squad?

Additionally, looking basketball players in such a one-dimensional fashion has absolutely no relevance to the way the game is played. If a guy was the best shooter on the team but couldn't put the ball on the floor and get to basket would you play him over another guy who was slightly less skilled as a shooter but could also drive the basketball? Right now, from what we've seen in the two exhibition games one could make an argument that there is nobody on the team who can shoot as well from the outside and drive the ball to the hoop. Maybe Henderson who is a better finisher around the rim, but Pocius has a better stroke from the outside.

I'd also add that Pocius is passing the ball extremely well right now with and assist last night (a beautiful and unselfish pass on a fast break) and two passes that could have been ruled assists in the Shaw game. You can have legitimate concerns about his defense, but that appears to have improved over the summer.

Finally, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, the New Mexico State game will give Duke an opponent with plenty of size. They'll start a 7-foot guy along with a 6-9 guy. Out in Maui they'll possibly face Illinois with 6-10 Shaun Pruitt and 6-8 Brian Randle. The other potential opponent out there may is Marquette with Ousmane Barro at 6-10 and Dan Fitzgerald at 6-9. So Duke's going to face plenty of solid big guys long before Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    So far Singler is the real deal, with a complete game. Apparently effortless scoring, rebounds, can handle the ball.
    Henderson just makes it look easy. I have not seen him consistently turn on the jets. He his holding something back, which is really scary. They will have to shoot better than 6-27 from three to be effective.
    It is hard to believe the Kyle Singler is a freshman. He's everything that was advertised and more by our best mavens (Arnie, Watzone and Carlos in no particular order).

Henderson made the play of the game. Getting the ball near the "Coach K Court" decal on the right side (what's that? 33 feet from the basket, i.e., Taylor King range), he took two dribbles and tomahawk-slammed it home with his left hand on a long glide. Simply amazing! He flew to the basket.

When we start hitting our 3's at a normal percentage, we will be simply an amazing scoring machine.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Actually, at one point, we had Marty, Gerald, Jon, Markie, and Greg on the floor together. Barton had gone to a five guard lineup, and we matched them.
    Ouch, teams dare not go small against us.

Scary Quote

This is from the DBR write-up:

It’s also becoming clear that Brian Zoubek’s injury has really set him back. He’s never going to be the most agile player in the world, but last season he was vastly more mobile. He seems at times reluctant to jump, and is defending and rebounding (and at times shooting) without leaving the floor. He’ll get better, but right now, his mobility is still limited.

Wow, Zoubek was incredibly clumsy last year, and his turnover (travel) per minute played ratio was off the charts. I can't imagine he is possibly worse. Could that be? Can somebody chime is who watched the 2 games?

We really need a big man, and losing Monroe hurts. Not sure if Monroe was the answer (many people say he has more of an inside out game), but surprised the staff didn't go after multiple big men hard for this year's class, as well as next year's after seeing Zoubek play his freshman year.

I am very worried.

On the bright side, it seems like Nolan Smith could be point gaurd ready sooner than many had thought. Maybe he starts at PG by next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Dukie View Post

It’s also becoming clear that Brian Zoubek’s injury has really set him back. He’s never going to be the most agile player in the world, but last season he was vastly more mobile. He seems at times reluctant to jump, and is defending and rebounding (and at times shooting) without leaving the floor. He’ll get better, but right now, his mobility is still limited.

Wow, Zoubek was incredibly clumsy last year, and his turnover (travel) per minute played ratio was off the charts. I can't imagine he is possibly worse. Could that be? Can somebody chime is who watched the 2 games?

We really need a big man, and losing Monroe hurts. Not sure if Monroe was the answer (many people say he has more of an inside out game), but surprised the staff didn't go after multiple big men hard for this year's class, as well as next year's after seeing Zoubek play his freshman year.

I am very worried.
    Monroe wouldn't have helped us this year. I'll worry about next year, oh, maybe in May?
    ~rthomas

I thought Marty played a pretty good game last night. Solid defense and he penetrated offensively quite well, just missing a layup and two nice passes to his teammates. I really think Marty is one of the guys off the bench who can break down the defense by driving in. He seems more confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I'm not sure I watched the same Marty Pocius last night that you did.
    I felt that the assist you mentioned was his only good play of the game. I saw him drive to the basket many times and flail the ball up, only to be rescued by a rebound-basket by Singler, Henderson, or Scheyer. When I say there are better players at each skill set, I mean that there are multiple players on the team better at each skill, some of them better at multiple skills. Scheyer is a better ball-handler, better defender, and better shooter, but you were right to say that there are better players than Scheyer in those skill sets- which is why he's not starting. In a system like Duke's which doesn't put emphasis on positions but on skills, the depth chart should be based on those skills, and I believe Marty is rightfully placed ninth, ahead of only Zoubek and an injured McClure.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Finally, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, the New Mexico State game will give Duke an opponent with plenty of size. They'll start a 7-foot guy along with a 6-9 guy. Out in Maui they'll possibly face Illinois with 6-10 Shaun Pruitt and 6-8 Brian Randle. The other potential opponent out there may is Marquette with Ousmane Barro at 6-10 and Dan Fitzgerald at 6-9. So Duke's going to face plenty of solid big guys long before Wisconsin.
    Cool, good to know- I'll be looking forward to NM St then, that sounds like a good test for Singler and others.

I wouldn't expect the poor 3-pt shooting to continue. K has commented after both games that the guys aren't getting their feet set before shooting, which has caused the poor percentage. That's because they've been running and pushing the ball so hard that when they spot up, they've forgotten to slow down and get their body entirely under control first before shooting. We have good shooters and I'm not worried about the shooting percentages.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Dukie View Post

I am very worried.

On the bright side, it seems like Nolan Smith could be point gaurd ready sooner than many had thought. Maybe he starts at PG by next year.
    Zoubek doesn't have to jump, in general, and he really doesn't have to jump against Shaw and Barton, who have no size. I don't think he looks any worse skill-wise than last season, given the limited amount we saw him last season and the limited amount we've seen him this season. He needs to get his conditioning back but that's expected.